Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 10:21 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,454,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
They are popping up all over our cities and towns now. I haven't noticed a difference really, other than getting to drive around in a semi-circle. Why do engineering teams love them so much?
There are a couple of new roundabouts (within the last 5-10 years) near me. I live in a seasonal tourist area (summer/winter).

The roundabouts handle traffic without requiring a complete stop in most cases when traffic is light.

Other than handling traffic without the need for well-timed traffic lights, I don't know why they are suddenly in fashion.

Back when I was a kid they worked hard on eliminating traffic circles and replacing them with synchronized traffic lights. I guess synchronized traffic signals were a new toy for road engineers back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 10:28 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
There are a couple of new roundabouts (within the last 5-10 years) near me. I live in a seasonal tourist area (summer/winter).

The roundabouts handle traffic without requiring a complete stop in most cases when traffic is light.

Other than handling traffic without the need for well-timed traffic lights, I don't know why they are suddenly in fashion.

Back when I was a kid they worked hard on eliminating traffic circles and replacing them with synchronized traffic lights. I guess synchronized traffic signals were a new toy for road engineers back then.
It's just like every field, the more data you have, the more you're able to refine what uses are best for what situations (do you have a lot of space or are constrained, what's the demand for cars/pedestrians/cyclists, what is best from a safety perspective, what is the budget of the project etc....)

Old 02-16-2021, 10:59 AM

9,989 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

The main issue with synchronized traffic lights is they favor traffic flow along one flow direction at the expense of other flow directions. This can be useful in certain applications, such as if there's a predictable pattern of higher traffic volume toward a central employment node in the morning and away from the node in the evening. Roundabouts have roughly the opposite effect in that they give equal priority to each axis entering the intersection, assuming each axis is the same number of lanes.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
They are popping up all over our cities and towns now. I haven't noticed a difference really, other than getting to drive around in a semi-circle. Why do engineering teams love them so much?
My grievances with roundabouts are:

- They work until they don't. During high congestion periods, the benefits of this design begin to break down, as the glorieta is not a traffic CONTROL device, because it NEVER gives right of way to incoming traffic. Never. They sit at a YIELD sign and assume ALL risk when entering the intersection.

- The double lane roundabouts are a hair better, but not by much. The outer "lane", or lane segments to be specific, gives a protected pathway for traffic making an immediate right (in countries where traffic keeps right) but does nothing for drivers who are taking the 2nd turn, 3rd turn, etc.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
The rotaries with two lanes in the circle also add lots of lane-changing accidents to the mix, while making traffic engineers think they've somehow magically increased the capacity of the intersection.

Give me a proper overpass with service roads and stop lights, a proper overpass with cloverleaf, or a proper intersection with stop lights, left turn lanes, right turn only lanes, etc., any time. You put a serious load on a rotary and it just balls up till no one's moving in any direction. See, again, West Concord, Mass.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I like rotaries. They are safer too.
Thought I was the only one who liked them. I like that I can keep going - not have to stop and sit there for a few minutes at a traffic light. The one in Hyannis is the best! 3 lanes wide with no lines and 5 exits. Love watching tourists who have no idea what to do in that one.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:20 PM

13,634 posts, read 10,040,055 times
Don't worry, when you get used to them, and can judge the speed of cars coming round, you don't need to stop often. They work great, just as long as some twit doesn't get the idea of adding traffic lights too.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:21 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Thought I was the only one who liked them. I like that I can keep going - not have to stop and sit there for a few minutes at a traffic light. The one in Hyannis is the best! 3 lanes wide with no lines and 5 exits. Love watching tourists who have no idea what to do in that one.
Craziest roundabout ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22BOOGbpFM

Old 02-16-2021, 03:26 PM

13,634 posts, read 10,040,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
They are fun fun fun.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
This is fantastic! Now I need a road trip....er..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning