Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
There is a lot of choice (the US is pretty much unmatched in the world in giving people what they want), it's just that the vast majority prefer detached houses, car-ability and car-able neighborhoods.
Many cities, including Seattle have changed zoning to eliminate Single-Family-Residential zoning completely.
That means they can knock down a house and replace it with a 4-plex, and they are doing that there. In the suburbs, however, when the oldest homes are only 30-40 years old, and still in good shape, and sell for a million$, that's not likely to happen. Likewise when there is vacant property available in the suburbs, a developer would rather put 4,000 sf homes for $2 million each on every 5,000 sf parcel than an apartment building that will take years to get paid for in rent.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Let me guess, you'd rather have everyone live in single family homes and encourage single family zoning that contributes to climate change, car dependency, obesity, depression, segregation, and further worsening the housing crisis in this country?
YES, yes I do. I don't want to live in any shared wall environment, I want my own private backyard with a fence and large ever greens blocking that fence. I'm in excellent physical condition because I workout daily in the basement of my house. I like owning a car it gives me the ability to go wherever I want whenever I want. I don't have to wait for a bus, train etc and sit or stand next to strangers. Ill say it when many won't I want to live in an area where my neighbors generally look like me and have similar economic situations and to lesser extent political or religious beliefs. For the most part all these things I mentions generally means low crime rates and highly rated public schools.

This my friend is the suburbs, any many Americans love living in them. You want a urban utopia that's wonderful! Many of us don't want the concrete jungle.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:42 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Why the hell would I waste my time on some random's opinion about why he doesn't like suburbia. My helpful solution for the man is "don't live in suburbia then".
I gave the video a chance but once he started ranting about racism, I turned it off.

Old 04-06-2022, 03:55 PM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
You're missing the point, I'm not opposed to different lifestyles or home preferences. The problem is that American urban planners and NIMBYs have made it extremely difficult for mixed use development, and high density housing to be built which can solve our housing issues. Our culture prioritizes single family zoning with suburban sprawl everywhere that is actually hurting more than it helps
WHAT housing issues are you referring to?? In the Rochester, NY area, you can live in "high density" housing, within the center of the city, or within 15 minutes, you can be in the "burbs", and in 10 more minutes, be in the "boondocks". I simply don't see the problem.

Furthermore, most RESPONIBLE individuals don't want to live in an apartment, where a loud, or irresponsible person is living on the other side of a wall. Two examples....A girl that I dated, a number of years ago, lived in an apartment. One evening, we were in her living room, watching a movie on TV. The movie came to a really quiet scene, and I hear this "muffled sound". I look over to the girlfriend, she sees my quizzical look, and says, "Don't worry, that's only John (the guy in the next apartment) snoring, as his bedroom backs up to our living room". And this guy didn't have a loud stereo (like many have), he simply snored when he slept.....

Also, very recently, in the area, some fool in an apartment somehow or other started his apartment on fire. When all was said and done, 18 units of the complex were heavily damaged. The fire marshal's initial comment was that the fire's origin was "suspicious".

Think I'd want to live like that??

Old 04-06-2022, 04:57 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
You're missing the point, I'm not opposed to different lifestyles or home preferences. The problem is that American urban planners and NIMBYs have made it extremely difficult for mixed use development, and high density housing to be built which can solve our housing issues. Our culture prioritizes single family zoning with suburban sprawl everywhere that is actually hurting more than it helps
Really? I'm not seeing this at all.

In places where there's plenty of land, surely not at all.

Are you proposing throwing up giant apt bldgs next to single family homes? Of course those home owners would be opposed- their whole environment would be changed. What if that single family house was YOUR dream home?

Old 04-06-2022, 07:20 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Let me guess - Harry the Hipster who narrates the video, wants everyone to live in little shoeboxes and walk everywhere because a) thats all he can afford and b) he can't own a car?
Pretty much.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
...I'm not opposed to different lifestyles or home preferences. The problem is that American urban planners and NIMBYs have made it extremely difficult for mixed use development, and high density housing to be built which can solve our housing issues. Our culture prioritizes single family zoning with suburban sprawl everywhere that is actually hurting more than it helps
What you call a problem, I call a choice. Our culture does prioritize single family zoning because that is how most of us grew up and how most of us want to live. Most of us don't want to live in or next to high density housing. I wouldn't mind more small businesses that cater to local residents, if that's what mixed use developments truly meant; however, I have been a participant in numerous city planning events, but what actually gets built is high-density apartments to bring in additional revenue to the businesses that are already in an area, to boost their revenue, yet no more new shops for those who live in the area, whether they are in single family houses or apartments. Investors profit, but not residents, especially not long-term residents.

You use the word "NIMBY" as a pejorative. To me, the YIYBY's are the problem, i.e. the "Yes, in YOUR backyard" folks.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:34 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What you call a problem, I call a choice. Our culture does prioritize single family zoning because that is how most of us grew up and how most of us want to live. Most of us don't want to live in or next to high density housing. I wouldn't mind more small businesses that cater to local residents, if that's what mixed use developments truly meant; however, I have been a participant in numerous city planning events, but what actually gets built is high-density apartments to bring in additional revenue to the businesses that are already in an area, to boost their revenue, yet no more new shops for those who live in the area, whether they are in single family houses or apartments. Investors profit, but not residents, especially not long-term residents.

You use the word "NIMBY" as a pejorative. To me, the YIYBY's are the problem, i.e. the "Yes, in YOUR backyard" folks.
I don't disagree. However Houston's managed to do this with voluntary restrictive covenants rather than zoning laws.

There's plenty of single family housing being built there despite being able to literally build whatever you want absent any restrictive covenants. Proving once again that the market is a better arbiter of what the people want than the government.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:24 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Car dependent suburbs are garbage, and he's right despite his obnoxious tone(I prefer Not Just Bikes).

For those of you whining about muh freedom/choices, being forced to own a car to drive everywhere isn't freedom. Also, none of you have explained why dense multifamily housing should be banned thanks to current zoning restrictions. The bottom line is building ONLY single-family housing in the cities and surrounding burbs is stupid and could become catastrophic.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:46 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Car dependent suburbs are garbage, and he's right despite his obnoxious tone(I prefer Not Just Bikes).

For those of you whining about muh freedom/choices, being forced to own a car to drive everywhere isn't freedom. Also, none of you have explained why dense multifamily housing should be banned thanks to current zoning restrictions. The bottom line is building ONLY single-family housing in the cities and surrounding burbs is stupid and could become catastrophic.
Who's being forced to live in surburbs? No one in this country is forced to live anywhere or forced to have a car or forced to not have a car.

But you're talking about requiring every location to offer all things to all people. That's not only impossible, all it would do is manage to make everyone unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning