Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:13 AM

7,854 posts, read 3,843,001 times

Advertisements

America was founded by rugged individuals who created government to secure their rights and leave them alone.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:37 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Not really - as it actually costs a significant chunk of money to upkeep a car and the related infrastructure, which takes up a TON of space.
Wanna play, gotta pay......

Those of us who live in "the burbs" are here because A) we want to be; and B) we're willing to WORK for it. From where I sit, most of those who promote "high density, city living" are those who cannot afford to live anywhere else.....then try to mock those who don't agree.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:48 AM

9,509 posts, read 9,830,587 times
Again it's about control. Much easier to control a population that is stacked on top of each other in tiny apartments in blocks upon blocks of steel and concrete vertical high rises.

You did see how China did that during the Communist China Made Pandemic didn't you? They are still controlling their people like that as we speak.

Dang, I wonder why COVID spread so quick in those types of places?

Old 04-07-2022, 09:53 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Again it's about control. Much easier to control a population that is stacked on top of each other in tiny apartments in blocks upon blocks of steel and concrete vertical high rises.
Yup - and then you force these people to travel along / and in gov controlled routes (trains, busses). Want to venture away from these routes? Can't do it.

I enjoy short periods of urban life, but the thought that it should be 100% of our existence is not a pleasant thought.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:57 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Wanna play, gotta pay......

Those of us who live in "the burbs" are here because A) we want to be; and B) we're willing to WORK for it. From where I sit, most of those who promote "high density, city living" are those who cannot afford to live anywhere else.....then try to mock those who don't agree.
Cities now have some of the most expensive properties, so "affording to live anywhere else" is not a problem for many city people, or even most in some cities. Most city people are also "where we want to be."

City people work for what they have also, sometimes much harder than those that live in generic suburbs.

I get that some people's fe-fees get hurt when their lifestyle gets called boring, generic, and wasteful. Poor babies. In the meantime hearing from suburbanites assuming that everyone in the city is living some poor, dirty, dangerous lifestyle among scary drug-addled homeless and minorities is just plan incorrect and offensive.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:08 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
America was founded by rugged individuals who created government to secure their rights and leave them alone.
This. There are plenty of airborne concrete boxes on the market if you want to live in one. Also plenty of suburban homes if that's your thing. Plenty of 10+ acre ranches if that appeals to you. That's the beauty of freedom.

I'll take a hard pass. I like seeing green stuff out of my window and living closer to the ground and being able to get in my car whenever I like to go wherever I like without having to depend on a smelly subway train.

Suburban lifestyles may be generic, boring and/or wasteful (and frankly so are the newly developed "town-center" type mixed use developments that pop up here). My money, my choices.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:15 AM

453 posts, read 302,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Let me guess, you'd rather have everyone live in single family homes and encourage single family zoning that contributes to climate change, car dependency, obesity, depression, segregation, and further worsening the housing crisis in this country?
Whoops ratio LOL.

I don't agree with anything you stated here. Also isn't factual considering the ECONOMIC and CRIME RIDDEN DISASTERS of the precious urban cities.

America is the land where 80% of the nation were farmers in the 1800's - we LOVE OUR LAND AND OUR CARS. IMMIGRANTS came here with nothing, purchased hundreds of acres and DEVELOPED the very communities you think you know better than.

Are you denying the HISTORY of military members coming home from WW2 and relishing their small yard and picket fence.

We are not about to be forced into political slavery to some ideologies we disagree with. Especially by some international bribes intended to hook our ignorant local politicians into agreeing to nonsense like exchanging a park for certain educational commitments in the schools.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:17 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Let me guess, you'd rather have everyone live in single family homes and encourage single family zoning that contributes to climate change, car dependency, obesity, depression, segregation, and further worsening the housing crisis in this country?
I'd rather everyone have freedom and the Government stay out of it.

I know best what I want, not some faceless bureaucrat who's never produced a single useful thing their entire lives.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Not really - as it actually costs a significant chunk of money to upkeep a car and the related infrastructure, which takes up a TON of space.
And well worth it to maintain our freedom.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:39 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I'd rather everyone have freedom and the Government stay out of it.

I know best what I want, not some faceless bureaucrat who's never produced a single useful thing their entire lives.
Police
Fire
Municipal water
Municipal waste
Storm sewage
Road construction and maintenance
Courts/dispute settlements
Public utilities and right of way (gas, electric, internet)
Public services (sidewalks, parks, etc)
Public schools
Etc

Sorry bubba, the government has a role in yours and everyone’s availability of choices. You are not an island, alone in a shack in the woods.

Your choices have impacts on others, as do other people have impacts on yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning