Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 12:45 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

There's no precedent for a massive, long-term, region-wide decrease in office demand. Not on this scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 04:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

There's no precedent for a massive, long-term, region-wide decrease in office demand. Not on this scale.
I don't think it's that big of a deal. I can't say that my company is representative of all companies, but of our 250+ employees, I can think of only a handful (myself included) that work from home full-time.

If there's less demand for office space, the price per square foot will go down. If there just isn't enough demand for office space, the space will likely be adaptively reused for something else. Yes, there may be hardship for some during the transition. (bankruptcies, foreclosures, etc.) But, as the poster you're replying to has said, an equilibrium will eventually be reached. And I don't believe that will involve abandoned buildings, generally.

In many cities, where there isn't enough demand for office space, office buildings (at least the older ones) are turned into residential buildings. If the price per square foot adjusts enough, it might make sense for an adjacent college/university to utilize that space for dormitories, administrative space, or teaching space.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:14 PM

Your company isn't indicative of the market. There's good data on this, based on phones. It's also clear to the commercial real estate people. A massive percentage is not coming in on the average day, or even the peak day (Tues-Weds-Thurs).

The media loves the conversion idea, but they're much harder in reality due to cost as well as the unsuitability of many buildings. Commercial real estate people tend to scoff at the idea being more than a niche in most cities. If the floorplates are too wide they just don't work, because nobody is paying top dollar for residential space 40 feet from the nearest window. Basically they work mostly in old buildings with less hall-to-window distance and only if the building is dirt cheap. Buildings only get that cheap when the office market is horrible or the building is completely obsolete. Owners need to be desperate. Worse, local codes often mean little can be saved other than the structure and some of the cladding.

Colleges and universities (and museums, hotels, data centers, whatever) can use the space, but it's generally cheaper to build new than do a full gut and renovation, even if the old building is cheap.

This is why conversions are usually in rust belt cities (Cleveland, Tacoma), or cities with extreme demand to support high prices (New York), or cities where demand is cratering especially hard and buildings often have single tenants (DC), but are difficult and limited in others...particularly with 2023 prices.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:12 PM

578 posts, read 300,440 times
Two institutions that have failed us becoming too costly for what they offer are as likely to decay together as apart.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:23 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:

During the Great Depression, unemployment (which I suppose you could call "unworking from home") went as high as 25%, and in some places even into the 30's. This would have a much larger effect since it would have impacted ALL workers and also would have taken away the income they would have used to patronize businesses.

What we have now is a nothingburger by comparison. Chill out.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:20 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Your company isn't indicative of the market. There's good data on this, based on phones. It's also clear to the commercial real estate people. A massive percentage is not coming in on the average day, or even the peak day (Tues-Weds-Thurs).

The media loves the conversion idea, but they're much harder in reality due to cost as well as the unsuitability of many buildings. Commercial real estate people tend to scoff at the idea being more than a niche in most cities. If the floorplates are too wide they just don't work, because nobody is paying top dollar for residential space 40 feet from the nearest window. Basically they work mostly in old buildings with less hall-to-window distance and only if the building is dirt cheap. Buildings only get that cheap when the office market is horrible or the building is completely obsolete. Owners need to be desperate. Worse, local codes often mean little can be saved other than the structure and some of the cladding.

Colleges and universities (and museums, hotels, data centers, whatever) can use the space, but it's generally cheaper to build new than do a full gut and renovation, even if the old building is cheap.

This is why conversions are usually in rust belt cities (Cleveland, Tacoma), or cities with extreme demand to support high prices (New York), or cities where demand is cratering especially hard and buildings often have single tenants (DC), but are difficult and limited in others...particularly with 2023 prices.
Here's my report on both back-to-office trends and the prospects for office building conversions in Center City Philadelphia, which appeared in the November print issue:

What Will Become of Philly's Vacant Office Space? | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 12-08-2023, 05:27 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
During the Great Depression, unemployment (which I suppose you could call "unworking from home") went as high as 25%, and in some places even into the 30's. This would have a much larger effect since it would have impacted ALL workers and also would have taken away the income they would have used to patronize businesses.

In the grand scheme of things, you're right.

But this discussion focuses on a particular part of the American cityscape and the segment of the labor market that defines it. The effect on those sectors is a good bit more significant. Review the thread topic, please.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:42 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
I was surprised when I read about Cleveland office buildings being converted to residential space:
https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the...tch-of-housing
That was not a thing when I worked in Cleveland in 1980. Hard to believe that 1980 is nearly 44 years ago.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

And vacancies were enormous, we built very few office buildings for many years, many buildings were allowed to deteriorate and were torn down after the war or didn't return to glory until 70 years later....what's your point?

You seem fixated on office vacancy rates, as if (1) much of the discussion is about actual people, which are down vastly more than leases, and (2) the real problems with leases will come as leased space starts to really reflect how many people are in the office now that WFH is increasingly baked in.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,481 times
Our WFH is now around 70% and we have tons of vacant office space and have not decided what to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning