Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Ten Largest Per Capita Sprawlers (1970 - 1990)

Urbanized Area:
1. Atlanta
2. Houston
3. New York City
4. Washington
5. Philadelphia
6. Los Angeles
7. Dallas
8. Tampa
9. Phoenix
10. Minneapolis
Yes...a believable list, but also a 20 year-old list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yes...a believable list, but also a 20 year-old list.
I'd venture to say it's not much different today.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
What is the criteria for the sprawl? Its weird to see places like Philly and NYC on the same list as a place like Phoenix. Philly and NYC have lots of row houses and brick buildings packed into a small area which kinda goes against the idea of sprawl. Phoenix has lots of single family homes and developments with lots of space which fits the sprawl characteristic pretty well.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
What is the criteria for the sprawl? Its weird to see places like Philly and NYC on the same list as a place like Phoenix. Philly and NYC have lots of row houses and brick buildings packed into a small area which kinda goes against the idea of sprawl. Phoenix has lots of single family homes and developments with lots of space which fits the sprawl characteristic pretty well.
Good question. I think the previous list just looks at size of metros, w/o looking at pop. density, or ratio of city dwellers to suburbanites, both criteria I feel important in talking about "sprwal".

Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good question. I think the previous list just looks at size of metros, w/o looking at pop. density, or ratio of city dwellers to suburbanites, both criteria I feel important in talking about "sprwal".
yea, you'd think population density would come into play here.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Here's "A Comprehensive Look at Sprawl in America", a USA Today article from 2001 that includes a complete rated list of cities and analysis of "sprawl" per several criteria. It should answer a lot of the questions posed here.

USATODAY.com - A comprehensive look at sprawl in America

What I found most interesting about the article is Portland's relatively low rating as opposed to its image. The cause is that regions beyond Portland's urban management have been developed, jumping their jurisdiction and spreading out. That's the fluidity of market forces at work that can't be easily contained.

Last edited by Bunjee; 03-11-2009 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
DC south to Fredersburg, west to leesburg, north to laurel, and west to bowie
Uh those boundaries are WAY, way way too small

Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I'd venture to say it's not much different today.
You would venture to be wrong...any city that doesn't exist in a vacuum learned about sprawl and it's negative effects and perceptions years ago. Every major city in the U.S. has taken steps to curb sprawl and build inward, not outward. The changes in the #1 city on that list have been tremendous.

So yes, the list is outdated and not valid in any current discussion.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 31,562 times
Quote:
I did a few calculations one time. Atlanta and DC have large numbers of people living in their metros as compared to the # living in the city. So, actually, does Pittsburgh.
WOW! I bet your calculations were really scientific and followed some great criteria.

Why don't you guys use sierra clubs website. They are one of the best at rating sprawl around metro areas.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Here's "A Comprehensive Look at Sprawl in America", a USA Today article from 2001 that includes a complete rated list of cities and analysis of "sprawl" per several criteria. It should answer a lot of the questions posed here.

USATODAY.com - A comprehensive look at sprawl in America

What I found most interesting about the article is Portland's relatively low rating as opposed to its image. The cause is that regions beyond Portland's urban management have been developed, jumping their jurisdiction and spreading out. That's the fluidity of market forces at work that can't be easily contained.
Okay...an article that's 8 years old is a little better than one 20 years old, but I hope we all realize how much can change in 8 years. A more current reference would be more relevant to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning