Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 PM

52 posts, read 104,669 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Portland/Vancouver area this summer from Wisconsin. We have visited the area three times now, but are still unsure where to call home. We have a son who is in middle school and is excellent in math. We want to make sure he gets a quality education. The last time we were in town we visited Shahala Midddle School and Alki. Both seemed nice. We would appreciate any information you can provide regarding these schools or any other. We really enjoy the Wholefoods that is in Fishers Landing, and the area seems clean and well kept. It felt safe, but again, it's hard to tell with just a quick visit. The only two apartments to rent while before we can buy are The Cove and Heritage Green. Any thoughts on either of them? I understand this is a WA forum, but do you have an opinion on Sherwood, OR? My husband's potential job will be in the Tigard area. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
If your husband's job is in Oregon, you'd be better off living in Oregon. There are only two bridges across the Columbia River, so the traffic is bad enough just getting across; then add the fact that he has to drive all the way thru Portland to get to Tigard. Plus he'll be paying Oregon income tax, and you'll pay Washington sales taxes when you shop in Vancouver. It's the worst of both worlds.

There are good communities near Tigard, and Sherwood is certainly one of them. It's a small town on the edge of the Portland metro area; there's an older town center with a lot of new development around it. I don't know about the schools there. I have heard that the Beaverton and Lake Oswego school districts are highly regarded. Take a look at those areas and see if you can save some money as well as wear and tear on your husband and his car.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I second the idea of living in OR if working in OR, especially in light of a 2 hr commute / day.

Since you claim to have a son that is talented in math, I would be prepared to pay for private school on either side of the river (preferably VERY near your home). 15 min to work and / or school is plenty... Walkable is better. If your kids plan to swim competitively, your odds of finding a pool and team are better in OR. I would look for a job in WA by the time the kids are in 10th grade, so as to use WA Running Start program (free college instead of High School). OR has terrible funding for schools, but there are some decent ones in affluent areas. 90% of my co-workers and friends have used private school or home school on either side of the river (100% on OR side, I actually know NO ONE who's kids graduated from Portland public schools, tho I'm sure some do)

Old 05-01-2011, 02:45 PM

52 posts, read 104,669 times
Thank you for the info. I haven't thought of private schools. It's hard to imagine an hour commute to work every day. Thanks for the insight.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Living in Washington and working in Oregon is just asking for trouble. You'll still have to pay a percentage of your income in Oregon Taxes. Add in the at LEAST one hour commute each way and it doesn't make sense to me to even think of doing so.

Plus if you're on the Portland side, you can avoid Whole Foods and their anti-competive tactics, and hit up New Seasons, Food Front, etc.

The bad news is that Tigard and surrounding area is mostly newer Cookie-Cutter Suburban Construction. Sherwood would be doable, but if there is any wrecks (or the occasional flooding) on Hwy99, pretty much plan on not going to work that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: