Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 01:11 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,627,913 times

Advertisements

Anybody do this commute on a daily basis? We're considering moving to the Fishers Landing area, and I work in downtown Portland (and on the south side near PSU, no less!). I've tested the commute a few times (driving, C-TRAN Express, #12 bus from Parkrose Park & Ride, and MAX from Parkrose), and my experience was that it pretty much took 45 minutes, plus or minus 10 minutes, regardless of the mode of transportation.

Is that pretty much accurate? Any experienced commuters out there with some words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 02:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
I have a friend that does that daily route via express bus, and your 45 min is correct. The savings in parking + utilizing the commute for reading / paperwork + and an employer sponsored bus pass help ease the pain.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,627,913 times
Thanks janb! It's helpful to get that confirmed. My employer does offer a pre-tax monthly bus pass withholding. I think the C-TRAN pass is about $110, and parking would be $150-$200 per month plus gas for the 30+ mile round trip, so there's some good savings. Also I don't think driving is any faster since the express makes no stops between the F.L. Transit Center and downtown.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 12,303 times
Lots of people do it using the Fishers Landing bus. it's much safer and less expensive, and you can sleep, read, organize your life, use the Internet while someone else drives. Enjoy the quiet time!

I've used the Bus for over 16 years now and it's a good way to go.

Some people might choose to drive to gateway for Shopping and leave their car at the MAX Park and Ride, to reduce the time - especially since the Freeway is locked up on the return trip. Maybe do a weekly Happy Hour snack (or errands) near your work, then jump on a bus or Max back to Gateway, in hopes of missing traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area