Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2006, 02:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,425 times

Advertisements

Have been offered a job in Washougal and desperately need info!
Cost of living
What part of salary will be taxed (%)?
What would utilities for 2 adults in a 2 bed house cost?
How much would groceries for the month cost?
What other expenses should be considered?
Thanks
Linz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 04:59 PM

454 posts, read 910,327 times
All except your exemptions will be taxed by the federal government at a rate that is determined by how much money you make after deductions.

Washington state does not have an income tax. You will be charged a sales tax that will add about 8.8% to the cost of whatever you buy except groceries.

The rest will depend a lot on your personality and purchasing choices, so hard to give you a solid figure.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 AM

Thanks Dufferz
Just another question ... is there any reliable public transport in Washougal?

Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 AM

753 posts, read 761,682 times
Hi,

That's right, it's hard to give an exact figure but I always use 28% as a rule of thumb. I almost never pay more than that in tax (includes Federal Income tax, Social Security, Medicare). And right again, there is no state tax in Washington.

One other tax to account for is property tax, which you are liable for if you buy a home. Looks like the rate in Washougal is $14.22 per $1000 (so $1422 per year for a house of $100K). Note you're not liable for property tax if you rent.

To get an idea of the cost of homes, I'd head over to www.realtor.com (broken link).

I don't think you'll find much in the way of public transport in Washougal. But I'd have a look at the City of Portland's public transportation, maybe they have buses the reach out that far.

The Gorge is a beautiful area. If you're a windsurfer you'll have found your promised land.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:34 AM

Linz,

In Washington we are very private-auto centric. Rural country areas are rarely far away so having a car is usually a necessity for most areas.

Expect to buy a car ($2000 - $20,000 is a good range for basic used to very nice used car). You will need to take a driving test of course. Shopping is done at a store or mall that may be several miles away. Many people will drive to a "park and ride" and take public transportation from there. It all depends of where you work and where your shopping is compared to bus routes. If your going into portland you will find pretty good public transportation.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info.
It looks like we'll be coming over in Janaury for a "look-see" before we make a final decision.
I must check if my South African driver's license can be converted ...

Old 11-06-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post
Thanks for the info.
It looks like we'll be coming over in Janaury for a "look-see" before we make a final decision.
I must check if my South African driver's license can be converted ...
You will probably have to at least take the written test in order to get you license, but I am not sure.

Glad you are going to visit before you commit. I think you will be in for a surprise (good or bad) depending on the weather you are used to. Today we are expected to get several inches of rain with flooding.

Keep and eye on seattletimes.com for washington news and oregonlive.com for oregon information.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:27 PM

550 posts, read 3,271,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post

Keep and eye on seattletimes.com for washington news and oregonlive.com for oregon information.
Oh! Good idea! I had totally forgotton to include some local news for the gorge. You can check out www.camaspostrecord.com and www.columbian.com. Both are the websites for print newspapers that cover Camas/Washougal and have some good info on the area.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area