Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 AM

3,975 posts, read 5,173,344 times

Advertisements

So what are everyones thoughts on this? Do we really need one or should Oregon fix the problems on their side first? If it is built, should it be a toll bridge? If so, how much would you be willing to pay? Should we leave the existing one as is and build another somewhere up or down river like between Camas and Troutdale? Light Rail? What design would you like to see? A tunnel perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:29 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,967,795 times
The planned fix (construction due to start this year) of the constriction at Delta Park will make a huge difference southbound. Without a complete revamp through Portland a bridge change will make little improvement after that. Improvement to the access roads in Oregon (Jantzen Beach and 99) would also aid flow.

I really think another bridge to the east makes more sense. You know any new bridges will need tolls for financing. The track record across the country for light rail is not all that great as 99% of lines are not financially self sustaining and congestion is not reduced substantially.

The I5 bridge project is much more political than practical. Why would you spend billions for one additional bridge lane with no room for added lanes on both sides?

Old 02-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The I5 bridge project is much more political than practical. Why would you spend billions for one additional bridge lane with no room for added lanes on both sides?
you hit the nail... definitely political, and they don't want to add lanes, as they want folks to embrace "light-rail"... Clark County WILL have MAX...

Having lived in several foreign and domestic cities, the Portland version of light rail is not too effective for quickly and safely moving passengers. (Except of the I -84 and I-205 stretches). Needs to be quick and not interfacing with street traffic and pedestrians. (i.e.... not running over firetrucks and wheel chairs...)

They should have done a 10 min from Delta Park version rather than 30 min, and they could have added a 20 min to Battleground, then they would have something to brag about, or at least be useable.

The politicians will win this one (they always do) even if it takes delaying traffic for 10 more years, and on into the future.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 AM

3,975 posts, read 5,173,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The I5 bridge project is much more political than practical.
This is what I was thinking to. It's as if Vancouver's mayor wants some sort of legacy. His downtown revitalization wasn't as grand as he though it would be, the walking path over Highway 14 is a joke, and his plans for the new development west of The Quay is looking like it won't be so great either.

Too bad he has to spend billions in taxpayer money to accomplish it.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,553,445 times
To be sure, something is needed with regard to I-5. I favor an entire new structure(s). They need dedicated lanes for buses & thru traffic, smoother access to SR14, light rail and some sort of dedicated bike path. But there are problems.

First, the current talk is that this will be a toll bridge. That won't fly- period. And if they do, I don't want to even imagine how stacked up I-205 will get.

Second, light rail. For it to be effective, it will either have to spread around Vancouver (not a bad idea- it should only take 30 years) or upgrade the bus system. Also, for those of you who do not know, Oregonians are taxed well for light rail. And not just Portland, but the entire state (ALL of it) pays separate taxes for it even though it only benefits the Portland area. Look, I support light rail, but why people in Spokane should have to pay for it strikes me as odd.

Third, one of the main problems southbound is not necessarily the bridge, but where the interstate drops from 3 lanes to two. That has to be taken care of. In fact, 4 lanes are clearly needed at a minimum.

It's a huge mess. I hope the local politicians see their way clear on this one.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 AM

177 posts, read 970,136 times
Did these politicians stop to think that if they put in a toll bridge, everyone will opt (if it's not too out of the way) to use the old toll free bridge rather than the toll bridge? Sounds like they would have to build it further east, but not too far because then the I-205 bridge would be close and it's toll free too! I just hope they plan for the future, sounds like the bridge is at least 10yrs out, they better plan for increased population, or by the time it's built it will be at capacity too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area