Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 04:07 PM

472 posts, read 526,687 times

Advertisements

I don't think its a collapse rather than over demand for labor and resources. We built a custome home in 1998 and it was not fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 08:36 AM

Default Vancouver postpones agreement on new waterfront development

A new development on that side of the bridge just doesn't make sense as it would be the most logical direction to take the replacement bridge.

A project that aims to rebrand and redevelop the southern gateway to Vancouver was delayed by city councilors Monday, who say the initial development agreement doesn’t set ambitious enough climate standards.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:46 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesurfer View Post
The high timber prices pertain specifically to dimensional lumber, and depending on the type of residential house you're building, this can be an increase of $10-35k in the overall price. That may or may not be a sum of indifference for some.

Why are subs and skilled labor so hard to find right now? What else is seemingly collapsing the build market? I have a couple friends who are in the middle of house builds in Camas and Washougal and have been undeterred.
It isn't just dimensional lumber. I saw fir plywood selling for over $80 a sheet at Home Depot the other day.

As for why subs and skilled labor is hard to find? It is because when an industry shuts down like construction did after the great recession in 2008 and the pandemic in 2020 people who work in that industry move on with their lives and find other things to do. Then a year or two later when contractors want to suddenly start back up again they don't have their old crews ready and waiting to go. They have to seek out, train, and bring on board a whole new crop of workers. Recent immigration policy during the Trump Administration has also probably affected the supply of construction labor.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:41 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/...ont-vancouver/

What do you all think on the Springs development at the waterfront? Personally, I'm not a fan of this project on this piece of valuable real estate. Economically, it doesn't make much sense either. I'd imagine the city could get more long term value with commercial office space or condominium in this lot. Premiere office space would also generate 5-10 times more jobs.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:09 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/...ont-vancouver/

What do you all think on the Springs development at the waterfront? Personally, I'm not a fan of this project on this piece of valuable real estate. Economically, it doesn't make much sense either. I'd imagine the city could get more long term value with commercial office space or condominium in this lot. Premiere office space would also generate 5-10 times more jobs.
It looks fine to me. Certainly better than low-rise stuff. There is a LOT of undeveloped land down there and they won't be running out of it any time soon. And there is a lot of room for more commercial development in the downtown part of Vancouver too. If there is a demand for more commercial office space they have plenty of room for it.

As for it not making economic sense? I have no idea about that but I expect whatever investors are behind this project know what they are doing. There are a LOT of affluent seniors in the greater Portland area. They won't just be marketing to local Vancouver folks. I expect it will fill up fast.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It looks fine to me. Certainly better than low-rise stuff. There is a LOT of undeveloped land down there and they won't be running out of it any time soon. And there is a lot of room for more commercial development in the downtown part of Vancouver too. If there is a demand for more commercial office space they have plenty of room for it.

As for it not making economic sense? I have no idea about that but I expect whatever investors are behind this project know what they are doing. There are a LOT of affluent seniors in the greater Portland area. They won't just be marketing to local Vancouver folks. I expect it will fill up fast.
True, I am happy to see something 10+ floors being built.

Personally, I want to see the city come up with a master plan for the area west of Esther street to the port. That area is zoned for high rises and I would like to see them utilize that for density.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:19 AM

I agree with td, we have a lot of space to fill and why not use it for the affluent seniors looking to bring their assets to a more tax friendly state. Block 18 does not look to be prime real-estate on the waterfront rather in the leisurely residential area.

As for updates, construction is going full steam, seems like new buildings are popping up daily in downtown and the Waterfront.

Attached Thumbnails
The Waterfront, Downtown, Midtown, Uptown thread-block18.jpg  

Old 07-13-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
I agree with td, we have a lot of space to fill and why not use it for the affluent seniors looking to bring their assets to a more tax friendly state. Block 18 does not look to be prime real-estate on the waterfront rather in the leisurely residential area.

As for updates, construction is going full steam, seems like new buildings are popping up daily in downtown and the Waterfront.
I’m curious your thoughts on potential development west of Columbia Street? Outside of the county buildings and law offices that area is pretty underdeveloped. What would you like see there?

Old 07-13-2021, 05:24 PM

I think your talking about his area? Its pretty occupied not too many empty buildings. We looked at a few commercial buildings in this area over the years and they were all pretty expensive on the $/sqft. I think the active railyard would be a limiting factor on anything other than industrial use. The share house has also been an issue in the past but seems to be under control as of late.

The new developments have been closer to I5, Main Street and the waterfront.

Attached Thumbnails
The Waterfront, Downtown, Midtown, Uptown thread-west-columbia.jpg  

Old 08-13-2021, 07:44 PM

Default A few pictures of the waterfront

I snapped a few pictures of the waterfront this weekend. In addition to the waterfront downtown has much construction its almost comical to drive.

Every street seems to have a construction crew but its all good!

Attached Thumbnails
The Waterfront, Downtown, Midtown, Uptown thread-20210808_130624.jpg   The Waterfront, Downtown, Midtown, Uptown thread-20210808_130529.jpg   The Waterfront, Downtown, Midtown, Uptown thread-20210808_130653.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area