Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:53 AM

54 posts, read 70,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwygirl View Post
but it really does not encourage those with limited means who want to vacation.
Once you see the price of food/services in Vancouver you'll see the city is also not particularly interested in hosting those with "limited means" either.

The running joke around here for the acronym of British Columbia is that BC stands for "bring cash". And lots of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 6,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's to deter homeless as well as people who are attempting to immigrate illegally.
I'm not trying to immigrate, illegally or otherwise. This is a vacation.

Quote:
I don't know about other countries' policies but I can tell you that both USA and Canada try to discourage visitors with limited means or who might be entering the country in the hopes of finding work illegally and may have no intention of returning back home to their own country. Neither country wants to encourage visitors with little funds who might pose a risk of becoming a financial burden to the host country while they're visiting or who might actually be trying to immigrate illegally by using the pretext of vacationing.
Well, I'll say it again...I'm not trying to immigrate. And let me just say that it's almost a bit presumptuous.

Quote:
You haven't said whether or not this would be your first visit to Canada. If you've never visited Canada before you will need to be prepared for the reception you'll get from both the Canadian and American border authorities. They'll want to know exactly how much money you're bringing into the country and if they feel you don't have enough money to properly support yourself for 4 - 6 weeks vacation they may deny you entry into the country.
No, I have never been to Canada, though my Great Grandfather immigrated to America from Montreal.

Quote:
If you're coming in an RV your RV and possessions inside it will be searched for contraband, drugs and firearms, they may also want to do a recent history search on your cell phone or computer. Since your visit in Vancouver will be for 4 - 6 weeks, well for that unusual length of time it will automatically be assumed that you will be an attempting illegal immigrant looking for work illegally in Vancouver, so you'll need to be prepared to offer verifiable proof of your own permanent residence and your employer and place of employment in the USA. The authorities will want verification of where you'll be going in Canada, they may also ask for proof of reservations at accomodations or the names and contact telephone numbers of people that you'll be visiting so they can contact them to confirm that you are expected.
Will there be a body cavity search? Do they want a DNA sample? For heaven's sake! If it makes them feel better to search everything then fine. I have absolutely nothing to hide. Question: Are tasers illegal in Canada? What about mace?

Quote:
Your dog will have to be up to date on all of her innoculations (especially rabies shots) for travelling and you'll need collar tags, documentation and medical records from your vetrinarian that confirms it. Otherwise the dog won't be allowed into the country if you aren't prepared for all that. You will need those same records and tags at hand to get your dog back into America on your return trip too. Your RV will be searched again by American border authorities on your return trip and you will need your passport to cross the border both times. The American border authorities are more antsy and paranoid than the Canadian authorities about having a passport and other credible documentation
My dog is current on her veterinarian care, and I have the paperwork that confirms it. They want medical records, too?

I do have a passport card (cost me $150).

Old 08-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Both countries are strict to deter homeless people or people that could be homeless.

People on vacation for a month or more need visa a temporary pass that lets you enter and remain there for a specific period of time.

You have to prove you have money and have a job.

If you going to school in US or in Canada on school program to study normally a year there in that country you have to prove you in school and have the money to support your self.

If you want to work in country you need green card a permit that does not only allow you to enter but also lets you stay there and work for set time.

Again you have to prove you have money and have a job.

People who have money, good job and education are more likely to get visa or green card.

Some one working at Walmart and living paycheck to paycheck and no money in bank will not get visa or green card. Some one working at Burger King with only $500 or $1000 in the bank may only get visa for month or two and no more.

Some one like school Teacher, Doctor, Nurse, Police officer, Firefighter, EMT, some one who got a master or PhD and $5000,000 or 1,0000,000 in the bank be lot more easier getting a visa or green card. This also applies to people who also want to get immigration status.

Some one that is school drop out and no high school and little to no money is not going to be allowed to get visa or green card. This also applies to people who also want to get immigration status.

People vacation for days or a week or two week not a month. If you want to be there for month or say two months or more you need a visa. If you have little to no money, little to no education, not so good job you are going to have very hard time to get visa. Same thing for people who want to get immigration status.

This is too weed out homeless people or people who could be homeless in the US or Canada.
Actually, the law for Canada is that any American can stay for up to 6 months without a visa or a green card. I did do my research. And I won't be "working" in Vancouver; that is the whole point of taking a vacation. I just want to see the sights, meet people, relax, take some pictures, maybe catch a little theater...

Everyone is making it sound like I'm trying to immigrate into Canada. It's a beautiful country, but I definitely would not want to live there (no offense). I wanted to visit Vancouver, specifically, because all of my favorite television shows are filmed there.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzazz33 View Post
Once you see the price of food/services in Vancouver you'll see the city is also not particularly interested in hosting those with "limited means" either.

The running joke around here for the acronym of British Columbia is that BC stands for "bring cash". And lots of it.
"Bring Cash".... hehe

I live in New Hampshire, where the prices are not so cheap. When I went to Los Angeles, the prices there were actually cheaper.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,144,471 times
Quote:

Well, I'll say it again...I'm not trying to immigrate. And let me just say that it's almost a bit presumptuous.

No, I have never been to Canada, though my Great Grandfather immigrated to America from Montreal.

Will there be a body cavity search? Do they want a DNA sample? For heaven's sake! If it makes them feel better to search everything then fine. I have absolutely nothing to hide. Question: Are tasers illegal in Canada? What about mace?

My dog is current on her veterinarian care, and I have the paperwork that confirms it. They want medical records, too?

Presumptuous? Well my dear, you DID ask what to expect from the authorities and now you have been told. You don't need to tell me that you aren't trying to immigrate illegally since I'm not important to your plans and have no say in the matter of your intentions (and I don't care), it's the border authorities that matter. I think that being presumptuous (and paranoid) is part of their job description in these days of unrest - to be presumptuous and suspicious of all travellers wanting to cross the border into either country, and it is the responsibility of each traveller to prove that there's nothing to be suspicious about. If you have nothing to hide and everything is in order they'll be pleased at your foresight and organization in planning ahead, and friendly with you and bid you welcome and to enjoy your vacation.

Tasers and mace? - Those will be confiscated if you try to bring them across the border. Many weapons are legal for Canadian citizens to own in Canada but it's illegal to carry any of them, particularly if the intention is to use them in self defense against humans. Bear spray designed for use against bears can be owned and carried for protection against wild animals when one is out in the wilderness, but it cannot be carried on the person in human inhabited areas.

Here is a list of illegal weapons in Canada (the types of firearms that are prohibited are not included in this list since I'm sure you already know you wouldn't be allowed to transport any kinds of firearms into Canada while visiting).
  • automatic knives such as switchblades;
  • centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
  • gravity knives;
  • mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
  • nunchaku sticks;
  • shuriken (throwing stars);
  • manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
  • finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
  • Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
  • crossbows designed for one-handed use;
  • crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
  • Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
  • push daggers;
  • devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
  • spiked wristbands;
  • blowguns;
  • Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
  • spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
  • morning stars; and
  • brass knuckles.
Regarding medical records for your dog, the Canadian border authorities aren't too fussy about long term medical records as proof of ownership, they're mostly concerned about proof that the dog's innoculations and tags are up to date. However, often depending on the breed of dog, the American border authorities on your return trip back to America will sometimes ask to see medical care history as part of your proof of long term ownership and to show that the dog actually arrived with you going into Canada and is returning with you on the same trip going back into America. Maybe you could ask your vetrinarian for a note of proof of ownership to present to authorities. It's better than risking the dog being denied entry or being put in quarantine.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-15-2016 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 04:27 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,011,227 times
Quote:

Quote:
Actually, the law for Canada is that any American can stay for up to 6 months without a visa or a green card. I did do my research. And I won't be "working" in Vancouver; that is the whole point of taking a vacation. I just want to see the sights, meet people, relax, take some pictures, maybe catch a little theater...

Everyone is making it sound like I'm trying to immigrate into Canada. It's a beautiful country, but I definitely would not want to live there (no offense). I wanted to visit Vancouver, specifically, because all of my favorite television shows are filmed there.
We live in different times now.

People who have lot of money, good job or middle class retires normally get easier pass at the border on both sides.

I known some retires people from Canada who live in Canada and doing winter go to their summer home in Florida and Arizona.

They are okay with this because they own two homes and have money getting retirement money. I have known people in Canada who lived ad worked in Canada than later retired in the US.

I have known people going up camping in woods in Canada.

It is the poor, low income, drop outs , not so good jobs, people renting not owning home and such where you have more trouble at the border. Of fear you are going to go in that country and may be homeless or could be homeless or looking for work.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:40 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,011,227 times
Quote:
Presumptuous? Well my dear, you DID ask what to expect from the authorities and now you have been told. You don't need to tell me that you aren't trying to immigrate illegally since I'm not important to your plans and have no say in the matter of your intentions (and I don't care), it's the border authorities that matter. I think that being presumptuous (and paranoid) is part of their job description in these days of unrest - to be presumptuous and suspicious of all travellers wanting to cross the border into either country, and it is the responsibility of each traveller to prove that there's nothing to be suspicious about. If you have nothing to hide and everything is in order they'll be pleased at your foresight and organization in planning ahead, and friendly with you and bid you welcome and to enjoy your vacation.

Tasers and mace? - Those will be confiscated if you try to bring them across the border. Many weapons are legal for Canadian citizens to own in Canada but it's illegal to carry any of them, particularly if the intention is to use them in self defense against humans. Bear spray designed for use against bears can be owned and carried for protection against wild animals when one is out in the wilderness, but it cannot be carried on the person in human inhabited areas.

Here is a list of illegal weapons in Canada (the types of firearms that are prohibited are not included in this list since I'm sure you already know you wouldn't be allowed to transport any kinds of firearms into Canada while visiting).
  • gravity knives;
  • nunchaku sticks;
  • push daggers;
  • spiked wristbands;
  • blowguns;
  • morning stars; and
  • brass knuckles.
Regarding medical records for your dog, the Canadian border authorities aren't too fussy about long term medical records as proof of ownership, they're mostly concerned about proof that the dog's innoculations and tags are up to date. However, often depending on the breed of dog, the American border authorities on your return trip back to America will sometimes ask to see medical care history as part of your proof of long term ownership and to show that the dog actually arrived with you going into Canada and is returning with you on the same trip going back into America. Maybe you could ask your vetrinarian for a note of proof of ownership to present to authorities. It's better than risking the dog being denied entry or being put in quarantine.

I'm sure people in Canada are allowed to have weapon for self defense if some one breaks into your home, motel, hotel or RV.

Just from what I understand you cannot carry it in public. If you own home in Canada you can have gun for self defense.

It just you don't have open carrying laws there or allowed to have weapon for self defense in public.

Unless you a security guard, private detective, bodyguard or diplomatic you may be able to get special permit to carry a gun but the OP will be none of these people.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:

• gravity knives;
  • nunchaku sticks;
  • push daggers;
  • spiked wristbands;
  • blowguns;
  • morning stars; and
  • brass knuckles.

Oh, I didn't mean that you were being presumptuous. I meant that the border authorities would be presumptuous to assume I wish to immigrate. I'm really sorry that it came off that way. I'm very grateful for all your advice and bear no ill will towards anyone on this forum for the information being given.

Yes, it is their job to check things, but to deny me entry into Canada for nothing more than suspicion is a little overboard. I have a steady monthly income, car and health insurance, and if it will help, I could bring a copy of my rental lease, which is for a 1-year term.

I forgot to ask about this. I am on prescription medications. One of them, by a technicality, is a controlled substance. Will they give me any trouble over that? I have my psychiatrist's name and information, etc...

My dog is microchipped with my name and address. I also still have her adoption papers and 7 years of veterinarian bills to prove ownership.

I have a small hand-held taser (not ranged) and a small can of pepper spray for self-defense. From the horrors I am hearing about, I really hope they let me keep them.

And Bubble99, thank you for the warning.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,144,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I'm sure people in Canada are allowed to have weapon for self defense if some one breaks into your home, motel, hotel or RV.

Just from what I understand you cannot carry it in public. If you own home in Canada you can have gun for self defense.

It just you don't have open carrying laws there or allowed to have weapon for self defense in public.

Unless you a security guard, private detective, bodyguard or diplomatic you may be able to get special permit to carry a gun but the OP will be none of these people.
No. Canadians can not keep firearms in their homes, motels, hotels or RVs for the purpose of self defense, nor can they carry them in their vehicles without a special transportation permit to go from Point A to Point B within a specified limited period of time. An example would be when taking hunting rifles on a hunting trip or when transporting a newly purchased firearm from the place of purchase directly to the owner's home. Firearms in the home must be kept secured in a gun safe separate from ammunition, preferably with a trigger lock on the stored firearm. Canadians cannot purchase or own a handgun if their intended purpose listed on their application says it's for self defense. They will automatically be denied. Most people who make application to purchase a handgun get turned down anyway, even if the reason listed is strictly for target practise.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:42 PM

7,323 posts, read 9,372,439 times
I've travelled across Canada and the U.S. with 3 dogs and never had any trouble finding a hotel or motel that would allow them, from Motel 6 to higher end hotels. Just a FYI. Although I don't believe there are any who allow you to leave dogs alone in the room. I don't like to leave my dogs at home either. Some hotels charge a small fee for dogs but most I have stayed at didn't and I never had a problem but my dogs are very well behaved. Less trouble than most children, I would suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver