Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 PM

7,319 posts, read 9,397,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwygirl View Post
Oh, I didn't mean that you were being presumptuous. I meant that the border authorities would be presumptuous to assume I wish to immigrate. I'm really sorry that it came off that way. I'm very grateful for all your advice and bear no ill will towards anyone on this forum for the information being given.

Yes, it is their job to check things, but to deny me entry into Canada for nothing more than suspicion is a little overboard. I have a steady monthly income, car and health insurance, and if it will help, I could bring a copy of my rental lease, which is for a 1-year term.

I forgot to ask about this. I am on prescription medications. One of them, by a technicality, is a controlled substance. Will they give me any trouble over that? I have my psychiatrist's name and information, etc...

My dog is microchipped with my name and address. I also still have her adoption papers and 7 years of veterinarian bills to prove ownership.

I have a small hand-held taser (not ranged) and a small can of pepper spray for self-defense. From the horrors I am hearing about, I really hope they let me keep them.

And Bubble99, thank you for the warning.
I wouldn't even try to bring in a taser as they are illegal here. I'm not sure about the pepper spray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:09 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,019,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No. Canadians can not keep firearms in their homes, motels, hotels or RVs for the purpose of self defense, nor can they carry them in their vehicles without a special transportation permit to go from Point A to Point B within a specified limited period of time. An example would be when taking hunting rifles on a hunting trip or when transporting a newly purchased firearm from the place of purchase directly to the owner's home. Firearms in the home must be kept secured in a gun safe separate from ammunition, preferably with a trigger lock on the stored firearm. Canadians cannot purchase or own a handgun if their intended purpose listed on their application says it's for self defense. They will automatically be denied. Most people who make application to purchase a handgun get turned down anyway, even if the reason listed is strictly for target practise.
That is really interesting I did not think Canada was that liberal.

Even in England and Wales seem to have more Self defense than Canada not like US but more than Canada.

Q and A: Self defence and burglars. What force does the law allow?
Q and A: Self defence and burglars - BBC News

Old 08-15-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
That is really interesting I did not think Canada was that liberal.

Even in England and Wales seem to have more Self defense than Canada not like US but more than Canada.

Q and A: Self defence and burglars. What force does the law allow?
Q and A: Self defence and burglars - BBC News
https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cana...nce_of_Another

You can use "reasonable" force. If a burglar is retreating, you can't shoot him or hit him. If he is coming after you you can do whatever is necessary BUT NO MORE to stop him. If knocking him out with a frying pan stops him, then that's what you can do. But you can't do more than is necessary.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:15 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,585,217 times
To answer your question about mace, no it isn't allowed but Bear Spray IS and is just as powerful a deterrent to thugs if not more. Just make sure that it is labelled clearly that it is Bear Spray on the can. It will cost you about $30-$40 at a hunting store. At the border, they might or might not ask you for your dog's health certificate and to make sure he has a Rabies vaccination up to date.

We just got back from a trip to Vancouver and stayed in a lovely campground up in northeast Vancouver. Very safe and very well run. Hopefully they can give you a long term discount because campgrounds aren't cheap to stay in.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 PM

10 posts, read 6,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've travelled across Canada and the U.S. with 3 dogs and never had any trouble finding a hotel or motel that would allow them, from Motel 6 to higher end hotels. Just a FYI. Although I don't believe there are any who allow you to leave dogs alone in the room. I don't like to leave my dogs at home either. Some hotels charge a small fee for dogs but most I have stayed at didn't and I never had a problem but my dogs are very well behaved. Less trouble than most children, I would suspect.
Did you happen to have an eight-year-old, 60-pound pitbull? Because that is what I have.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Did you happen to have an eight-year-old, 60-pound pitbull? Because that is what I have.
Hmm. Might be a problem j/b of the stigma with the breed. I had two German Shepherds. One 100 pounds and the other 80. And a beagle.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Hmm. Might be a problem j/b of the stigma with the breed. I had two German Shepherds. One 100 pounds and the other 80. And a beagle.
Correct. Some places allow dogs but not a pitbull. It's frustrating.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM

14,734 posts, read 15,196,601 times
You asked about your prescription which is a controlled substance but didn't say what substance it was. I guess it would depend on what it is but if it's prescribed specifically to you and is in a prescription bottle labelled in your name and with the prescribing doctor's name and ph.# on there the border security will probably let it through.

Regarding your pepper spray, I don't know if border authorities will have an issue about that or not, depending of what the contents are made from. If they do confiscate yours then you should get a new canister at a sporting goods shop in Canada, because you WILL need to have some handy. Don't get the regular strength pepper spray like for using against attacking dogs and human assailants, you will need to get full strength bear spray that is intended for bears.

At this time of year and on into mid December close encounters with bears become an almost daily occurence throughout the Vancouver metro areas. If you're going to be spending any time camping or walking with your dog through metro greenbelt areas or city parks, or in provincial parks, it's advisable to have the bear spray with you. Bears and sometimes cougars are very common visitors to city parks and residential neighbourhoods near greenbelts - they come into town looking for garbage and people's pets - and of course at this time of year into late autumn they become much more bold in their search for food.

Just so you know I'm not exaggerating, I'll give you an example: Two days ago in a city park in Coquitlam a mother bear attempted to snatch a 10 year old girl away from her parents. It actually dragged the child partly into the bushes and ended up in a tug of war over her with the parents. The parents and other rescuers got the child away from the bear and the mother bear followed them. The bear was found and dispatched that same day and its cubs were taken away to rehab. The child was rather badly hurt but will recover.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/10-year-old-gir...tack-1.3028055

Cougars and coyotes frequently try to snatch and drag unleashed dogs away from their owners too (and sometimes very small leashed dogs) so it's helpful to keep the dog on a very sturdy, slip-proof, short leash when you go walking near bushes with it.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-16-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I will think about it.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:47 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,019,515 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I will think about it.
Just makes sure if you buy gun in Canada or own gun in Canada you have paper work and permit. You cannot buy a gun in Canada with out a paper work and permit or own a gun. Before you get paper work and permit you must take a gun safety course and have police background check done on you.

I don't think US gun safety course and US police background check would work in Canada. You need the police in Canada to run a background check on you and gun safety course run in Canada.

Last edited by Bubble99; 08-28-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver