Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:24 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Tell me what are my "opinions" and what are the "facts"...I'm curious....
The most of your post is just your personal opinion.

In addition, you tend to give Seattle credit for everything while denying Vancouver credit even in situations where a credit is due. Which just shows how biased you are and makes your posts lose the credibility. Even where Vancouver has obvious advantages before Seattle, you diminish those advantages to the point where it seems as if it's almost a tie. Nice sell!

I especially love how you're starting your post: "Separating Facts from fictions or personal preferences..."

Bravo! Way to go!

I first ignored your recent post you posted in another thread, but it seems that now you'll copy and paste it in all threads that have anyhing to do with Vancouver and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
The most of your post is just your personal opinion.

In addition, you tend to give Seattle credit for everything while denying Vancouver credit even in situations where a credit is due. Which just shows how biased you are and makes your posts lose the credibility. Even where Vancouver has obvious advantages before Seattle, you diminish those advantages to the point where it seems as if it's almost a tie. Nice sell!

I especially love how you're starting your post: "Separating Facts from fictions or personal preferences..."

Bravo! Way to go!

I gave credit to Van where credit is due....prettier downtown, overall better public transportation for far out areas, better Asian food and the ski slopes are half hour closer......maybe you need to read my post again avoiding passion to cloud your reading comprehension

Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I gave credit to Van where credit is due....prettier downtown, overall better public transportation for far out areas, better Asian food and the ski slopes are half hour closer......maybe you need to read my post again avoiding passion to cloud your reading comprehension
Well, we're both biased, that's for sure. At least, I don't sell my opinions as "facts".

In the end, I think, people who travel and spend some time in both places, surely will be able to figure things out for themselves. No need for us to tell them.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM

movingwiththewinnd, an interesting reading for you from a born and raised Vancouver expatriate to Melbourne....

The Vancouver Myth Debunked

__________________________________________________ ____________
Premier Bligh's "showcase" for "green development" in Vancouver

I went to the "De-growth" Conference in Vancouver in early May. I met with Conrad Schmidt of the "Work Less Party", and others, who had a ring side seat to the farce which was the Olympics. I was intent upon writing a summary of the conference, but as usual, was sidetracked by other issues. That Vancouver is held up as a shining beacon of sensible planning is an outrage equivalent to the International Red Cross giving a Nazi concentration camp a five star hotel rating. I was born there and left six years ago, and made my second trip back in 3 years to attend the conference. My impression of the place was only re-inforced. As I commented, it is a city built on an imported slave labour caste where the slaves, too exhausted by long hours and subsistence pay, are on the one hand, celebrated by the chic left and business class alike as agents of diversity, and on the other hand, blamed for not assimilating into our society by the resentful residents who feel their competition. The truth is, the working immigrant poor, have neither the time nor the energy to do so, and it is there children who must interpret mainstream culture for them. Same old con job. My great grandparents were caught in the same vice at the turn of the century. Today 38% of Vancouverites fail to earn the $18 per hour necessary to live a decent living. And 38% of city residents are foreign born. That correlation carries a message. Most newcomers are poor, and as elsewhere in Canada, take a decade to catch up with the hindmost Canadian working poor. They cannot earn the $25,000 per year necessary to pay enough taxes to reimburse governments for the services that are provided for them. In effect, "cultural diversity" is a corporate welfare scam where Canadians pay for the services of cheap labour and employers, landlords and realtors reap the reward. Nothing new about that script. Yet it is one that travel writers and eminent tourists from Brisbane never read.

Yes, Vancouver has invested billions in monorails. But owing to open-ended growth, that transportation network has not displaced car traffic but only supplemented it. Driving about the city is an even greater nightmare now than it was when I left. And in the shadow of this grand monuments there sleeps the homeless, who can be seen by day begging for money or dashing between cars to wipe windshields. Some find shelter by the entrances of million dollar condo highrises. Vancouver is a glowing testament to the truth that growth never closes the income gap, but widens it. It may reduce unemployment, but not the unemployment rate.It may increase the GDP, but not the per capita GNP. Growth may grow the but the forces that profit from it will will ensure that its benefits are not equitably shared by buying city elections and electing pro-development politicians to the provincial legislature. Even the social democratic NDP failed to arrest the widening disparity of wealth during its eight year reign. In fact, evidence suggests that it worsened. Yet leftist politicians still remain faithfull to the credo that to meet the need for affordable housing, education and health care, they must "grow" the revenues. That can only be done in two ways. One is the traditional way of "taxing the rich". But capital is a moving target, and won't live in a tax regime that is much higher than in other jurisdictions. The second way is to pursue economic growth, which the social democratic leadership has picked up as its banner too. The two party system is in reality, a one party growthist state with two competing factions whose differences can only be calibrated in nuances. But spout the same cant about cultural diversity and sustainability and employ common buzzwords. Every initiative is "green" and all growth is "smart".

A roomate of mine in the early eighties said it best. "Those who advocate more density will get more density without any end to sprawl." Jack Marshall said that smart growth was necessary but not sufficient. It is only necessary as a growth-enabler and a means to line developer pockets. Renegade urban planner Rick Belfour made it clear at the De-growth conference. There are no "green" buildings. We already have TOO MANY buildings and houses. In our post carbon future---if we have one--- cities of Vancouver's size will not be capable of being "fed or energized". Densification does not conserve energy---quite the contrary(see attachment). More energy is needed to transport food in and waste out. Energy is needed for highrise elevators and heat (ever seen a clothes line outside the 11th floor?). So rather than pack them in, as the soft green establishment keeps arguing, we need to disperse people fast. "It is not about the number of buildings", Belfour said, "but where they are situated". They need to situated close to farmland. We need to relocalize and re-ruralize, and depopulated the megalopolis.

I wrote the following upon my return:

This portrait of Vancouver will disabuse you of your illusions about my hometown. It is a story that is being played out across the world----the making of cities that mimic John Kenneth Galbraith’s description of America: affluence co-existing with squalor. In Vancouver (and elsewhere) we now have a two-party system. The “Work Less Party” , and the incumbent “Care Less Party”.
It would be instructional for Australians to see that. I am made sick by these recurrent tales of "Vancouver, the model city". Bull****.

Tim Murray

The Vancouver Myth Debunked | Marvellous Melbourne

And from other writings, this guy seems quite knoledgeable about urban development...

Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Well, we're both biased, that's for sure. At least, I don't sell my opinions as "facts".

In the end, I think, people who travel and spend some time in both places, surely will be able to figure things out for themselves. No need for us to tell them.

You still did not tell me what of the things I said are not facts...

Actually I been generous stating as a fact that Vancouver downtown is prettier where the concept of beauty and attractivenes is, by definition, subjective.
I mention that as a fact simply because the vast majority of people agree that Vancouver downtown is prettier than Seattle downtown.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
movingwiththewinnd, an interesting reading for you from a born and raised Vancouver expatriate to Melbourne....

The Vancouver Myth Debunked

__________________________________________________ ____________
Re. Premier Bligh's "showcase" for "green development" in Vancouver I went to the "De-growth" Conference in Vancouver in early May. I met with Conrad Schmidt of the "Work Less Party", and others, who had a ring side seat to the farce which was the Olympics. I was intent upon writing a summary of the conference, but as usual, was sidetracked by other issues. That Vancouver is held up as a shining beacon of sensible planning is an outrage equivalent to the International Red Cross giving a Nazi concentration camp a five star hotel rating. I was born there and left six years ago, and made my second trip back in 3 years to attend the conference. My impression of the place was only re-inforced. As I commented, it is a city built on an imported slave labour caste where the slaves, too exhausted by long hours and subsistence pay, are on the one hand, celebrated by the chic left and business class alike as agents of diversity, and on the other hand, blamed for not assimilating into our society by the resentful residents who feel their competition. The truth is, the working immigrant poor, have neither the time nor the energy to do so, and it is there children who must interpret mainstream culture for them. Same old con job. My great grandparents were caught in the same vice at the turn of the century. Today 38% of Vancouverites fail to earn the $18 per hour necessary to live a decent living. And 38% of city residents are foreign born. That correlation carries a message. Most newcomers are poor, and as elsewhere in Canada, take a decade to catch up with the hindmost Canadian working poor. They cannot earn the $25,000 per year necessary to pay enough taxes to reimburse governments for the services that are provided for them. In effect, "cultural diversity" is a corporate welfare scam where Canadians pay for the services of cheap labour and employers, landlords and realtors reap the reward. Nothing new about that script. Yet it is one that travel writers and eminent tourists from Brisbane never read.
Yes, Vancouver has invested billions in monorails. But owing to open-ended growth, that transportation network has not displaced car traffic but only supplemented it. Driving about the city is an even greater nightmare now than it was when I left. And in the shadow of this grand monuments there sleeps the homeless, who can be seen by day begging for money or dashing between cars to wipe windshields. Some find shelter by the entrances of million dollar condo highrises. Vancouver is a glowing testament to the truth that growth never closes the income gap, but widens it. It may reduce unemployment, but not the unemployment rate.It may increase the GDP, but not the per capita GNP. Growth may grow the but the forces that profit from it will will ensure that its benefits are not equitably shared by buying city elections and electing pro-development politicians to the provincial legislature. Even the social democratic NDP failed to arrest the widening disparity of wealth during its eight year reign. In fact, evidence suggests that it worsened. Yet leftist politicians still remain faithfull to the credo that to meet the need for affordable housing, education and health care, they must "grow" the revenues. That can only be done in two ways. One is the traditional way of "taxing the rich". But capital is a moving target, and won't live in a tax regime that is much higher than in other jurisdictions. The second way is to pursue economic growth, which the social democratic leadership has picked up as its banner too. The two party system is in reality, a one party growthist state with two competing factions whose differences can only be calibrated in nuances. But spout the same cant about cultural diversity and sustainability and employ common buzzwords. Every initiative is "green" and all growth is "smart".
A roomate of mine in the early eighties said it best. "Those who advocate more density will get more density without any end to sprawl." Jack Marshall said that smart growth was necessary but not sufficient. It is only necessary as a growth-enabler and a means to line developer pockets. Renegade urban planner Rick Belfour made it clear at the De-growth conference. There are no "green" buildings. We already have TOO MANY buildings and houses. In our post carbon future---if we have one--- cities of Vancouver's size will not be capable of being "fed or energized". Densification does not conserve energy---quite the contrary(see attachment). More energy is needed to transport food in and waste out. Energy is needed for highrise elevators and heat (ever seen a clothes line outside the 11th floor?). So rather than pack them in, as the soft green establishment keeps arguing, we need to disperse people fast. "It is not about the number of buildings", Belfour said, "but where they are situated". They need to situated close to farmland. We need to relocalize and re-ruralize, and depopulated the megalopolis.
I wrote the following upon my return:

This portrait of Vancouver will disabuse you of your illusions about my hometown. It is a story that is being played out across the world----the making of cities that mimic John Kenneth Galbraith’s description of America: affluence co-existing with squalor. In Vancouver (and elsewhere) we now have a two-party system. The “Work Less Party” , and the incumbent “Care Less Party”.
It would be instructional for Australians to see that. I am made sick by these recurrent tales of "Vancouver, the model city". Bull****.

Tim Murray

The Vancouver Myth Debunked | Marvellous Melbourne

And from other writings, this guy seems quite knoledgeable about urban development...
Thanks a lot, I'll definitely read.

The funny thing is that I wanted to end this conversation a long time ago, but it never happened and we still going back and forth.

Maybe we should have a drink one day.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I'll definitely read.

The funny thing is that I wanted to end this conversation a long time ago, but it never happened and we still going back and forth.

Maybe we should have a drink one day.
When I come up in Van or you come down....book me up!!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Quote:
And from other writings, this guy seems quite knoledgeable about urban development
Is this an article from a newspaper? Do they not have proofreaders there?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Doesn't look like an article from a newspaper. Looks like just a (pretty extreme) opinion of an expat bitter that he had to leave the place (he loved ).

Old 05-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

It's a blog, not an newspaper article...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver