Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 07:21 PM

523 posts, read 245,129 times

Advertisements

(It's kind of weird to see posters recommending meat on the Vegetarian & Vegan Food sub, no?)

I would focus on creating a small rotation of veganized versions of meals you do like, and then start expanding your food repertoire if you start to get bored. If you are looking for a general framework what what that can look-like, my rotation is something like this:

Breakfast
1. Oatmeal made with soymilk, spices, and raisins or diced fruit
2. French toast made with while grain bread and chia "egg" topped with a little bit of strawberry preserves or maybe a drizzle of maple syrup
3. Tofu scramble (crumbled tofu, shredded cooked potato, mushrooms, spinach, a little salsa mixed in)
4. Once in a while I get the craving for a traditional East Coast breakfast sandwich, so I'll throw together on a whole grain English muffin a tofu egg, veggie bacon, and a sprinkle of melted vegan cheddar

Lunch and Dinner
1. Soba noodle bowl with vegetables, tofu or edamame, ginger, garlic, soy sauce
2. Jeera rice and vegetable curry
3. Minestrone soup with a baked potato on the side
4. Rice and beans with a large side of vegetables
5. Lentil soup with french bread (if you find lentils to be too mealy, try Rienzi canned lentils instead. I don't know what they do differently, but the texture is so much better)

Snacks
1. Brown rice cakes with olive spread
2. Hummus and vegetables
3. Fruit and peanut butter
4. Chia pudding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 07:56 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
"Vegan" means no animal products. It does not mean no fat, salt, or sugar. I'm not sure who told you it does...

Old 12-13-2023, 07:13 AM

5,318 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
All the vegan recipes I have tried so far tasted like mud, bleakness, and despair.
I'm not a vegetarian, however I do like to try different things and broaden my horizons - things that I may not think of trying because I have never cooked it before.

I'm a fan of the Thug Kitchen cookbook. Plenty of tasty meals in there, and a few have worked into the regular rotation because they're so good.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:48 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Thank you everyone who replied. I tried to rep you each and every one but the system would not let me rep some posters as I did so too recently.

MikeIhenny - Coincidentally, I had Channa Masala a day before for the first time. It wasn't either good or bad to me. I will probably make it again.

So far, my most vegan recipe is oatmeal with nuts and berries - both hot and as overnight oats. Fortunately, I like salads so I make a lot of these.

I have made a vegetarian soup recipe that I enjoy - all plants except that diary is added. It is not exactly low fat, but that diet change is a work in progress.

https://www.bing.com/search?https://...jalapeno-soup/

Thanks DeborrahC. I have not considered "vegan crab" before but I will give it a try.

Thanks Springfield VA - You hit the nail on the head. Detailed metabolic testing showed I have problems metabolizing saturated fats. I wore a Continuous Glucose Monitor for two weeks, and my system showed the sharp spikes followed by steep plunges typical of diabetes after eating sugars and high simple carbs. I am working to modify my diet to control that.

Thanks K12144 - I mispoke. I meant to say that I am supposed to go vegan and minimize sugars, fats and salt.

Last edited by ersatz; 12-13-2023 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 12:59 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
I have a number of health issues and I was told by my doctors that they might be mitigated by switching to a Vegan diet. I thought that I was eating healthy before, I truly did. I only eat dairy once or twice a week and meat once a week or less. I only eat ultra processed foods once every couple of months.

I tried to switch to a vegan diet. But after two months, I experienced ravaging insatiable hunger. All the vegan recipes I have tried so far tasted like mud, bleakness, and despair. It seems that my body craves fat, salt, and sugar. I truly want to do better but, so far, I can't stand a vegan diet. It gives me gas, nausea, ravenous hunger, and acute depression. If you can, please suggest some vegan recipes that actually taste good.

If you can do this, Thank You So Very Much!!!!
Ersatz, I kind of bounced around trying to find my way when I too became vegan because of health issues. I love to cook tho, which made my transition fairly easy.
But at the beginning I hit the wall. My wife sat me down and told me that I was a very good cook. And that I needed to focus on what I could eat and not on what I couldn't eat. Now go use the talents God gave you! I guess it was like a slap in the face to snap me out of it. Well it worked.
My advice would be to check out this website. He is amazing and most of the ingredients are easy to find and many you probably already have.
www.thebuddhistchef.com He also has a YouTube station that goes thru many of his recipes.
Good luck to you!
And if there is anything else I can do to help DM me.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:31 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
"Vegan" means no animal products. It does not mean no fat, salt, or sugar. I'm not sure who told you it does...
This 100%. When I went to culinary school one of the Chefs told me-and he had a million of these sayings-Fat=flavor and salt is your friend.

It sounds like you've just cut out everything and are eating salads. That's not vegan. That's not even vegetarian.

Google Vegan fats/proteins free printable chart such as these. There are many, many good reference charts to help you.

https://ordinaryvegan.net/veganprotein-2/
https://tr.pinterest.com/pin/276549233354688326/
https://www.facebook.com/Mouthwateri...2640870440901/

Print these out to help you with meal planning. Use salt and pepper, herbs and spices. Food should never be bland or boring!

Old 12-14-2023, 05:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Vegan meal tonight: Rice with garlic and turmeric, spinach, raisins. Topped with sauteed asparagus, peas, onions. Topped with a parsley/pistachio chimichurri sauce and arugula.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-15-2023, 07:27 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Thanks K12144 - I mispoke. I meant to say that I am supposed to go vegan and minimize sugars, fats and salt.
So, there are many bland and boring and icky meat-filled foods, but I bet you wouldn't paint all meat dishes as bad because you'd had a couple that were. And there are many flavorful vegan foods (there are also many vegan foods full of sugar, fat, and salt). So, what you dislike and find "horrible/ghastly" is food without sugar, fat, and salt, not vegan food. So perhaps ask about that instead.

Old 12-16-2023, 07:35 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
I've attached links to Youtubers who are proponents of the whole foods, plant-based diet/lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/@PlantifulKiki/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@pbwithjeremy/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@Simnettnutrition/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@wholefoodpl...ingshow/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@WellYourWorld/videos

Old 12-17-2023, 03:55 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Thanks for the additional references everyone. I am definitely going to experiment. I did try to eat vegan for a week. Then I drove to the store, bought two cans of Spam and ate them both right out of the can in one sitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food