Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 09:01 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times

Advertisements

try Broth soups. Fish, Chix, Roast Chix, Beef, Veg using restaurant grade bouillon. Asian food stores have other flavors. Miso is cheap but I find mostly boring and excessively salty.
Any type of veg's. Mostly I use outer 3 leaves or equivalent of napa cabbage, green beans, broccoli, etc. to large bowl.
Alternatively a package of ramen with a lot of veg's.
I add Mrs Dash, or good substitutes like Riley's All Purpose, or Riley's Spice of Life seasonings (Garlic Rub is lower in salt and heat) which is value bulk 1# packages.
I eat a lot of soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 03:28 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If a doctor told me to switch to a nutrient deficient diet to combat health issues, I'd switch doctors.
There’s nothing “nutrient deficient” about a vegan diet, and most of us get more vitamins and minerals than meat-eaters, whose diets mostly consist of protein and starch.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:46 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Did the OP ever respond? Today I made a Buddha Bowl, 100% vegan and full of nutrition and flavors.
I bought some purple kale and wasn't sure what to make with it, and the internet led me to this recipe: https://www.loveandlemons.com/buddha-bowl-recipe/

As the recipe states, you are free to alter anything, which I did in order to use whatever I had on hand.
My bowl included fried cubes of tofu and chickpeas for protein, raw kale and spinach, sauteed kale & Brussels sprouts in olive oil & garlic, bulgur (whole grain, you can use quinoa or brown rice if you want gluten free), topped with a tahini dressing and sesame seeds. I love the mix of colors and flavors and wish I had some microgreens to sprinkle on top.

I made a big batch and it was enough for one meal plus three container lunches to bring to work next week, that can be eaten cold.

Old 01-15-2024, 12:12 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Did the OP ever respond? Today I made a Buddha Bowl, 100% vegan and full of nutrition and flavors.
I bought some purple kale and wasn't sure what to make with it, and the internet led me to this recipe: https://www.loveandlemons.com/buddha-bowl-recipe/

As the recipe states, you are free to alter anything, which I did in order to use whatever I had on hand.
My bowl included fried cubes of tofu and chickpeas for protein, raw kale and spinach, sauteed kale & Brussels sprouts in olive oil & garlic, bulgur (whole grain, you can use quinoa or brown rice if you want gluten free), topped with a tahini dressing and sesame seeds. I love the mix of colors and flavors and wish I had some microgreens to sprinkle on top.

I made a big batch and it was enough for one meal plus three container lunches to bring to work next week, that can be eaten cold.
My daughter does Purple Carrot and gave me one of the meals to take home and make. It was good. Lemon pepper tofu on top of a bed of white bean puree with za'atar. Green beans and a caper/lemon dressing topped it off. Very tasty. Made two meals.

Old 01-15-2024, 12:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter does Purple Carrot and gave me one of the meals to take home and make. It was good. Lemon pepper tofu on top of a bed of white bean puree with za'atar. Green beans and a caper/lemon dressing topped it off. Very tasty. Made two meals.
I just checked them out, I would so do that if I didn't have DH to consider. For awhile Grocery Outlet was carrying Daily Harvest and they were really good... not good to look at but healthy and tasty.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2024, 08:18 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
try Broth soups. Fish, Chix, Roast Chix, Beef, Veg using restaurant grade bouillon. Asian food stores have other flavors. Miso is cheap but I find mostly boring and excessively salty.
Any type of veg's. Mostly I use outer 3 leaves or equivalent of napa cabbage, green beans, broccoli, etc. to large bowl.
Alternatively a package of ramen with a lot of veg's.
I add Mrs Dash, or good substitutes like Riley's All Purpose, or Riley's Spice of Life seasonings (Garlic Rub is lower in salt and heat) which is value bulk 1# packages.
I eat a lot of soup.
I eat a lot of soup too. I have plenty of Asian supermarkets nearby so can buy a bunch of veg there. I mostly make my own broth as commercial bouillon and other prepacked soup bases are much too high in sodium for me. I often save peelings etc. in a bag in the freezer and roast them and use them to make broth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Yes, I have, several times. Not a big fan of buddah bowls but I like soup and salad. I have used recipes from the loveandlemons site before.

Thanks for the additional suggestions everyone. A subscription service, such as Daily Harvest or Purple Carrot, would be simpler but is somewhat more expensive than my preferred food budget. I appreciate that shopping for veggies seems to be somewhat cheaper than shopping regularly for meat.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:18 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Saying this with love--it will take you time to adjust your taste buds from fatty, salty, sugary to the tastes of vegetarian foods.

A different taste than you're used to.

Give yourself a month or so to make the switch and those" ghastly" vegetarian foods will start tasting delicious!

Google a recipe for lentil/split pea soup. Easy to make, a one pot meal. Very nutritious and filling. Quite "meat-like" too. Filling the way meat can be...but without the fat...and economical to make.
All too many vegetarian foods are overly salty and sugary and some contain vegetable fats like soy oil that are not terribly healthy.

Old 02-06-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Thank you everyone who replied. I tried to rep you each and every one but the system would not let me rep some posters as I did so too recently.

MikeIhenny - Coincidentally, I had Channa Masala a day before for the first time. It wasn't either good or bad to me. I will probably make it again.

So far, my most vegan recipe is oatmeal with nuts and berries - both hot and as overnight oats. Fortunately, I like salads so I make a lot of these.

I have made a vegetarian soup recipe that I enjoy - all plants except that diary is added. It is not exactly low fat, but that diet change is a work in progress.

https://www.bing.com/search?https://...jalapeno-soup/

Thanks DeborrahC. I have not considered "vegan crab" before but I will give it a try.

Thanks Springfield VA - You hit the nail on the head. Detailed metabolic testing showed I have problems metabolizing saturated fats. I wore a Continuous Glucose Monitor for two weeks, and my system showed the sharp spikes followed by steep plunges typical of diabetes after eating sugars and high simple carbs. I am working to modify my diet to control that.

Thanks K12144 - I mispoke. I meant to say that I am supposed to go vegan and minimize sugars, fats and salt.

Sounds like a problem with sugars and simple carbs, not a problem with animal products.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There’s nothing “nutrient deficient” about a vegan diet, and most of us get more vitamins and minerals than meat-eaters, whose diets mostly consist of protein and starch.

I am a meat eater. But I love caprese' with tomatoes from the garden. I love a good thin crust margherita pizza, I can make chile' con or sans carne' and think they are both good. A favorite my dear departed mother made was minestrone -- her recipe was without the ham that is now often included. So it is entirely possible to enjoy meat AND enjoy vegetarian or vegan dishes, (meatless chile.)

What I don't like: Any fake food, such as fake meat or fake seafood.

What I don't like: Overly processed foods like "tater-tots."

What I don't like: Anything heavily salted, although olives, anchovies -- I understand salt comes with the territory.

What I don't like: Gratituous excess sugar. About the worst I ever experienced this is when vegetarian friends took me to a "Zen" vegetarian restaurant. Everything was sweetened like it was desert. Obviously this was not a good representation of what meatless meals should be.

What I don't like: Cheap vegetable oils. I can afford good olive oil. We will never have margarine in this house. If I brought margarine in my wife might leave me. Real low salt or non-salted butter from grass-fed cows -- absolutely yes.

So I eat meat. I am an omnivore and I think your generalization was a little unfair. I know a good many meat-eaters who like me appreciate a wide range of real foods and whose diets absolutely do not "mostly consist of protein and starch."

Old 02-13-2024, 07:08 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,988 times
Just read through this. Although I’m not a vegetarian, I rarely eat red meat. Here’s some of my meals:

Stuffed peppers with black beans, corn, can of fire roasted tomatoes (low salt if sodium restriction) and a brown rice/quinoa mix. (Sometimes a little cheese on top)

Cod stew. If interested I’ll send recipe but it’s basically a soup with cod instead of shellfish (highly allergic)

Salmon (so many ways to prepare) with roasted sweet potato.

Although it was mentioned that nuts are fattening I only eat a handful a day. Mostly almonds and walnuts but sometimes I buy a mixed variety. No salt

Caprese salad. Tomatoes, low fat mozzarella, avocado and a spoonful of pesto (jarred)

Dr Pragers veggie burgers. Love these. Baked sweet potato fries (from a sweet potato not packaged).

Roasted veggies often. Broccoli, broccolini, green beans, carrots.

I’m not a huge sugar person but like something sweet. I eat a plain Yasso pop or handful of raisins and dates.
There’s a good granola from Elizabeth that’s low fat and I’ll have a small serving as a snack

Breakfast is oatmeal. I like Bobs red mill. I mix the plain packages with low sugar ones. I need a little bit of sweet with oatmeal. Side of fresh berries.

Hummus, cucumbers, olives, small amount of feta and a small whole wheat pita with some roasted chicken.

Refried beans, cut up roasted chicken, salsa, brown rice/quinoa mix, corn. Like a Mexican veggie bowl. I’m not dairy intolerant so I put a little cheese on it.

whole wheat pastas or soba noodles Stir fry veggies and low sodium type of soy sauce

Hope this sounds a little appetizing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food