Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 PM

24 posts, read 43,105 times

Advertisements

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a grade and why is it something I would want to avoid? I mean, I get that a grade is generally an elevation but again, why is this such a big deal there? I see it referred to in many posts on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM

89 posts, read 422,239 times
Conejo Grade - Camarillo Wiki (http://www.camarillowiki.org/Conejo_Grade - broken link)

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,443,578 times
a grade is a place that a tractor trailor can lose control and smash into the mountain side. I was on the Conejo grade heading toward Oxnard when I saw what had happened to one truck. The truck was inbedded into the mountain face the front of the truck including the cab were gone.

A grade is a place that a mortorcyclist can fall off his bike if a little gravel gets on the road. Allthough that can happen lots of places a friend of mine ended up on the road getting what could be called a road rash tattoo. He lived but his back still shows what happened to him. Some people don't live.

A grade is a place that a mortorcyclist can lose something, reach for it, and fall off your bike, causing you to run at 70 mph toward the center devider to get out of the way of traffic. He lived also but his bike was in pieces. Saw that first hand.

A grade is a place that can be shut down because of a wreck or accident and if you are on it you are stuck for hours or till the next day. Has happened before and will again.

The Conejo Grade is a place where you will go up 1,000 feet in less than 3 miles, or down as the case may be.

Police say fatal plunge off Conejo Grade may be suicide » Ventura County Star

US 101 Photo Gallery: Conejo Valley

Details emerge in fatal Conejo Grade collision » Ventura County Star

Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Conejo Grade, a photo from California, West | TrekEarth

Old 09-03-2011, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 43,105 times
Oh, ok. I guess I was missing the gravity of it because where I live I guess the entire area is considered a grade.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,146,872 times
I've been in the area off/on for awhile and I miss the gravity of it as well. Yes, there is some additional traffic and accidents can cause issues, but beyond that it isn't a big deal.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:07 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,099,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieshar View Post
I am interviewing for a job in Ventura this week and wanting advice on where to live in the county.
My choice would be Ventura if that's where the job is. Depending on where in Ventura, i.e. mid-town or east Ventura, then north Oxnard might be an option also to keep the commute short. I'd avoid a commute from the Conejo Valley. It gets to be a grind after a while. In terms of safety, all of Ventura County is low crime.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 09-03-2011 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-03-2011, 10:55 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,146,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
It gets to be a grind after a while. In terms of safety, all of Ventura County is low crime.
Except of course the areas of Oxnard that have an active gang injunction....

Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Except of course the areas of Oxnard that have an active gang injunction....
Must be doing something right because Oxnard has less problems than Santa Barbara, Ventura, and many many other areas. Maybe more cities should have active gang injunctions. Maybe if all places told known gangs that they can get arrested for associating with other known gang members things in those cities would change. Why wouldn't you want to live in a city that says gangs are bad and we are going to do something about them. Over the years that this gang injuction has been in place people are spending time doing things at night in Oxnard. The downtown has been revitalized and people like going there. One of the best clubs in the county is on Oxnard Blvd near the transportation center. The weekends are alive and happening in Oxnard. Maybe other cities will catch on and realize that gang injunctions work and that we the people can take our cities back again. Another thought is why would you ever want to get rid of the gabg injunction? I hope that they keep it in place for ever. I want every gang member or potential gang member to realize that Oxnard means business when it comes to crime and violence. We take it personal and are doing something about it. The numbers show that the gang injunction works. Yes we have a gang injunction. Better question to ask is why doesn't everyone else have one?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 AM

699 posts, read 1,348,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
It gets to be a grind after a while. In terms of safety, all of Ventura County is low crime.
Ventura County Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedis ranked #3 nationallyfor its low crime rate.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County