Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:44 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Except of course the areas of Oxnard that have an active gang injunction....
How about some specifics that might be helpful for the OP? Which "areas" and what kinds of crime will the OP in danger of? Once you've IDs those, you can perhaps offer some other areas where the OP will be "safe." Oxnard's crime is among the lowest in the country for cities of its size. Safer than Ventura and Santa Barbara. I thought by now we would have been past this discussion.

In general, my advice is this: avoid parts of the Avenue and Montalvo in Ventura. In Oxnard, avoid Southwinds, the Saviors corridor, the apartments along west Channel Islands Blvd., Rose @ Camino Del Sol, north Ventura Road and H Street. This is my broad and general advice.

There are several very large apartment groupings that are nice and well managed. Check the ones near St. John's hospital, Oxnard @ Vineyard, Riverpark. *Some* of the beach-area apartments are ok. Others, not so much.

Ventura doesn't have as many really large complexes, but has a lot of smaller ones. Some of them can be rowdy, so check on a building-by-building basis once you find an area you like. Near downtown are some nicer, quieter buildings, though the neighborhoods there can have some party activity on the weekends. South of the Pacific View Mall are areas with several apartment buildings. The area is safe, but since the buildings are managed individually, it's worth scrutinizing them individually as well.

The best approach to both Oxnard and Ventura is to drill down a bit once you find an area you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Here is the latest safe city reports from differant sources.

America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) Cities

Oxnard ranks 133 on a list of 371 safest cities in the United States

Simi 6
Thousand Oaks 13
Ventura 66

Ventura Metro area 46th of all Metros in the nation.

CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2009

In the above listing Oxnard is 156th safest city of 393 on the list

Simi 31
Thousand Oaks 12
Ventura 111

FBI — Table 4 Alabama - California

In the Uniform Crime Report you can read the stats of the following cities. In Oxnard the listing shows that for most crimes the numbers are down.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
How about some specifics that might be helpful for the OP? Which "areas" and what kinds of crime will the OP in danger of? Once you've IDs those, you can perhaps offer some other areas where the OP will be "safe." Oxnard's crime is among the lowest in the country for cities of its size. Safer than Ventura and Santa Barbara. I thought by now we would have been past this discussion.
How about the residents of Oxnard give specifies instead of pretending as if the entire area is safe when it is in fact...not the case.

Oxnard's crime is not "among the lowest" its just a bit below average, but average crime statistics don't tell you about the distribution of crime throughout a city. Oxnard has some very rough areas....

Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Must be doing something right because Oxnard has less problems than Santa Barbara, Ventura, and many many other areas.
Ventura has less crime than Oxnard and Oxnard and Santa Babara are around the same, but the type of crime is a lot different.

Regardless, Oxnard has a gang problem and there are areas within the city that are essentially ghettos.

In terms of why every city doesn't have a gang injunction, the answer is pretty simple. Gang injunctions involve serious civil liberty issues (yeah...I know you guys don't care about them) so a universal gang injunction would just result in a reduction in civil liberties for everyone. They should be used only in serious cases, if at all. Not only that, it would be ineffective. Gang injunctions allow police forces, etc to allocate resources to problem areas, a universal gang injunction wouldn't allow resources any differently....

Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 PM

89 posts, read 421,309 times
Quote:
How about the residents of Oxnard give specifies instead of pretending as if the entire area is safe when it is in fact...not the case.

Oxnard's crime is not "among the lowest" its just a bit below average, but average crime statistics don't tell you about the distribution of crime throughout a city. Oxnard has some very rough areas....
I live in Port Hueneme, drive all over Oxnard and I also would like to know where these rough areas are so I can stay away from them.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olypentax View Post
I live in Port Hueneme, drive all over Oxnard and I also would like to know where these rough areas are so I can stay away from them.
If you drive all over Oxnard you'd seen them and then clearly we have very different definitions of what are "rough areas"...so such would be pointless.

Anybody that denies Oxnard has bad dilapidated areas has much different standards than most people....

With this said, I keep forgetting to take pictures of these areas so I can post them here and end this silly debate. Of course....that involves driving through Oxnard so who knows if I'll get to it!

Old 09-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If you drive all over Oxnard you'd seen them and then clearly we have very different definitions of what are "rough areas"...so such would be pointless.

Anybody that denies Oxnard has bad dilapidated areas has much different standards than most people....

With this said, I keep forgetting to take pictures of these areas so I can post them here and end this silly debate. Of course....that involves driving through Oxnard so who knows if I'll get to it!
Oh that is right. To comment on the area in an educated manner one would have to actually visit the area.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Oh that is right. To comment on the area in an educated manner one would have to actually visit the area.
Umm....yeah, but how does that relate to my post?

Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Umm....yeah, but how does that relate to my post?
You sound like the many other Conejo area residents that may have been in Oxnard years ago or maybe never at all. They repeat the same old stories about the area without ever visiting the area. In your post that I was commenting on you mentioned that to take pictures of the area "that involves driving through Oxnard so who knows if I'll get to it!" Ofcourse driving through Oxnard would include seeing good areas as well as bad. Who is going to pretend that we don't have both. Still you can't see the bad without seeing the good. Visiting the bad areas would also include seeing the improvements being made in the city. If you do report make it a truthfull report. I would include visiting those bad areas during the night as well. You want to give an honest oppinion of the area. I mean wouldn't the readers here want to know how bad it really is in Oxnard at all times of the day.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
You sound like the many other Conejo area residents that may have been in Oxnard years ago or maybe never at all.
Naturally...anybody that disagrees with your rhetoric hasn't been to Oxnard!

My comments about Oxnard have nothing to do with being a "Conejo area resident", indeed, I've been living here less than a year.

Quote:
In your post that I was commenting on you mentioned that to take pictures of the area "that involves driving through Oxnard so who knows if I'll get to it!" Ofcourse driving through Oxnard would include seeing good areas as well as bad. Who is going to pretend that we don't have both.
Who is going to pretend? You guys, you continuously react negatively to the suggestion that there area areas in Oxnard that are far from safe. I mention gang injunctions and you start rumbling about how everyone should have one, as if the gang injunctions were a positive statement about Oxnard! No, they exist because gang activity in some areas of Oxnard got so out of hand that the started to effectively control the areas...

Quote:
I would include visiting those bad areas during the night as well.
Taking pictures at night isn't exactly effective....is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County