Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 AM

129 posts, read 561,866 times

Advertisements

I live in Ventura County and I can tell you to be careful which part of Oxnard you choose. Lots of gangs in an area called Colonia. Extremely hispanic area...if that bothers you. Ventura's good...so is Port Hueneme for souls over 50. Tis expensive to live here tho'...I'm moving to Oregon.New Mexico is cheaper. Hot weather tho...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 20,689 times
Default Camarillo, Channel Island Harbor or Newbury Park?

Hi,

My husband has just accepted a job at Point Mugu. We will be moving to the area from Washington DC the end of September. It is hard to believe this, but the prices look better in California than DC.

We plan on renting initially and are intrigued with the Channel Island Harbor area. I have noticed that there are alot of foreclosures, and many of these are for rent.
Also, how would you compare this area to living in Camarillo?
Can you also give me info on the Camarillo Springs golf course subdivision?

We were looking at places near the new Von's shopping area.
We like to walk and ride bikes.
Are these "safe" areas?
I am sure it is like DC, there are very safe pockets and then some that you don't even drive through.

Would we better going into Newbury Park?

Thanks for any guidance that you can provide.
Linda

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda in DC View Post
Hi,

My husband has just accepted a job at Point Mugu. We will be moving to the area from Washington DC the end of September. It is hard to believe this, but the prices look better in California than DC.

We plan on renting initially and are intrigued with the Channel Island Harbor area. I have noticed that there are alot of foreclosures, and many of these are for rent.

Are these "safe" areas?
I am sure it is like DC, there are very safe pockets and then some that you don't even drive through.

Linda

Thanks.
The Channel Islands Harbor area of Oxnard is the new shining star in the whole area, IMO. Seabridge is an incredible development centered around walking and biking, stores next to residential next to commercial -- and built with the utmost respect for taste and aesthetics.

Camarillo Springs is a gated car-based community, to my knowledge. It wouldn't be my first pick, though I'm acquainted with people who live there and say that they like it.

There are few truly "unsafe" areas anywhere in Ventura County. All cities in the county experience varying degrees of gang activity, but nothing on the scale of inner-city L.A. Not even close. My personal "to-be-avoided" areas include Ventura's lower west end, "The Avneue," and parts of Montalvo; Oxnard's La Colonia and Southwinds neighborhoods; the unincorporated county communities of Saticoy and El Rio; and certain condo developments in Santa Paula. Again, there are my personal "stay-aways" so no offense.... Keep in mind that the region Camarillo, PH, Oxnard, Ventura is fairly big, around 400,000 population, so you will find variances on many levels. Good luck to you.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 PM

123 posts, read 487,992 times
Hi. When I moved from MI to Ventura I looked at many different places. I had friends in Oxnard and some areas like the one you are speaking were nicer but some were very run down. Camarillo near the outlet mall seemed nice and safe. In Ventura there were parts too that I felt were run down but overall I felt safer and more comfortable in Ventura. I found a place off Telegraph and Victoria. I really enjoyed my apt and it was in a gated community and close to many things. I am not sure if you have kids but that may be something you want to think about as well. What I did before I moved was to look on the internet at like craigslit and then I stayed in a hotel till I could look at the places and find what I felt suited my needs.Many hotels offer weekly rates. I looked at so many apts before I chose the one I rented.I ended up spending more then I wanted but the cheaper ones had major issues and I was spending so much on a hotel it was better for me to just pay more and be happier and safer. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,242 times
Quote:
Hi,

Are these "safe" areas?

Linda

Thanks.
Im going to vote for Newbury Park. I live in Newbury Park and it is a GREAT place to live. Its got a small town feel, even though it's not a small town. It's a friendly place. The weather is not as cool as Ventura/Camarillo/Port Hueneme, but still very nice. Conejo Valley School district is very highly regarded. Lots of shopping/restaurants/hiking areas. Lots to do outdoors, but not much nightlife. Its more of a bedroom community, and thus the safe feeling. It is not just a feeling, it is a safe place to live.

The drive to Pt Mugu is quick and easy - down the back way thru Potrero Rd. by CSUCI.

Camarillo would be my second choice. Its a nice area. Schools seem to have some issues, though. Many people from Camarillo send their kids to Newbury Park High. You dont hear about much crime in Camarillo.

If you have any specific questions, ask!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Hi,

Are these "safe" areas?

Linda

Thanks.
Do you have kids? Ages?
Will both of you work? Where (will you work)?
Eventual price range for a home?

What type of living are you looking for? Suburban with kids' amenities? Urban-lite near shops, clubs, restaurants, etc? Country/rural? Apartment/Townhome/low maintenance?

Just out of curiosity, what's going on at Mugu these days? Is there new work there? What programs? Is he a contractor or civil service? When I left there 11 years ago things were really winding down.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,673 times
macsret,
Well I can tell you that even though the cost of housing here can be a bit overwhelming at first, that I am certainly very glad that the Navy sent me this way. A Georgia native, the real estate market there compared to here is tremendously different. However, it has quickly caught up over the last few years. I had to make a choice 2 years ago when my father fell ill & retired (from self-employment with no retirement plan) to choose either to return home or bring him here. Either way I knew it meant I could not reasonably re-enlist further making the decision to stay here a harder choice to choose. I live in as much of the downtown area of Port Hueneme as it can possibly lay claim to and have not regretted staying here one bit. The prices of homes everywhere in the nation have risen and then fell; but, the places I wanted most to return to back east were largely unaffected by the real estate bust. Here on the other hand I see the homes selling for half of what they were when I made my decision to stay. I argued my reasoning for staying with family members why Port Hueneme was the best choice for me because of the conveniences of the medical abilities nearby, close proximity to the NEX and base of course since I did remain reserve for just in case I get the chance to return to active one day or not. No big deal anymore, I love where I am at either way. But back on cue, even though the housing was priced 200K below what I would have paid back east at the time I made up for the cost in travel expenses alone. Even back, when gas only $1-1.30/gal I still spent nearly $600/mo in fuel just to get my day-to-day chores completed. Urban sprawl is crazy in the southeast and the LA complaints seem unwarranted to me considering the amounts of people they have in such a space. I live and work in Port Hueneme and rarely have to drive. I can easily walk to the beaches, shopping, many locally owned restaurants, both jobs (since I live within 2 blocks of each) my utilities are generally only $100/mo all inclusive whereas they were $500-700/mo back east of course my utilities don't include cable or other amenities because I have plenty to do and enjoy here without it and my Dad even with his health issues, maybe moving slow; but gets out and enjoys all this city has to offer right along with me. Now just like everyone else has said on here every single town in Ventura Cnty has its fair share of problems and problem areas but with my career (Engineer), I get to see all these areas problems great and small first hand on a daily basis. Here is a great website that maintains all of the homes (for sale, lease and rent) listed with realtors and covers the entire area and some outlying areas as well.

Ventura County Regional Data Share

If you find anything that interest you I am sure to have firsthand experience with the neighborhood and can tell you what I have seen to a reasonable extent anyway. I can tell you though that like one of the other posters had said that major improvements have been made over the last several years here. Thankfully, politicians only get a short lease on their offices and even though prices have drastically lowered, the community seems relentless to improve. I hated it here and thought much of the place was a dump, concrete jungle and full of poor helpless folks left behind by the economic whiplash from its outrageous climb in value that was certainly not feasible for it to stay at that level. It did not take long to see past its issues and know that it was great place to call home.
Well I certainly hope that everything I said will be of some use to you and maybe next time I speak to you it will not be so late and my thoughts will not be as cloudy or jumbled together. Please feel free to contact me for any information you need. I am locked-in to stay here for at least 6 years and will gladly provide updates along and along over the time I am here. Take care and God Bless!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,168 times
pickleswanson,

Great post, informative and presented well. The website was excellent. BTW, I'm retired NAVY, maybe you caught that fact from my screen name. LOL When I was stationed at the old CBC and now NBVC, I absolutely loved it there. Will be PMing you and hope we do stay in touch and you keep the updates coming.

Thank you Sir!

jOE

Old 09-04-2008, 09:10 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Joe, Also you could look on-line at the newspaper for the region. It's the Ventura County Star. venturacountystar.com Once you are on the site, toward the top of the page, you will see different cities and you can just click on the ones you are interested in. That way you can see the goings on and local news of the different towns daily.

Enjoy California, we are trying to get there ourselves.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:20 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,168 times
Roma,

Thanks for the info will follow-up on the website tip, need to keep up... don't ya know.

BTW, I'm betting you will be there before we will, so let me know how it goes. Like you I can't wait to get there.

jOE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County