Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
Could not agree more with this post. You hit it on the head.
X2.

It is all relative to your income. Paying $4000 in property taxes from a $40K job is tougher than paying $8000 from a $120K job.......seems fairly obvious to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM

400 posts, read 849,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Perhaps it is relative to the area in NYS. Downstate taxes are high.

I live on LI. The house I own is set on 13 acres in Chester, VT with taxes $4600 a year. The same house here would be around $10K on a 60X100 lot. Pricewise, the VT house is currently worth a little under $200K. On LI, in a comparable area, it would be worth approx. $300K- $325K

School taxes make up a substantial portion of both tax bills.
I don't think its really fair to compare long island with upstate NY or Vermont. One is part of a massive city that offers higher pay, more economic opportunity and services as well as proximity to a lot more amenities that simply don't exist in the other area. The other is basically barren and you have to get by with a lot less and receive a lot less from the government in return.

I never thought it was any secret LI real estate is expensive, but it might be that Vermont's is as well!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 28,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Real estate prices have dipped in Vermont in the second home market-thats why you're seeing lower prices in the "tourist" towns such as Woodstock, Quechee, Stratton etc.
As others have mentioned above, try branching out to what I call "normal" Vermont towns. Try Danby, Wallingford, Springfield, Woodford, Readsboro or Rockingham in Southern Vermont and I think you'll find much more reasonable real estate prices AND tax rates.
Can you tell me what the property tax rates are in Brattleboro and surrounding VT towns compared to towns in NH across the river? I am being offered a job in Brattleboro next summer and am worried about high property taxes.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
I don't think its really fair to compare long island with upstate NY or Vermont. One is part of a massive city that offers higher pay, more economic opportunity and services as well as proximity to a lot more amenities that simply don't exist in the other area. The other is basically barren and you have to get by with a lot less and receive a lot less from the government in return.

I never thought it was any secret LI real estate is expensive, but it might be that Vermont's is as well!
You do realise that Long Islanders don't all work in NYC, don't you? We certainly do not all benefit by living near NYC (some LIers are over 100 miles away.) I'm only 1/2 way out on LI and my commute would be 2 hours. I own a local business and despite not commuting, pay into the MTA so that others can be subsidized to commute into NYC. For evey $1.00 I send to Albany for school taxes, my district receives .80 back. While you feel I may be receiving more in services, it isn't necessarily true. LI has been NYS's cash cow for some time. LIers tend to pay more and receive less when compared to NYC or downstate.

Someone paying $12K a year in my NY community (median income $90K) is paying more here than someone earning $40K paying $4K in my VT community. That VTer would be eligible for income sensitivity under Act 60 would they not? We have STAR here, but in terms of taxes, it isn't much and is not income sensitive. One LIer struggling on $50K a year will see the same STAR as someone earning $100K.

As you point out, there are some apples and oranges here, but you can't paint all of LI or VT with one brush. One thing both areas have in common is that the lack of significant industry causes people to pay out more in taxes.

I am not trying to argue and split hairs with you; I am trying (as a person paying taxes in BOTH states) to show you how I come upon the VT taxes to be lower.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post

I think the key word here is RETIREMENT. When retired you don't have to be close to a massive city w/ economic opportunities. I lived in So Fl for 25 years and taxes were over $10,000 a year. I bought a summer home in the Blue Ridge Mountains which I have since made my permanent home (I have horses and I LOVE it here) My taxes on 3 acres, is under $1000 a year!!!! When I go to the tax assessor's office every year to pay...lol...I feel like getting down on my knees and thanking them!!!! I am THRILLED to have simplified my life and my expenses and I am in HEAVEN living here! Good luck to OP!!!! If the taxes in Vt are sooo high , keep searching! You will find your forever happy home

Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You do realise that Long Islanders don't all work in NYC, don't you? We certainly do not all benefit by living near NYC (some LIers are over 100 miles away.) I'm only 1/2 way out on LI and my commute would be 2 hours. I own a local business and despite not commuting, pay into the MTA so that others can be subsidized to commute into NYC. For evey $1.00 I send to Albany for school taxes, my district receives .80 back. While you feel I may be receiving more in services, it isn't necessarily true. LI has been NYS's cash cow for some time. LIers tend to pay more and receive less when compared to NYC or downstate.

Someone paying $12K a year in my NY community (median income $90K) is paying more here than someone earning $40K paying $4K in my VT community. That VTer would be eligible for income sensitivity under Act 60 would they not? We have STAR here, but in terms of taxes, it isn't much and is not income sensitive. One LIer struggling on $50K a year will see the same STAR as someone earning $100K.

As you point out, there are some apples and oranges here, but you can't paint all of LI or VT with one brush. One thing both areas have in common is that the lack of significant industry causes people to pay out more in taxes.

I am not trying to argue and split hairs with you; I am trying (as a person paying taxes in BOTH states) to show you how I come upon the VT taxes to be lower.
Your post makes perfect sense if you look at median income. In Vermont you can't look at median income. There is such a huge difference in low and high incomes in the state. The recent data released fom the state shows that about 50% of people living in Vermont make less than $13/hr. (27,000 or less/yr). Due to our population size, looking at it from a statistical or research point of view, it takes fewer higher income people to drive the median income number up. I agree you can't always look at state to state data and make comparisons, but in the Metro NY area as an example, the median income level is more reliable due to population size.
ACT 60 is not really working as well as the state would like. The state is not making the money it should to support its needs. The new admin. has announced it will be cutting 110 million in spending to help balance our state budget. The cuts are in social programs that are there to help the low income people in the state. Also the state healthcare program is changing. Catamount Healthcare will be gone and rolled into the Vermont Health Access Plan and their deductibles are going to double. If someone is low income, they pay one way or another.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackht View Post
Can you tell me what the property tax rates are in Brattleboro and surrounding VT towns compared to towns in NH across the river? I am being offered a job in Brattleboro next summer and am worried about high property taxes.
NH also has high property taxes because there's no income or sales tax, meaning the towns get little assistance from the state. So they make up for it with property taxes. I know in the upper valley (Woodstock, White River, Norwich, etc) the towns in NH (Hanover, Lebanon, etc) seem to have higher property taxes than those in VT. Not sure about the area near Brattleboro.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
NH also has high property taxes because there's no income or sales tax, meaning the towns get little assistance from the state. So they make up for it with property taxes. I know in the upper valley (Woodstock, White River, Norwich, etc) the towns in NH (Hanover, Lebanon, etc) seem to have higher property taxes than those in VT. Not sure about the area near Brattleboro.
Brattleboro has astronomical property taxes. The taxes in Chesterfield, NH are lower than Brattleboro. A small to medium sized house in Chesterfield will run about $4-4.5K in property taxes.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 28,179 times
Unhappy Brattleboro property taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Brattleboro has astronomical property taxes. The taxes in Chesterfield, NH are lower than Brattleboro. A small to medium sized house in Chesterfield will run about $4-4.5K in property taxes.
Thanks for the info- I will check it out. My property taxes in Denver are only $1200/yr, so these figures sound really high to me!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM

140 posts, read 676,424 times
I'm in the same boat, Ulysses. I'd like to live in Burlington Vermont. I can afford a house there, but I cannot afford the property taxes. So it may be Colorado for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont