Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 06:27 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Easy to paint whole picture as democrat, but there are nuances here believe it or not. Where I'm at in Franklin County it's evenly split 50/50 D & R. Our governor was recently named most popular in the US.

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/poll-...urvey/43656444

He may be a RINO by national standards, but he's not a democrat. I like him as I can't stand extreme pendulum swings on either side and he has the veto power to slow the democrat agenda in the legislature. If you're a staunch conservative, then yeah obviously Vermont is not your best option. But they are here and do make their presence known nonetheless. I lean center left and won't disagree on the spineless democrats remark, because it's true.

It's local municipal government where taxes and political policy are most palpable. Choose your town/city very carefully.

For the community aspects, I'm living in my fourth state as a resident so I see it more of a generational thing and less of a geographical one. That said New England as a whole is undeniably more reserved and a tougher nut to crack. It takes more work to get to know people here. But we're not immune to 21st century society here. Do a google or youtube search on dating, finding friends, & loneliness in the modern world and you'll find yourself in a very deep rabbit hole.
I live in Franklin County as well, but I don't see a 50/50 split between D & R. There are pockets of moderate conservatives and smaller pockets of staunch conservatives (I find these to be the older generation), but most of what I see is more progressive leaning democrats, especially where controversial issues are concerned - mostly pertaining to education.

Conservatives vote, too, but they are continually outnumbered.

Agree about Phil Scott - even liberals seem reluctant to put the full court press progressive/democrats in place in Montpelier because Scott is popular even with Ds. Their little Utopia will be upended if D/Ps are handed a super majority, not that it isn't already on its way there now!
Not sure who can challenge him, but voters putting Zuckerman back in as LT Gov, when it was very clear he and Scott didn't play well together was just another one of those head scratchers. Scott vetoed the 'affordable heat act' and we'll see if the legislature overrides him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 01:03 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I live in Franklin County as well, but I don't see a 50/50 split between D & R. There are pockets of moderate conservatives and smaller pockets of staunch conservatives (I find these to be the older generation), but most of what I see is more progressive leaning democrats, especially where controversial issues are concerned - mostly pertaining to education.

Conservatives vote, too, but they are continually outnumbered.

Agree about Phil Scott - even liberals seem reluctant to put the full court press progressive/democrats in place in Montpelier because Scott is popular even with Ds. Their little Utopia will be upended if D/Ps are handed a super majority, not that it isn't already on its way there now!
Not sure who can challenge him, but voters putting Zuckerman back in as LT Gov, when it was very clear he and Scott didn't play well together was just another one of those head scratchers. Scott vetoed the 'affordable heat act' and we'll see if the legislature overrides him.
Based on 2020 election polls, that was my indication that Franklin County was split pretty close to half and half, though I do understand that doesn't paint the whole picture. I live in St. A, but when I drive around areas like Highgate and Sheldon hardline conservatives most certainly make their presence well known. Drive past the gun shop in Highgate on 207 and it's stated pretty loud and clear with the vulgar/expletive anti Biden flag waving in the air. And well that's their 1st amendment right so there's that. Anyway, I'm gonna pipe down on political commentary for a while and for my own peace of mind.

It's a stunningly beautiful, warm, and sunny spring day with lots of bird song, vibrant bright colors, and abundant blooms in these green pastures, hills, and mountains and at least for today I feel blessed to call this beautiful state home. I want to hold on to that feeling.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-07-2023 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 03:11 PM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
77 posts, read 198,496 times
Quote:
Anyway, I'm gonna pipe down on political commentary for a while and for my own peace of mind.
It's a stunningly beautiful, warm, and sunny spring day with lots of bird song, vibrant bright colors, and abundant blooms in these green pastures, hills, and mountains and at least for today I feel blessed to call this beautiful state home. I want to hold on to that feeling.
Bravo. The political commentary really doesn't have anything to do with the OP's original question about a sense of community.

Old 05-07-2023, 04:01 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Based on 2020 election polls, that was my indication that Franklin County was split pretty close to half and half, though I do understand that doesn't paint the whole picture. I live in St. A, but when I drive around areas like Highgate and Sheldon hardline conservatives most certainly make their presence well known. Drive past the gun shop in Highgate on 207 and it's stated pretty loud and clear with the vulgar/expletive anti Biden flag waving in the air. And well that's their 1st amendment right so there's that. Anyway, I'm gonna pipe down on political commentary for a while and for my own peace of mind.

I cannot disagree with your feelings about today. I did gardening work, planted a couple of raspberry canes, started hardening of my veggie seedlings and am looking forward to a long, beautiful summer.
Politics was the last thing on my mind today. i was happy to be in the warm sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont