Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 04:20 PM

9,469 posts, read 5,245,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! I have about seven generations of ancestors like that. It might help explain why Vermont is so rocky and cantankerous.
They can be a cantakerous bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 04:34 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I totally get your drift, Champ!

I love Montreal, and have lived there all my life except a few bits in Vancouver and Dublin.
I now live closer to Vermont in suburban Chambly, and am happy just going to the coty on my terms, once a week to drive my wife to work. I take a long stroll with my dog for a couple hours, and get my fill of sights. Then, coming back to a quiet town on the lake is something I treasure more than the excitement of urban life.

Yes, the drive to Vermont is flat as heck, unless you are headed on highway 10, towards the townships, where it becomes progressively more hilly.

I also love living here because it is closer to Vermont!!!
I've actually been tempted to get off the highway in Chambly and look around, but I haven't yet. Sometimes I stop in St Jean sur Richaleau before crossing the border. I've always been a bit curious about Mont Ste Hilaire, it's such a monolith of a mountain sitting on its own and rising sharply above the plain. You can see it on a clear day viewed from St.Albans, VT coming up I-89. I've enjoyed exploring the Townships, they're lovely and have gone skiing up there (it's much cheaper than skiing Vermont).

I think next time I go up, I'll ride the new REM line in from Brossard. It's a nice option to park & ride before crossing the bridge and not have to find parking in the city.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:10 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I've actually been tempted to get off the highway in Chambly and look around, but I haven't yet. Sometimes I stop in St Jean sur Richaleau before crossing the border. I've always been a bit curious about Mont Ste Hilaire, it's such a monolith of a mountain sitting on its own and rising sharply above the plain. You can see it on a clear day viewed from St.Albans, VT coming up I-89. I've enjoyed exploring the Townships, they're lovely and have gone skiing up there (it's much cheaper than skiing Vermont).

I think next time I go up, I'll ride the new REM line in from Brossard. It's a nice option to park & ride before crossing the bridge and not have to find parking in the city.

I pick up my wife from the REM Panama or Terminus station in Brossard once a week. She works on Viarail passenger trains, so she is gone 3 days a week. The REM has had a lot of problems with stoppages. I hope they iron out the bugs amd that this isn’t something that will cripple the system forever.

Mont St-Hilaire is a cute town. The drive is nice on the chemin des patriotes, older architecture there as opposed to up the hill which is more modern. Across the river from Mont St-Hilaire, there is the town of Beloeil (Nice eye) lol. It is cute too. In the summer, there is ample room to lounge on the water’s edge and take in the view from the other side. Both towns have big Catholic churches facing each other. Quite a lot of eateries and pubs on the Beloeil side. St Jean is bigger, and quite a bit rougher around the edges. It lost a lot of industry over the years, and the poverty is palpable.

Mont St-Hilaire is one of five mountains (hills really) that make up the Monteregian hills. Mount Royal is one of them, and they are scattered around the region, Northwest and Southeast of the island of Montreal. From my house, I can see Mont St-Hilaire, Rougemont, and sometimes, Mont St-Grégoire. There are massive apple orchards on all three. They are strange indeed, sticking up out of nowhere like Hanging Rock in Australia…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont