Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2023, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 95,693 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've got a job lined up in Putney in a couple of months and am looking into potential places to live. We've got 4 kids, so one option that stands out to us is Halifax because it would mean school choice for High School.

My question is what the commute would look like. I realize it's going to be around 40 minutes under the best conditions, but does anyone know to what degree dirt roads would impact this commute in wetter times of the year? And if these roads aren't accessible during these times, what would a completely paved route look like? I'm asking because this has been difficult to discern with incomplete Google Maps data.

Also of note is that my employer will be okay with me working remotely during active storms, so I won't need to worry about travelling during those times.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 08:00 PM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
No, don't pick Halifax just for school choice. There has to be some other reason for moving to Halifax. Don't get me wrong, Halifax is nice but it is way out there. Lots of VT towns have school choice, Marlboro, Athens, Wardsboro, dover, grafton, westminster all offer school choice and are going to be a better ride then out to halifax. Especially in the winter, Also it depends where you are in the town you might be able to live in Ludlow and still have a better ride because it is pretty much highway all the way. Is there some other reason to be in Halifax? Do you have a particular school system you want to be in?

It has been years since I visited Halifax but I seem to recall the main street, if you could call it that, was dirt. I do not recall many or any paved roads in Halifax proper. Maybe someone else can comment.

In Vermont we travel on dirt roads alot. I love them but in mud season you may have a slow ride, in snow storms they are not the first to be plowed or sanded. Your car will suffer from rust and suspension abuse.

Check internet access.
Check cell coverage. I live in Newfane a thriving metropolis compared to Halifax. I can't get cell service at my house.

I'd say if you had to stay off the dirt roads you would catch 112 to jacksonville, then 100 to rt9 brattleboro. Not sure how much longer that would be but you are climbing up the mountian and than sliding down to brattleboro. I used to live in wilmington and commuted to brattleboro everyday. In the winter time rt9 can be an interesting ride....

Old 07-13-2023, 08:07 PM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
Also, consider how your kids are getting to the school of your choice. It may be a long way away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont