Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 06:35 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

I would not ordinarily post this but a friend and I met this dog last year camping at Green River Reservoir. Oscar lives very close by and walks the area inside GRR park. He is friendly, well loved and cared for, and had tags with his owners' info. I even called his DogMom to tell her he was with us on our walk. If anyone sees anything or knows anything please contact the authorities or the numbers listed in this FB post. Based on what I know, he is not lost. He has been stolen.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00095011922404

Old 08-28-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I would not ordinarily post this but a friend and I met this dog last year camping at Green River Reservoir. Oscar lives very close by and walks the area inside GRR park. He is friendly, well loved and cared for, and had tags with his owners' info. I even called his DogMom to tell her he was with us on our walk. If anyone sees anything or knows anything please contact the authorities or the numbers listed in this FB post. Based on what I know, he is not lost. He has been stolen.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00095011922404
Amending my post.....based on info posted in the comments on FB, it appears the women seen with this dog were trying to figure out who he belonged to. Details are wobbly. Unclear if they removed an AirTag or if the AirTag fell or broke off the dog's collar. They even contacted the attendant at Green River Reservoir state park but it sounds like that person was not much help. Doesn't really account for what I think is sheer stupidity.....why would you not bring the dog to a local law enforcement station?? or a vet? anyway, my point is, he may not be 'stolen.' But Oscar IS still missing and the family has contacted a DogFinders organization in CT. The women with the dog were driving a blue sedan with CT plates.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:07 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Thanks for sharing. I hope the more benign interpretation is correct.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:28 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
As I remember, Vermont does not have any laws that dogs have to be "under control." If the state was still primarily agricultural, those would have been in place.

I have a really hard time calling the efforts of the two women "sheer stupidity." Bungling, perhaps, but well-meaning.

What I have a difficult time refraining from calling "sheer stupidity" is the idea of allowing a dog loose off personal property. Whether or not a dog is a "nice" dog that wouldn't hurt a fly, there is legal responsibility if there is a bite, an unaccompanied dog might contract rabies without anyone knowing, it might join up in a pack and worry deer or cattle, it might be killed by a coyote, or it might get stolen.

To drive the point home, any farmer has the legal right to shoot a dog that is worrying livestock. A common way that happens is SSS - shoot, shovel, shut-up. That avoids ill feelings and court battles from outraged poor pet "parents."

Alabama has laws, and even with those laws in place I know of at least two women mauled TO DEATH by pack dogs. As to be expected, the owners attempted to deny responsibility and claim their dogs wouldn't hurt a fly.

If these irresponsible owners get their dog back, hopefully they will stop letting it roam free.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:47 AM

Most places in VT now have regs about dogs being leashed now. And if not, they are supposed to be under the voice control of the owner. In the 'country' though, all bets are off. Many people let their dogs roam on their property.

The location where this dog lives is very rural and he has apparently always 'wandered.' But he always returned home.

I agree with you that dog owners should not let their animals just wander on their own for the reasons you state.

I also agree that 'bungling' would have been a better characterization of the efforts of the women who have the dog to return him to his owner. The owner acknowledges that they appeared to try to find the owners, but it's hard to explain why the dog has not been located yet and why they may have taken him out of state with them. But no one knows what is now happening with him and there has been no update. His info has been shared throughout VT and into CT and MA. I took my 'shared' post down because I am not so sure now that he was dog-napped. I got swept up in the energy of the internet (a mistake, yes).

I was really hot under the collar about the whole thing - probably because I am a life-long dog owner and can't imagine my Boo going missing - but I don't let him wander, either. I'd also met the missing dog and lost some sleep the first night thinking about him. (smh). Hoping he makes it home!

I hope that he is found safe and returned to his owners and I also hope that they reconsider letting him roam around.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:47 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Something doesn't add up or there are more than two bungling parties involved. Was the dog microchipped? The least a dog owner who lets their dog wander like that should do is chip them, not rely on a collar tag that could easily be lost or intentionally removed. By the same token, anyone but the most bungling rescuer should know about microchips by now. If they truly wanted to find the dog's owner they could probably walk into most vet offices, animal shelters, or possibly a police station to gain access to a chip reader. Assuming the chip account/data was kept current (which also requires some intelligence), its info could lead them right to the owner.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-29-2023 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-29-2023, 11:02 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
There is the possibility that only token efforts were made to return the dog to the owner. I don't recall if it was mentioned whether any local shelters had been contacted? Putting myself in the shoes of the two women from CT...

I have a hard time doing that, I just don't work that way. How did the dog get in the car? Was it friendly enough it wanted to go for a ride? Were treats involved? Was it pulled in? I can't think of a scenario that doesn't involve some coercion. It doesn't seem like the dog is in danger, so I'm not likely to be triggered, other than thinking that all involved are not the brightest crayons in the box.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Something doesn't add up or there are more than two bungling parties involved. Was the dog microchipped? The least a dog owner who lets their dog wander like that should do is chip them, not rely on a collar tag that could easily be lost or intentionally removed. By the same token, anyone but the most bungling rescuer should know about microchips by now. If they truly wanted to find the dog's owner they could probably walk into most vet offices, animal shelters, or possibly a police station to gain access to a chip reader. Assuming the chip account/data was kept current (which also requires some intelligence), its info could lead them right to the owner.
The owner never answered the chip question that was posted in the comments on the FB post, so that makes me wonder. I asked if there any updates this morning but no response so far. If they were really going to CT, his info was been posted far and wide so maybe there is a chance he'll be located.
He did have the AirTag that was described as having 'been removed.' Not sure those can break off the collar if a dog is boonie bashing since someone also mentioned that from where the tag was found to the place he usually 'roams' it's not that great a distance for a dog through the woods.
I agree with all you've said. Something does not add up. With a cell phone these days anyone can find a vet, police station or animal shelter. And yet, I'm still thinking about poor Oscar.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There is the possibility that only token efforts were made to return the dog to the owner. I don't recall if it was mentioned whether any local shelters had been contacted? Putting myself in the shoes of the two women from CT...

I have a hard time doing that, I just don't work that way. How did the dog get in the car? Was it friendly enough it wanted to go for a ride? Were treats involved? Was it pulled in? I can't think of a scenario that doesn't involve some coercion. It doesn't seem like the dog is in danger, so I'm not likely to be triggered, other than thinking that all involved are not the brightest crayons in the box.
When my friend and I met the dog last year, he came over to greet us and walked with us through the woods near where we were camping for a good long while. He was super friendly and I don't find it hard to believe he may have jumped in a car. I'd even called the owner, whose number was on the collar, to let her know he was with us. She did not seem overly concerned about him wandering but did ask that I don't give him treats I'd told her I gave him a small piece of cheese.

I also agree, based on comments on FB, that only token efforts were made to return him. VT is a very dog friendly place, as you probably know, and everyone was sharing the info, making suggestions for dog 'rescue' services, etc. If he had been taken to a vet's office or animal shelter, that would have been the end of it, presumably. And it was a weekday. I'll post back if there is a resolution.

Old 09-02-2023, 05:10 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
When my friend and I met the dog last year, he came over to greet us and walked with us through the woods near where we were camping for a good long while. He was super friendly and I don't find it hard to believe he may have jumped in a car. I'd even called the owner, whose number was on the collar, to let her know he was with us. She did not seem overly concerned about him wandering but did ask that I don't give him treats I'd told her I gave him a small piece of cheese.

I also agree, based on comments on FB, that only token efforts were made to return him. VT is a very dog friendly place, as you probably know, and everyone was sharing the info, making suggestions for dog 'rescue' services, etc. If he had been taken to a vet's office or animal shelter, that would have been the end of it, presumably. And it was a weekday. I'll post back if there is a resolution.
Call CT animal shelters - the women could have left the dog there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont