Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 01:00 PM

229 posts, read 316,717 times

Advertisements

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/ma...gunprevalence/

I just found this, without actually looking for it.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what I see in that study. I'm just interested in what you guys on this forum think.
Why do you think there's such a difference between NH, NY and VT? If you look carefully it seems that on this particular issue Vermont is very similar to some southern states hit the worse by this particular "problem"
So what do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 03:48 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I think that no state that far north is anything like the Southern states, in any manner. I was up in Boston once and they were rude beyond belief. You never see that down here. And the three months I was in Belfast, Maine w/ a Yankee girlfriend, people would not talk to you, period. When I mentioned it to someone there they said they didn't talk to them as well. It's just Yep or Nope until you've lived there 10 or 20 years.

Just to check, I called my oldest son who is up in Vermont temporarily for work. He said there were guns of course, but mostly for hunting.

Most folks in the South have them in the house for protection, so we're used to them being around. We have quick tempers (all that Skotch Irish blood) so they stay in the house. The old saying is that a Southerner will be polite right up to the point where they kill you. We'll take it for a while....and then we won't.

In all my years in some very large market research companies, I learned you can make statistics tell people exactly what you want them to. It all depends on how the questions were correlated and how they were asked. Never knew anyone who used a gun to kill themselves, it was usually hard livin, cancer, car wrecks or smoking. Only knew one person in my entire life who killed themselves, and that was w/ a rope, which sounds like a lousy way to do it.

Last edited by stephenMM; 01-10-2024 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-10-2024, 04:01 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I think I'd want outside verification of anything put out by harvard these days.

But the fact is I suspect most suicides here are linked to drugs and drinking problems, and those problems often stem from two underlying problems: lack of economic opportunity and the frequently gloomy weather which can drag many people down.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:41 AM

229 posts, read 316,717 times
"I think that no state that far north is anything like the Southern states,"
I'm not talking about the politics, the landscape, the way people socialize and more or even how religious or not religious they are. I'm talking about the propensity to kill themselves with a gun. If you look at the study VT is the only northern state to have the same amount of deaths as some southern states. That's what I meant. Of course VT doesn't look like Alabama, I got that!

Old 01-11-2024, 07:51 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
This site is utterly obsessed with the south. Just leave those people alone already.

Last edited by allenk893; 01-11-2024 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-11-2024, 08:29 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
It would seem that in terms of gun suicides...

Vermont would have more of the dynamics of the intermountain west. Lots of "rugged individualists" with a lot of guns around the house. The intermountain west states (along with Alaska) lead the nation in guns per capita and also in gun suicides per capita.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:10 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/ma...gunprevalence/

I just found this, without actually looking for it.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what I see in that study. I'm just interested in what you guys on this forum think.
Why do you think there's such a difference between NH, NY and VT? If you look carefully it seems that on this particular issue Vermont is very similar to some southern states hit the worse by this particular "problem"
So what do y'all think?
You OBVIOUSLY did not look at it more than to make an uninformed and inflammatory comment.

Aside from the fact that the two charts attempt (badly) to show correlation - while NOT claiming causation except by inference to those who failed statistics, Vermont isn't even in the top group at issue in the charts. WTH were you thinking??? This is one of the poorest posts I have ever seen you make.

(And for another poster, there are parts of Alabama that do look very much like parts of Vermont. Barn design tends to be different, but the similarities can be striking at times.)

Old 01-11-2024, 10:21 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I think that no state that far north is anything like the Southern states, in any manner. I was up in Boston once and they were rude beyond belief. You never see that down here. And the three months I was in Belfast, Maine w/ a Yankee girlfriend, people would not talk to you, period. When I mentioned it to someone there they said they didn't talk to them as well. It's just Yep or Nope until you've lived there 10 or 20 years.

Just to check, I called my oldest son who is up in Vermont temporarily for work. He said there were guns of course, but mostly for hunting.

Most folks in the South have them in the house for protection, so we're used to them being around. We have quick tempers (all that Skotch Irish blood) so they stay in the house. The old saying is that a Southerner will be polite right up to the point where they kill you. We'll take it for a while....and then we won't.

In all my years in some very large market research companies, I learned you can make statistics tell people exactly what you want them to. It all depends on how the questions were correlated and how they were asked. Never knew anyone who used a gun to kill themselves, it was usually hard livin, cancer, car wrecks or smoking. Only knew one person in my entire life who killed themselves, and that was w/ a rope, which sounds like a lousy way to do it.
Re: 3rd paragraph, I'll take northern rudeness + not being killed over Southern hospitable murder. I'm half-kidding

Old 01-11-2024, 01:12 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This site is utterly obsessed with the south. Just leave those people alone already.
I was thinking the same thing. The site is obsessed with all things Southern. Only I see it from another perspective.

There is an attempt to "Normalize" and "Americanize" the South, and to turn the weirdness of the South that begat Southern Gothic literature into "business as usual".

If you ever spent an eight-month-long winter holed up with an electric blanket, and intermittent, spotty, cell phone service, with stacks of "Yankee" magazines and Stephen King books, suicide may not seem that strange a thought.

Why don't Southerners just brave that 60 degree weather and go to the beach? What's THEIR excuse?

Old 01-11-2024, 02:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 364,885 times
I’m from the west, Colorado , I’m staying out of this……

Next…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont