Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 AM

43 posts, read 139,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Sugarmama, where in the south do you live? Not Florida, right?

no, not florida.

1) i don't consider florida the bible belt
2) there are plenty of jews there!!

we're in weeeest vur-ghin-yaw

there are many nice people here, in fact i have a lifetime friend i met here. happens that her dad is a baptist minister. we agree to disagree.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,120,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmama! View Post
no, not florida.

we're in weeeest vur-ghin-yaw
Well, at least both states have something in common--lack of work...

Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 AM

914 posts, read 2,930,698 times
Gypsy, have you ever considered the West coast? I know it would be far from your family in NY, but actually, it's only a five-hour plane ride away. I was thinking of Oregon. It is similar to Vermont in some ways, but seems to have a better job market, even these days. It is a progressive state but with a rural feel to it, much like Vermont. It's largest city, Portland, is beautiful. My daughter spent some time there and loved it. My cousin is an award-winning architect there, and he lives right in the city, and really likes it. The only drawback for some people is the waether, but since you are coming from a harsher climate (more snow) that shouldn't bother you too much! And if you want warmer/sunnier weather, southern Oregon has a lot going for it. Medford is a decent sized city and has seen a lot of growth in the past decade or so. I think it would be worth considering for you and your family, and it's a state that you wouldn't feel you were giving up the natural beauty, four seasons, and the other positives of Vermont. Also, it has a kinder tax structure. No sales tax, and I don't think it has state income tax either, but I'm not sure. Yet, I think the public school system is pretty good, but that probably varies depending on the county/city you live in.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM

My family never visits anyhow. Apparently 7 hours by car is too far, but they can fly to Fl. to visit my brother...whatever...

I am mainly concerned how moving (again) will impact our son who is nearly 11 and has mild aspergers syndrome.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,287,927 times
Quote:
My family never visits anyhow. Apparently 7 hours by car is too far, but they can fly to Fl. to visit my brother...whatever...

I am mainly concerned how moving (again) will impact our son who is nearly 11 and has mild aspergers syndrome.
Unfortunately, in some families if you are born with external genitalia, distance doesn't matter....my mother will not travel 40 minutes from Lake George to see me but would climb over the Green Mountains and swim down the Hudson River and across the Long Island Sound to see her son. I think its an Italian thing. I should start a thread in the relationship section about this but it would probably go on for years.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Unfortunately, in some families if you are born with external genitalia, distance doesn't matter....my mother will not travel 40 minutes from Lake George to see me but would climb over the Green Mountains and swim down the Hudson River and across the Long Island Sound to see her son. I think its an Italian thing. I should start a thread in the relationship section about this but it would probably go on for years.
Oh, yes, you are so right!! Except it works the same for my sister--I think I just have middle child syndrome...lol...

Dare to be different....

Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 AM

19 posts, read 44,537 times
Quote:
You know the temptation to move south is nice (warmer) but that Bible Belt mentality drives me mad. I have nothing against church folks--good for them--but at least up here no one cares what religion you are or if you go to church or if you worship a tree or the stars.

That mentality is mostly only in certain parts.. Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi etc. Its mostly the extreme Southern Baptists. The coastal regions and father south do not have that mentality. Common misconception

Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 PM

319 posts, read 966,155 times
Default vt.to ak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Alaska.
i wouldnt do that if i were u.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:24 PM

319 posts, read 966,155 times
Default exit vt

lets see.....west coast....isnt that going to fall into the ocean?there are things i liked and disliked about every state city & town i ever lived in or visited.and ive seen lots of em.but i do love the nw.oragon,wa,bc,the forest are great.i enjoy the weather.u can live up in the mt.s and in the snow.or move closer to the coast to a milder winter.50mi makes a big diffrence in the elevation.never have i seen so much wild life as wa.except ak.i have relations in silver view bc.big big trees there . we live on a moose migration trail.thier in our backyard all the time.we plant food in the garden for them.so many get hit by cars every yr.its sad. we enjoy it in the spring when they rest in our yard with thier young.ya just want to hug um.people & dogs have been stomped to death by them rite in anch.so ya got to watch out for moose too.i liked florida.but the law....tx was ok....miss the trees....liked srimping out of galviston it was ok.nyc to crowded....nova scotia....to proper....az.now it was ok.hiking in the superstiscious mts.now that was fun .we left the water in the truck just for the hell of it.we didnt try that again.cal.too fast for me thats were i got my labotomy.it was the thing at the time..give me a break will ya.remember home is were u make it.and what u make it.

Last edited by unconscious; 03-08-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: guess

Old 03-08-2009, 06:53 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,514,345 times
Well, California has wildfires, earthquakes and landslides. The midwwest and south have tornadoes. The Pacific Northwest is very rainy and it has volcanoes. And it is also due for a major rupture of the Cascadia fault, which lies just offshore. When that happens there will be a huge earthquake, and there will be a tsunami with little warning. The Memphis area has the New Madrid fault system, which is due for another quake. Last time, in 1812, the quakes made the Mississippi River flow backwards. New York City is too crowded. Alaska is dark all winter and I think it has the highest rape rate in the country.

There are lots of places I haven't seen, but so far, I kind of like living in Vermont. I don't think too many bad things happen here. Of course, if there is a radiation disaster at the Vermont Yankee nuke plant, I'll have to revise that statement. Assumng I'm still alive to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont