Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:21 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,723 times

Advertisements

Perspective is a remarkable thing, which can change dramatically over time. I've lived in New England my entire life, Vermont for 26 years. I don't do winter sports anymore, and my activities of boating and golf are my favorites now. There's no need to trash one place to justify another, everyplace has downsides, just as people have preferences.

I prefer coastal living, thus I have no desire to migrate to the inland areas that many northerners tend to move to in Florida due to costs. I've been lucky enough to have a great job in Vermont for well over 20 years. If not for that, the costs would have driven me elsewhere years ago. I've been in Florida many times, usually from Jupiter area up to the Space Center areas. I've also taken the time to have a week or so of driving through Florida around areas during the summer and fall months, not as a tourist, but a prospective resident. After driving the Vermont Interstate for almost 30 years, I wouldn't miss it at all.

But everyone's different, and sometimes a change is good. But you have to be ready for it. My GF is from Florida, and knows full well the differences, the pros and cons of both areas. To harp on the worst aspects of each place is futile. You just have to decide which ones are deal breakers. If you cannot live in heat and humidity, the choice is obvious. If you like nice, long summers, and detest cold, snowy months, followed by somewhat spring and a short summer, likewise, obvious choice. Some are lucky enough to have two places, and bound back and forth. (We spent July 4th week in Florida, mostly beautiful, it rained in Vermont).

I feel trapped indoors from November through April here in Vermont, and always hope I can spend weekends on the boat in the summer. Last summer was so short, it barely came at all (: So that's my preference, and know full well the differences, the pitfalls, and the bonuses of each. Vermont has many drawbacks, like everywhere else. It's too easy to paint a beautiful picture of anywhere and list only the bright side. But when you live there, you have bought into all of it, not just the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 AM

3 posts, read 8,280 times
what problems do you speak of in Vermont?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,902 times
Default re:vtsteve

I agree with VtSteve. Where you live and how much you like it depends on what you are looking for in a location. I currently live in New Smyrna Beach, Florida and would love to move to Vermont. In fact, if someone would buy my house I would be there in a heartbeat. Florida is not a bad place to live depending on what you are looking for in a state. It is entirely too hot during the summer for me (and I spent several of my younger years lifegaurding on the beach). The winters are better especially if you enjoy outdoor things. I like the ability to run, bike or ride my horse in the winter. There are a large number of transient people, snow birds, and florida crackers here so it feels very unstable for me. I spent my childhood in Ga and though the climate isn't much different there, the people are different. There are some odd politics and attitudes in general here. I'm seeking out that "live and let live" attitude that I hear exists in Vermont. It is not here.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
As a long time Florida resident who has lived in other states, what bugs me the most is the lack of any kind of normalcy. 70% of the days over 80 degrees? Normal-for Florida. Six months of hurricane season? Normal-for Florida. High, unmanageable crime and traffic? Normal-for Florida. Corrupt politicians? Normal-for Florida. A total lack of community and connectivity? Normal-for Florida.
This is comparable to saying that anti-social, schizophrenic behavior is normal-in a mental institution.
I know other states have a myriad of problems-many unique, but Florida has become the ultimate freak show, and not in the funny, endearing sideshow way. To me, Florida has a hidden (and a not so hidden) evil stench to it.
Vermont may have a long winter, but it has many, many other things going for itself. And a never-ending summer is WAY overrated.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:15 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymandi View Post
I agree with VtSteve. Where you live and how much you like it depends on what you are looking for in a location. I currently live in New Smyrna Beach, Florida and would love to move to Vermont. In fact, if someone would buy my house I would be there in a heartbeat. Florida is not a bad place to live depending on what you are looking for in a state. It is entirely too hot during the summer for me (and I spent several of my younger years lifegaurding on the beach). The winters are better especially if you enjoy outdoor things. I like the ability to run, bike or ride my horse in the winter. There are a large number of transient people, snow birds, and florida crackers here so it feels very unstable for me. I spent my childhood in Ga and though the climate isn't much different there, the people are different. There are some odd politics and attitudes in general here. I'm seeking out that "live and let live" attitude that I hear exists in Vermont. It is not here.
I think climate wise and tax wise you might be in for a shock,least sunhine thruout year,like above poster has stated.Yes Florida is hot and steamy and Vermont long cloudy cold winters.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,902 times
Default re:DanBev

DanBev, you are right. My wife and I both will be in for a shock with regard to climate and taxes. There will be a lot of things to adjust to when we move... I've visited to ski in the past and we spent a few weeks in northwestern Vermont this winter. It was an adjustment, dealing with the snow and cold, but we still managed to enjoy ourselves. We will also be up there end of March/beginning of April to look around some more. I'm open to any other thoughts or suggestions about moving as I want to know what to expect. Thanks for the imput!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Not on your subject but we bought home in Vernon Ct to be near family and following Ct weather,not much sun,hardly above 32 since early January and teens at night along with high taxes,702 sq ft $3700 we are having second thoughts.Our taxes in north florida $0.Might be part time resident in Ct.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
As someone who has lived in N.H. for 47 years and in florida for almost nine years i know that for me it was much easier to deal with the winter months up there than the warmer months down here. The key is "enjoying" wintertime activities. If you can do that than you have the different seasons to enjoy. There's nothing better than having 4 different seasons. After the "luster" wears off down here its just the same ole, same ole. I can understand why it's so popular with retirees. I'm headed back.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Bingo.

I was born and raised in Massachusetts. Lived in Florida for 10 years.

What a complete freak show. I never saw anything like it.

Think about it. When they publish the lists of "Most Stupid Criminals" most of the crimes were committed in Florida. Lots of "Cops" and "The First 48" (it's a true-life homicide show) episodes are filmed in Florida.

It's the kind of places where you can live in a gated community but the little old lady next door will get busted for running some scam and the guy down the road is a drug lord.

Funny from a distance, not so much when these folks are your neighbors.

No one trusts anyone else. It takes an act of God to cash or write a check, no matter how old or respectable you look. Refer to paragraph 5.

Your neighbors are there for months, then disappear. No one waves. Little to no manners.

When our child reached school age, it was time to get out.

And I'll tell you what, that heat is brutal. And it never ends. My dad is retired and lives there. He hates it but it will be years before he unloads that condo.

I'll tell you what. Anyone that wants to buy down there, they will kiss your feet. Before the ink is dry on the contract, you will see the seller's dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
As a long time Florida resident who has lived in other states, what bugs me the most is the lack of any kind of normalcy. 70% of the days over 80 degrees? Normal-for Florida. Six months of hurricane season? Normal-for Florida. High, unmanageable crime and traffic? Normal-for Florida. Corrupt politicians? Normal-for Florida. A total lack of community and connectivity? Normal-for Florida.
This is comparable to saying that anti-social, schizophrenic behavior is normal-in a mental institution.
I know other states have a myriad of problems-many unique, but Florida has become the ultimate freak show, and not in the funny, endearing sideshow way. To me, Florida has a hidden (and a not so hidden) evil stench to it.
Vermont may have a long winter, but it has many, many other things going for itself. And a never-ending summer is WAY overrated.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,723 times
It certainly seems like it's easier for Floridians to tell it like it is from their perspective than Vermonters

Obviously when you're in a state with 600,000 people or so it's quite a bit different. Some of the differences are good for some people, not others. I've lived in Connecticut, Mass and Vermont, and spent a great deal of time in Florida as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont