Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 PM

274 posts, read 674,454 times

Advertisements

Not trying to antagonize here. Just wondering what the intent is to come to this forum if you only have negative things to say (especially if you don't even live in VT anymore). Is it because you are still hopeful things will change to the way you'd like them to be? Is it because you feel it is your reponsibility to project the negative things? Seriously, I am really interested in this. I'm new to the state so I come here for info, but I don't post on the NH board to talk about what I hated there. Do you think I am doing a disservice to people looking to move to NH by not posting my opinion there?

p.s. didn't really "hate" NH. Just saw more opportunity here to raise my kids the way I was raised.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,985,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
Not trying to antagonize here. Just wondering what the intent is to come to this forum if you only have negative things to say (especially if you don't even live in VT anymore). Is it because you are still hopeful things will change to the way you'd like them to be? Is it because you feel it is your reponsibility to project the negative things? Seriously, I am really interested in this. I'm new to the state so I come here for info, but I don't post on the NH board to talk about what I hated there. Do you think I am doing a disservice to people looking to move to NH by not posting my opinion there?

p.s. didn't really "hate" NH. Just saw more opportunity here to raise my kids the way I was raised.

People come to these forums for a lot of different reasons.
I lived in Vermont and really miss certain aspects of it. I
always check in this forum as I do all the places Ive lived.
I have/can/will provide useful unbiased information if I can.
Just because you dont live here doesnt make someones posts
less worthy. I also read the Rutland Herald once or twice a
week to put it in perspective. One thing that I dont think is
useful are the rabid cheerleaders some forums have. If you
post anything negative they gang up on you and tell you to move
or "its a you problem". If someone is researching a move, a well
written negative type post is going to be more useful than five
or six angry little kid posts telling the poster what a loser they are.
If you have useful NH info, you should post it if it hasnt been covered

Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 PM

894 posts, read 1,561,469 times
Without those folks these forums aren't useful for the purpose most people assume they are for.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,532,906 times
Cause I'm a VT'er (whose family took part in the fight for independence here in the 1700's). Cause I live here. And cause I can.

But seriously, I'm not down on Vermont, I'm down on the government and people who have done so much damage to it and have driven away so many good people. The state itself is beautiful, but some people have made a mess of things politically, economically, environmentally (that may shock some but it's the truth in my opinion) and financially. Furthermore, if people who comment on this don't do so, people interested in moving here in pursuit of some sort of dream may not know about some of the harsh realities of how it is to live here, until they find out the hard way and possibly lose all their money. Jump up to the Alaska forum if you think it's bad here to people discussing moving here (but then there aren't many people looking to become rich fishing in VT based on a TV show), but again, it's telling the reality of things so people know the cold hard truth about the downsides to a place and not just the nice things. When I eventually do leave VT there's things I'll miss. The politics (except our small but growing secession movement) and taxes are not things I'll miss.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 PM

23,616 posts, read 70,539,170 times
You should look at the Florida forums sometime if you want to see negativism. When people leave a state with cause, there are bound to be feelings, and expressing those can give a sense of closure for some folks.

I'm not "down" on Vermont. The state has some good things going for it. It also has some negatives, and my glasses are not rose colored. I tell it like I see it. Due to issues with how my body reacted to cold and lack of sun, staying north wasn't a good option for me. Ask me about the sun in Vermont, and I might seem negative. A couple solid months without a patch of blue sky can do that to me.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You should look at the Florida forums sometime if you want to see negativism.

The Florida forum was exactly the one I was alluding to in my
previous post. The cheerleaders are out-and-out mean and
vitriolic. Ironically though, the nastiness that goes on in the
Florida forum is a pretty good indicator of the mindset in
quite a few places, so it does serve some purpose.
Ive lived in so many places and moving again so I go through
periods of not looking at CD to going on it daily. The vermont
forum is one of the more saner, fair representations on CD.
A comment on its population

Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,433,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
If someone is researching a move, a well
written negative type post is going to be more useful than five
or six angry little kid posts telling the poster what a loser they are.
I think this is part of the problem. Most of the negative posts have very little substance. Vermont is not perfect (as if any place else is) and potential new residents deserve honest answers to their questions. However, it's one thing if someone makes a comment that is relevant, insightful, and well thought out, even if it is negative; but, when the poster comes across as bitter, whiny, and childish, what are they really contributing to the dialog? Their comments end up just sounding...well...bitter, whiny, and childish. And, honestly, who listens to those kinds of people?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM

894 posts, read 1,561,469 times
Some of the cheerleaders are less than honest. VT has serious employment/COL issues. To deny that is dishonest. Sure is pretty though.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I think this is part of the problem. Most of the negative posts have very little substance. Vermont is not perfect (as if any place else is) and potential new residents deserve honest answers to their questions. However, it's one thing if someone makes a comment that is relevant, insightful, and well thought out, even if it is negative; but, when the poster comes across as bitter, whiny, and childish, what are they really contributing to the dialog? Their comments end up just sounding...well...bitter, whiny, and childish. And, honestly, who listens to those kinds of people?
Yes, I understand what you are saying.
When someone posts a " _ _ _ _ _ _ S * C K S" post, I
would only hope anyone would know it's a little kid and to not
waste time reading it, but when you post something relevant about
jobs, economy or crime and 5 people actually take time to post:
"move if you dont like it",
I almost wish CD would delete that stuff to spare people of it.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,433,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Yes, I understand what you are saying.
When someone posts a " _ _ _ _ _ _ S * C K S" post, I
would only hope anyone would know it's a little kid and to not
waste time reading it
Well, I wasn't actually referring to anything being, literally, written by children. I think some people just get wound up, maybe even angry, about certain issues and then they don't consider how they present the argument they are hoping to make. Instead, they just argue. There's a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont