Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 AM

387 posts, read 988,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
AAA, Fodors and other travel publications consider VA "Mid Atlantic" so I guess
the Southern image of VA is fading away.
What is so great about the southern image fading? You can be southern and progressive (ex. Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta). VA southern was never the same as the "redneck" stereotypes of the south. I think VA should hang on to some of the unique southern culture such as the foods (Smithfield ham, etc), accents (many native accents such as tidewater have basically already faded), architecture, etc, but continue to become more progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,599,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolkhr View Post
Kreutz, I think what you mean is mid-atlantic. "Mid-South" would be the middle of the South, but I get what you're trying to
Yeah, my mistake.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM

149 posts, read 261,495 times
va is the south but its a water down south. in the 757 there are too many military but if u talk to someone from virginia u will hear a southern accent. its like a mix between alabama and nyc. i mean some part are southern others arent. i mean it varies from neighbor to neighbor. there seems to be 2 main accents the black one and the white one. the white one is either country redneckish or no accent at all. the black one is either a fake new york accent where people will say son (new york slang) and man (the southern way) in the same sentence. the other is the real virginian black accent where the blacks talk real fast, chopped up and sound southern. the other is a mix of all. the military too affect it, but very few old virginia sound anything but southern, the young people are varied and now because of southern domination of rap they are definitly sound more rap whereas when nyc dominated rap there was a lot of nyc slang in the speech. 1st in blacks but it always spills over. u even have whites and blacks that sound both white and black at the same time. virginia is weird like that. 757 is probably along mid-altantic/south at the same time but its more south especially in areas that have more natives.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM

13 posts, read 48,927 times
Fake New York? Nah i think its just a mixures of cultures coming out considering VA's geogaphical location

Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 PM

387 posts, read 988,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
va is the south but its a water down south. in the 757 there are too many military but if u talk to someone from virginia u will hear a southern accent. its like a mix between alabama and nyc. i mean some part are southern others arent. i mean it varies from neighbor to neighbor. there seems to be 2 main accents the black one and the white one. the white one is either country redneckish or no accent at all. the black one is either a fake new york accent where people will say son (new york slang) and man (the southern way) in the same sentence. the other is the real virginian black accent where the blacks talk real fast, chopped up and sound southern. the other is a mix of all. the military too affect it, but very few old virginia sound anything but southern, the young people are varied and now because of southern domination of rap they are definitly sound more rap whereas when nyc dominated rap there was a lot of nyc slang in the speech. 1st in blacks but it always spills over. u even have whites and blacks that sound both white and black at the same time. virginia is weird like that. 757 is probably along mid-altantic/south at the same time but its more south especially in areas tha more natives.
That is very true for the 7 cities area of Virginia, however Richmond is different. The 757 accent is a mixture for many people. Also people from the counties of the 757 sound completely southern on many occasions whether they are black or white. Richmond area blacks don't really have the fake NY accent that you describe on most occasions. I would describe there accent as sounding more like Memphis, or Carolina mixed with a little bit of DC but sounding more southern for many people. Many people say aboat for about hoase for house. Here sounds like heyuh, and there sounds like theyuh. The most frequently used word from many AA's in the 804 area is mane and shawty even from the older residents, and you don't hear son much. Many people in southwest, and southside VA have strong accents and sound like some people in Tennessee and North Carolina.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:48 AM

290 posts, read 638,030 times
Smile Is virginia southern?

It sure is where I live...

Southwestern Virginia...Blue Ridge Mountains...Floyd County...

Old 02-12-2011, 08:17 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,287,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia farm girl View Post
It sure is where I live...

Southwestern Virginia...Blue Ridge Mountains...Floyd County...
Even though I'm checking out Utah for a possible relocation, I keep coming back to the VA forum. I loved Floyd County when I visited VA a few years ago. It's so drop-dead gorgeous and the weather seems to be much more comfortable that where I live. So, how southern is it and just what does that mean to you? I love rural and the simple things in life. I'm not southern, but I've lived in a southern state (TX) for 32 years now.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 AM

68 posts, read 242,205 times
I don't think there will ever be a unified classification of Virginia being southern or not anytime soon. You have people like Virginia Farm Girl from Southwestern Virginia near the mountains and closer to southern states declaring us the south, and then you have people from Northen Virginia near D.C and Hampton Roads 7 cities saying the opposite. Not that it really matters, but unless we agree that Virginia pulls from the south and the north to make this a mid-atlantic state, or agree that this is a state full of diversity as a whole that may not necessarily be seen in your neck of the woods, then the debate will continue on. Either way, I love it here, wherever here is.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 54,605 times
Virginia is a Southern State, if you don't like that fact, then please just leave our history and live somewhere else!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 AM

68 posts, read 242,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacrsteve View Post
Virginia is a Southern State, if you don't like that fact, then please just leave our history and live somewhere else!
That's just it, history! People could use the argument that Richmond was the capital of the confederacy, but that was hundreds of years ago and times change. Sure history will remain the same because that's just what it is, history, but people like you telling others to get out the state because we don't agree with you proves to those sterotypes that "we don't like outsiders," and is the total opposite of "southern hospitality," if there's even such a thing.

I'm not saying that VA is either southern or not, but will say that I do think your opinion will change depending upon which region your in (like I stated in my post above, using Virginia Farm Girl as an example.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia