Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 05:07 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad1320 View Post
Recent laws passed...

In state tuition for illegal immigrants.
Elimination of voter ID requirement.
More laws in support of abortion including late / full term. Literally stated a mother should have the choice to keep a delivered baby.
Numerous gun control laws.

Agree or not, those are pretty left leaning laws. And those are the ones that passed.

All I can find on tuition is "In April 2014, Virginia's attorney general started granting in-state tuition to those covered under the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. ". Students classified under DACA are not considered illegals at this time. https://www.ncsl.org/research/educat...-overview.aspx

Per the states election site proof of who you are is required, however they have expanded the options for those without an ID. Use of Bills or other correspondence is acceptable proof of residence at the DMV.
https://www.elections.virginia.gov/r...ote/index.html

The laws on abortion had most of the draconian measures removed allowing a free choice for those that want it . The late term choice is extremely restricted with a life or death possibility being in the mix, 3 physicians must agree its the right choice https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...ection18.2-74/

2A laws were implemented but do not prevent a person from legally owning a gun but like the above topic I am sure can be argued over depending which side you fall on ..

Left leaning/right leaning why can't a passed law just be the right thing regardless of which side originated it? Everyone is free to believe what they choose but at least go to the legitimate sites for the facts, in almost all these items there were "Look what they did to us!" articles with inflammatory rhetoric and very little facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 07:04 AM

158 posts, read 128,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
All I can find on tuition is "In April 2014, Virginia's attorney general started granting in-state tuition to those covered under the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. ". Students classified under DACA are not considered illegals at this time. https://www.ncsl.org/research/educat...-overview.aspx

Per the states election site proof of who you are is required, however they have expanded the options for those without an ID. Use of Bills or other correspondence is acceptable proof of residence at the DMV.
https://www.elections.virginia.gov/r...ote/index.html

The laws on abortion had most of the draconian measures removed allowing a free choice for those that want it . The late term choice is extremely restricted with a life or death possibility being in the mix, 3 physicians must agree its the right choice https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...ection18.2-74/

2A laws were implemented but do not prevent a person from legally owning a gun but like the above topic I am sure can be argued over depending which side you fall on ..

Left leaning/right leaning why can't a passed law just be the right thing regardless of which side originated it? Everyone is free to believe what they choose but at least go to the legitimate sites for the facts, in almost all these items there were "Look what they did to us!" articles with inflammatory rhetoric and very little facts.
The same article regarding tuition shows the opposite side as well. The final outcome is we are subsidizing non citizens and rewarding breaking the law.

An electrical bill or student ID does not confirm anything and are easily worked around. Why is it so difficult to get a government issued ID? Are you saying there is a group who can't find their DMV?

"Draconian" is a matter of opinion. Maybe it should be more difficult to snuff out a life than, I don't know...Oh getting a government photo ID.

The simple fact I was making are the laws that were passed would be viewed as part of the Dem platform. Pro Choice, Pro Illegal Immigration, anti 2A. I don't think anything put forth by the current Gov and the party in charge can be viewed differently. The OP asked where politics in VA is heading. The truth is left. The argument is only how fast.

This is the same argument in any state that is being resettled my people fleeing the Northeast and West Coast. Why people would flee NY only to vote the same way in say, NC and then wonder why similar laws and taxes are resulting is beyond me but that's a subject for another place and time.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:19 AM

158 posts, read 128,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
In order to qualify for instate tuition, the illegal immigrants must meet three criteria: they must have attended high school for at least two years in the Commonwealth and either graduated or passed a high school equivalency examination on or after July 1, 2008; they must have prove that they or if a dependent at least one parent or legal guardian has filed Virginia income tax returns for at least two years prior to the date of registration/enrollment and they must register as an entering student or already be enrolled in a public institution of higher education in Virginia.

Virginia's voter ID law was designed to discourage voting in a state with a history of voting discrimination. It adversely affected the elderly, the disabled with mobility issues and it cost money to get. With Covid, there is another layer of difficulty. Most DMV's in VA are still not open. There is no way to get an ID. People in central VA are having to wait for two months to get to a DMV and then they are being sent to South Boston. No disabled person is going to be able to get from Goochland to South Boston without it being an overnight trip. There are somethings a person must do to vote without one however.

As I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong, VA still has restrictions on abortions: Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange under ACA only can cover abortion in cases of life endangerment, or in cases of rape or incest. For state employees its only covered in cases of life endangerment, rape, incest or fetal impairment. A minor's parent must be consent to any abortion and an abortion in the last trimester may only be performed when the mother's life is in danger.
I speak about the others below but I want to focus on the ID. Why is it that affluent white democrats believe someone cannot get a government issued ID if they are legal citizens? Do you really think people are too poor, too infirmed or not bright enough to get an ID they need for opening a checking account, buying alcohol, using a debit card, driving, and 100's of other things. I agree, current conditions are difficult but that's only the last year.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:35 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad1320 View Post
The same article regarding tuition shows the opposite side as well. The final outcome is we are subsidizing non citizens and rewarding breaking the law.

An electrical bill or student ID does not confirm anything and are easily worked around. Why is it so difficult to get a government issued ID? Are you saying there is a group who can't find their DMV?

"Draconian" is a matter of opinion. Maybe it should be more difficult to snuff out a life than, I don't know...Oh getting a government photo ID.

The simple fact I was making are the laws that were passed would be viewed as part of the Dem platform. Pro Choice, Pro Illegal Immigration, anti 2A. I don't think anything put forth by the current Gov and the party in charge can be viewed differently. The OP asked where politics in VA is heading. The truth is left. The argument is only how fast.

This is the same argument in any state that is being resettled my people fleeing the Northeast and West Coast. Why people would flee NY only to vote the same way in say, NC and then wonder why similar laws and taxes are resulting is beyond me but that's a subject for another place and time.
I can see your point but one should look at the actual legislation, just as draconian "is a matter of opinion" as you stated the actual items do not prevent gun ownership or open the door for late term options on demand as you wrote it.

Why does everyone think that people have to comply with everything when they relocate? Many people are moved because their job requires it not some personal choice to swat mosquitoes 8 months of the year. Even if they are making the choice to move the status quo of any area has no guarantee of staying static with or without these transplants. I don't know any transplant (who get branded for life ) who have complained over taxes because more often than not they voted for them because the money is earmarked for what matters to them.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:34 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
There are many people who still don't have picture ID's or even birth certificates in VA. Birth certificates as we know them did not come into widespread use until WW2 and even then it was such a mess that it wasn't until 1946 that the National Office of Vital Statistics took over birth certificates to set up a uniform system nationally, but their system isn't complete prior to 1960 since it took that long to get states to comply. A person born before then can have a Medicare card and a SS card and an old expired driver's license with no picture. I know, my aunt who recently died at 98 was one of them. Her last driver's license was issued years ago without a picture. We use to tease our grandmother who did not have a birth certificate, telling her that she was hatched.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:13 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
News article on point: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=uxbndlbing

Quote:
...Demographic shifts that already helped Democrats in Northern Virginia have now spread to suburbs around Richmond and Hampton Roads. And a split between hard-line conservatives and center-right voters hampers the GOP’s ability to compete.

Virginia has become a safely blue state,” said David Wasserman, House editor of the Cook Political Report. “The Republican collapse in the western Richmond suburbs is breathtaking..."

...Virginia’s political transformation began in the Northern Virginia suburbs as they became more racially diverse and attracted more professional and white-collar workers who leaned Democratic. Now those same trends have emerged in suburbs downstate and are turning the Richmond and Hampton Roads metro areas blue.

“There’s a demographic shift,” Virginia political commentator Bob Holsworth said. “Trump campaigns as if the suburbs are filled with Ozzies and Harriets, and they’re not anymore. They’re extraordinarily diverse...”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia