Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 07:15 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,639,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter1162 View Post
What? I live in the inner suburbs and would know better than you.

I find only the young people/liberals like NoVa and would like to strengthen the connections there. The rest of us don't want anything to do with it. And the Richmond metro area is more conservative than NoVa as a whole.
Most people talk and think like adults. They don't think about concepts and ideas in simplistic extremes like you or others that spout things on the internet where there are no repercussions and you can ignore contrary information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 11:07 AM

32 posts, read 16,251 times
It would not be OK for DC to annex tax payers and businesses (essentially) to fund all their social programs and issues, which would truly be taxation without representation.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:12 PM

73,129 posts, read 62,969,043 times
If Alexandria and Arlington were annexed back into DC, those suburban residents would just go to other NoVa suburbs. DC casts a large influence over Northern Virginia. DC taking back Alexandria and Arlington will not change that. It is what it is.

In fact, DC even casts a shadow into West Virginia. The richest county in West Virginia is Jefferson County, literally on the border with Loudoun County, VA.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:19 AM

4,285 posts, read 2,591,117 times
Quote:
What? I live in the inner suburbs and would know better than you.

I find only the young people/liberals like NoVa and would like to strengthen the connections there. The rest of us don't want anything to do with it. And the Richmond metro area is more conservative than NoVa as a whole.
That is most likely true, but it doesn't mean it is not a liberal stronghold. For over 100 years, systemic voter suppression took place in Va: poll taxes, literacy tests, gerrymandering, off year elections (meaning more time traveling to vote, time missed from work, more confusing voting schedule), restricting absentee voting, reduction of polling places...it was ongoing. Had this not taken place, VA would have not ever been a reliable "red" state.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:27 PM

95 posts, read 93,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
That is most likely true, but it doesn't mean it is not a liberal stronghold. For over 100 years, systemic voter suppression took place in Va: poll taxes, literacy tests, gerrymandering, off year elections (meaning more time traveling to vote, time missed from work, more confusing voting schedule), restricting absentee voting, reduction of polling places...it was ongoing. Had this not taken place, VA would have not ever been a reliable "red" state.
This country was never set up so the masses could all vote. It is a Republic for a reason.

A lot of people today vote on the basis of who will give them free stuff -- something the Democrats campaign on today. This has made it all the more reason to restrict voting access.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:43 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,699,842 times
Your kind isn’t welcome in Virginia anymore. Pack your bags.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:11 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,419,311 times
https://www.insidenova.com/headlines...f2f2c7b16.html

InsideNoVa says without NoVa, Trump would’ve won the state.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:40 AM

1,029 posts, read 929,144 times
Quote:
This country was never set up so the masses could all vote. It is a Republic for a reason.

A lot of people today vote on the basis of who will give them free stuff -- something the Democrats campaign on today. This has made it all the more reason to restrict voting access.
Restrict voting access??? That's legitimately one of most un-American things I've ever seen typed here. Voting is a right and anyone who thinks its a privilege is a fool. You're basically advocating for a even more difficult and convoluted voting process because people vote for things that you don't like.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:52 AM

95 posts, read 93,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Restrict voting access??? That's legitimately one of most un-American things I've ever seen typed here. Voting is a right and anyone who thinks its a privilege is a fool. You're basically advocating for a even more difficult and convoluted voting process because people vote for things that you don't like.
Majority voting is a terrible thing. You know how many unthinking people are out there? Many vote purely on emotion.

I don't support true democracy anyway -- not what we have either. Please read up on some history.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 AM

1,029 posts, read 929,144 times
Quote:
Majority voting is a terrible thing. You know how many unthinking people are out there? Many vote purely on emotion.

I don't support true democracy anyway -- not what we have either. Please read up on some history.
I know far more of history than you. I also made no mention of history so it has no place in this convo and I like to stay on task. Who do you suggest be the only ones that are allowed to vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia