Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,975 times

Advertisements

What where you driving? I was behind a ragged p.o.s. explorer, and there was another car directly behind me. State trooper almost caused a wreck cutting off the car behind me to get me. 60 in a 45. Car, suv, and a 350z. guess which I'm driving. I wasn't racing, just following along not really paying attention. I just thought she had to get the first car on radar. Plus I was as nice as I could, no argument, but she was a total b$*ch. I paid it, first ticket in 16 years. Watch out, state and counties are hurting for revenue, this is how they make up the difference. Another note, go slower on 81 around Roanoke, they will burn you up in that safety zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolverk View Post
Reckless Driving is a Misdemeanor in Virginia...

So unless you want a criminal record, don't just pay the fine...goto court and see if you can get the judge to reduce the offense.

I had the same thing happen to me last year returning home from NC...I got a ticket for 82 in a 65 on I95...the officer pulled me and the vehicle in front of me...he even told me I could avoid court by just paying the fine...yeah right!

I sought the advice of a Lawyer and here's what he told me to do....

Get a copy of your driving record from DMV (mine showed that I hadn't had a speeding violation for the last 10 years)

Take a "Driver's Education" class before going to court. Make sure you get a certificate of completion.

I did these two items and presented them to the judge and he dismissed all the charges and the fines for the ticket.

BTW, the guy in front of me didn't do anything other than show up for court and had the "reckless" bit dropped but still had to pay the fines.

Think on this...I believe in Virginia 3 misdemeanor offenses = FELONY

So get caught speeding 2 more times and your in real trouble
Do you have that lawyers name???

Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times
Mods, please move this over to the official reckless driving thread before this gets out of hand again .

Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,204 times
The Hopewell cops focus on out of state license plates. We were driving behind 3 cars on 295 all with in State Plates and the cop grabs us the slowest of the group and the only out of state driver. What a joke these people are!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,969 times
hopewell, virginia is a speed trap. I believe they are overstating the speed you are driving. Idrove through this area on I295 at approximately 75 mph and was told I was going 84
what crap.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,575 times
Same thing happened to me in Oct. in the same area on my way to NC too. What was the outcome and did you find a lawyer.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,493 times
Default Same Here

I just got a ticket in VA for 83 in a 60 on Thanksgiving day. I am out of state, which means I have to drive 300 miles to go to court or get a lawyer. I was also in a pack of about 40 cars all going the same speed. The cop jumped into the middle and took about 5 minutes to figure out which one he wanted. It was me!

I guess I will contact a lawyer in the area. I use to live in VA, am glad I am out, the cops are really bad there.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,237 times
I am curios now too. I just got reckless on I95, 75 in a 55 in Richmond. Motorcycle cop got me, didn't even see her. She told me I could call and pay the fine to avoid going to court, but when I called, they told me that you have to appear in court for reckless. I didn't even think about getting a lawyer, but suddenly I got 3 letters in the mail from 3 differnt law firms wanting to represent me. I had no idea how serious this was. One of the firms charges a flat rate of $350 and will appear in court for you, so you don't even have to go. First off I'm wondering if it will make me look bad if I don't personally appear in court, second off I'm wondering if this a a fair price for a lawyer and third will I have to pay heft fines on top of the paying the lawyer. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
350 to show up and get the charge reduced to speeding is worth it. If you don't live close then I'd go for it. I don't know who the lawyer is but I guarantee this is one of those reckless driving charges that are easily worked down to a simple speeding charge. The judge will NOT care if you're there or not. You could go to court yourself and get a deal but some people just don't have it in them to try and do this.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,237 times
Thanks for your advice, Bigfoot. I think I'm gonna call a lawyer this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia