Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Sounds good to me. We're looking for an area that's not out of touch with civilization, but not bogged down by it, either. Thanks!
That would be Roanoke. Just big enough so that the people living there don't die of boredom, but just small enough that housing prices are reasonable and non-accident-related traffic jams are non-existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 23,820 times
What is the cost of living in Virgina in your opinion. I am trying to work on
moving there. I am from Louisiana and I know it will be a difference.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
You really can't get an answer from someone who has never even been there....

Cost of living varies in the various parts of VA - you need to work on what kind of job(s) you are looking for, see what is available and go from there.

Honestly, you can't get an opinion on an entire state from a forum.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:33 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
It all depends upon which part of the Commonwealth you'd like to move to. Northern Virginia (NoVA) is just a hair below NYC and San Francisco in terms of housing prices (and in my eyes it's not worth the expense, but I know many others heartily disagree). You can also live in a city like Winchester, Culpeper, or Fredericksburg and be within day-tripping range of DC with a fraction of the cost-of-living of closer-in counties. I can't speak for the cost-of-living in Richmond, Hampton Roads (Norfolk/VA Beach areas), Roanoke, Charlottesville, Danville, Lynchburg, etc., but these places are undoubtedly much cheaper than Northern Virginia, where I pay around $1,200/month for a no frills 1-BR apartment.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,116 times
Default My thoughts on Roanoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
We're in the same situation as these folks, but we're hoping to move in Nov 2010. We already have two young children, so our concerns are the same as far as schools are concerned. How about Roanoke? Any thoughts?
I grew up in Va, and moved away when I went into the service, I did not return until I had teenagers. I thought of moving to Roanoke but I did not like the schools. The first impression I received from the staff sent me running out the doors! Roanoke is a nice town, but if you live there I would say public schools would not be an option. While my husband was working there we lived 60 miles away in Covingon. Thats a very small town, but its great place to raise a family, hubby commuted.

Staunton is my choice place, it has shopping, little traffic, great people, culture you can't believe if you love the arts. Also close to D.C, Ocean, other lakes, and mostly anything you want.

If you ever visit check out the Blackfriers playhouse and the Cheeseshop just to get you started. You will need several days to browse the shops downtown. They are full of wonders!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,482 times
I will cast a vote for Culpeper or Warrenton. Warrenton is within an hour to DC. Culpeper is within 45 minutes to Fredericksburg and/or C'ville.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:10 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valencia29 View Post
What is the cost of living in Virgina in your opinion. I am trying to work on
moving there. I am from Louisiana and I know it will be a difference.
When I want cost of living information I go to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. Put in the nameand state or zip code of the town you are considering. Then click on cost of living link in the two line list after Overview. (Dont click on Cost of Living link further up the page, that's for comparisons).

I have to question the reliability of some data at this site, but I have no reason to think the cost of living data are anything but sound.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 02:25 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
You haven't given any indication of type of job you'll be looking into. You must be young since you mention children in the future. Tell us what kind of job because that might influence suggestions. Best of luck.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:40 PM

13 posts, read 36,685 times
Default We loved C'ville

We lived there about 8 years ago and I'm sure it's changed a lot. We are moving back to VA this summer and are actually looking into the Williamsburg/Yorktown area since we are sailors and want to be by the bay. If it weren't for that, we'd head back to C'ville for sure.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM

129 posts, read 359,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arejohnston View Post
... has all four seasons, ... people who are friendly and down-to-earth.... has trendy shops and restaurants, but also some local country flavor... so we need an area with a good school system.... closer to the mountains than the coast, and we'd like to avoid the traffic from the D.C. area.
It sounds like you want it all. Assuming your priorities are with good school systems, high end communities, shopping, and dinning, you should look in NoVA. Traffic isn't terrible everywhere. Many public HSs in Fairfax and Arlington County are top 100 schools in the country. The mountains aren't too far away if you drive out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia