Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 PM

267 posts, read 1,361,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That would be Roanoke. Just big enough so that the people living there don't die of boredom, but just small enough that housing prices are reasonable and non-accident-related traffic jams are non-existent.
You got that right about Roanoke traffic. A few years ago I remember reading on one of the broadcasting sites ( www.radio-info.com ) where Roanoke is one of the largest cities in America, if not THE largest where the local TV and radio stations do not do regular traffic reports. Some years back driving through Roanoke I was listneing to the morning show on their local WFIR Radio, Roanoke's news station and even during morning drive and during a weekday, I didn't hear WFIR give not one single traffic report. On a similar note local Roanoke TV doesn't use choppers for news ( and of course traffic ) either and for a time it was the largest city in that boat though it's no longer true as due to the economy many local TV stations in markets far bigger than Roanoke no longer use choppers but they still offer regular traffic reports which last I checked it doesnt exist on either WDBJ channel 7 or WSLS channel 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,552 times
I live in franklin county right outside roanoke. It is a bit farther out but worth the short drive into roanoke. If you move to roanoke move to the county area the schools are better. Many live out at the lake and drive into roanoke to work. I see many mention cville but I believe roanoke is a bit larger not really large not huge amts of traffic low crime

Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,442 times
Default Roanoke Traffic

Traffic here is still not a big problem as elsewhere but it is increasing at an alarming rate. Since so much of the state money for transportation projects goes to more traffic clogged areas(like building MORE roads? & creating MORE traffic), I think we will be in for a big shock in the next few years & I feel the local tv stations like WDBJ will have to invest in a chopper and start giving the public traffic news. Of course we have the mountains that prevent Roanoke from being bulldozed to make way for more traffic! It should be interesting to see what happens in VA in the coming years as it relates to traffic? Any ideas?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Warrenton is a really nice town. If you don't have to commute to DC every day it's one of the best places to live.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 PM

104 posts, read 303,362 times
Warrenton is being engulfed by the DC sprawl. It will likely lose much of its charm and rural character in about 10 years or so.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM

50 posts, read 57,007 times
Where did the OP go - one and done?

Anyway, as a rule of thumb (and if you're still out there), if you want "trendy", I'd suggest staying in eastern and northern VA. For more mountains and rural, western VA is where to go. However, your original question
Quote:
Where is the best place to live in Virginia?
is a bit too wide open for anyone to answer. Everyone has a different idea of what "best" means!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passo82 View Post
Warrenton is being engulfed by the DC sprawl. It will likely lose much of its charm and rural character in about 10 years or so.
They've been saying that for the past 20 years. It's a lot less true today than it was five years ago due to the stagnant real estate market. It'll be quite a long time before it's "engulfed". With gas at $3-4 a gallon it's not a real attractive commute. Also, keep in mind Alexandria is also a great place to live (albeit more expensive) and it was "engulfed" by DC about 200 years ago. I don't think the OP is looking for more less developed isolation or I'd have recommended Washington or Sperryville further out 211.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM

125 posts, read 496,964 times
$3-4/gallon? Seriously?? Where? That is nuts. I thought it was below $3 pretty much throughout Virginia now.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreekgotapaddle View Post
$3-4/gallon? Seriously?? Where? That is nuts. I thought it was below $3 pretty much throughout Virginia now.
In NoVA it's right around $3 right now and will probably head to $4 during the summer driving season. Might be less further South where you don't pay as much in taxes.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 AM

104 posts, read 303,362 times
Its 2.79 for gas here in Lynchburg which usually has some of the highest prices in the state. I think It could have something to do with our isolation and lack of access to an interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia