Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 06:06 AM

36 posts, read 95,224 times

Advertisements

I just leased a brand new unit at the Flats @ Atlas complex, which is adjacent to Hechinger Mall on H street, NE.

I spent the last two years living in the Annapolis area, but prior to that, I lived for three years in the Lincoln Park section of Capitol Hill, SE, so I'm somewhat familiar with DC.

I just landed a new job with the Feds and will be working at First and H Streets, NE, which, according to geodistance.com, is approximately 1.5 miles from my new apartment. I'm probably going to alternate between riding the bus and walking to and from work.

Any thoughts on the area? I'm pretty excited about my new gig and brand spankin' new apartment; both are a step up from my previous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,224,076 times
nope...area has went through alot of redevelopment....sounds like you got a great deal...wish I could roll out of bed and bike to work....

Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 AM

89 posts, read 274,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
nope...area has went through alot of redevelopment....sounds like you got a great deal...wish I could roll out of bed and bike to work....
Agreed, that area used to be a lot worse than it is today, especially further down on the Benning Road side (21st used to be rough)...But with a commute like yours in a community in transition, you got a steal for sure

Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 PM

36 posts, read 95,224 times
The rents are definitely less expensive than, say, Chinatown, Logan Circle, U street and Columbia Heights, but they're not exactly cheap, either. Regardless, I'm stoked about it. When I lived on the hill a couple of years ago, I lived at 12th and Independence, SE, in a quaint, old building called lincoln towers. It wasn't bad at all, but the kitchen was tiny and lacked a dishwasher and counter space, and laundry was coin-op in the basement. New place has granite and stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors throughout, and has a full-size W/D in the unit (no more scrounging for quarters!). Garage parking is $150 per month, which is less than some of the other buildings in the metro area I've visited. You all should check it out and become my neighbors!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
I really like this area - seems to change daily.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM

938 posts, read 4,095,698 times
While the action on H St., NE hasn't yet made the jump past the junction and onto Benning/Bladensburg Roads, it is only a matter of time.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM

585 posts, read 2,016,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsandcraftsman View Post
The rents are definitely less expensive than, say, Chinatown, Logan Circle, U street and Columbia Heights, but they're not exactly cheap, either. Regardless, I'm stoked about it. When I lived on the hill a couple of years ago, I lived at 12th and Independence, SE, in a quaint, old building called lincoln towers. It wasn't bad at all, but the kitchen was tiny and lacked a dishwasher and counter space, and laundry was coin-op in the basement. New place has granite and stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors throughout, and has a full-size W/D in the unit (no more scrounging for quarters!). Garage parking is $150 per month, which is less than some of the other buildings in the metro area I've visited. You all should check it out and become my neighbors!
Congrats, sounds like a sweet deal!

I looked around that area when I was apt hunting and loved one place I found but the granite was really ugly and it looked like they used the cheapest stuff possible to say it had granite and threw the kitchen together just to be able to charge higher rent - the sink wasn't even a nice sink, it was a regular sink with granite slapped on top of it, it didn't look right. No washer/dryer, no parking and a $500 deposit (on top of the $1800 security deposit) for my ancient cat... no thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC