Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Not at all. Can you really confirm the comment of a bar filled with so many women that a physical lack of space causes an altercation? Thats what's in the article and that is what I am questioning. I believe that is a frustrated article from frustrated individuals with their version of reality.
No, I don't go to bars much. I was just wondering if it was possible you're looking in the wrong places, but I cannot say if you are or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,777,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesOnTheMove View Post
I'm a woman but I've browsed my competition on dating sites and have been really surprised by the very specific standards that a lot of women list as requirements. As an example, I'm 5'8" but will date a man a couple inches shorter than me, whereas I have seen women who are 5'2" and their profiles say a man must be 6'0". The 6 foot requirement seems to be really common and odd IMO. Height is just one example- I do think people (women AND men- if I hear/read one more damn stupid reference to Maxim model standards) have unrealistic standards. You never know who's gonna rock your world, in the romantic sense.
A lot of women admit to being overly picky on date sites. Because its too easy to eliminate since there's a 500 profiles to go through. Add to it, its seems like many many women over analyze things way to often. Its funny hearing women talk about men. He could have some simple hobby or piece of furniture and they'll decide his life's ambitions based on it. And declare him a dud.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM

708 posts, read 1,208,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
A lot of women admit to being overly picky on date sites. Because its too easy to eliminate since there's a 500 profiles to go through. Add to it, its seems like many many women over analyze things way to often. Its funny hearing women talk about men. He could have some simple hobby or piece of furniture and they'll decide his life's ambitions based on it. And declare him a dud.
I am looking for that video of women saying they wanted 6 ft 6 and a basketball player. Steve Harvey did a special on how women can be too picky we all do it to different degrees.

In the end, male vs female isn't harder than the other -- it sucks on both sides and I would question anyone saying being a single male in DC is harder than a female or vice versa. Things are *different* example: dudes don't get sugar daddy's or rent paid for their bodies (often) and women don't get to insult and demean and carry potbellies and still be called sexy.

If people focused on what they have in common (note: happy couples tend to do this) vs what is different then maybe dating wouldn't be so difficult. /soapbox

Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,865,183 times
Trus story:

I was out for drinks one night with a coworker who had just moved into town. She had left a relationship a few months before and was in a new place, ready to meet some guys. We had a chat about what she was looking for and we touched on all the physicals -- height (about 6'2 or more, she is 5'11), blue or green eyes, chiseled bod with broad shoulders and the "man V", thick, light colored hair, nice butt, etc. etc. During the chat, I got a text from another acquaintance who wanted to know what I was up to. I let him know that I was out with my coworker and that we were having drinks. He asked if he could join, and I said okay. This guy is about 5'11, bald (shaves his head because he is losing his hair at 30), average build, brown eyes, and hasn't seen the inside of a gym in some time. In short, NOTHING like her list of "must haves." But a great guy. I told her he was coming and she said "Is he cute?" I responded, "Sure, he's cool, but I don't think he's your type."

We met him on the way to our second location and it was absolutely amazing. They got along like a house on fire. Talked, drank, laughed and had a great time all night. He spent the night on her couch and they hung out the whole next day. She met his family within a month and they are getting married in August after a little over a year together.

The moral of the story is the "right one" may not come in a package that's immediately enticing. We all have our ideals and should put them out there as just that-- ideals. But when it clicks, only a fool will cling to their need for a perfect physical specimen.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,729,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Trus story:

I was out for drinks one night with a coworker who had just moved into town. She had left a relationship a few months before and was in a new place, ready to meet some guys. We had a chat about what she was looking for and we touched on all the physicals -- height (about 6'2 or more, she is 5'11), blue or green eyes, chiseled bod with broad shoulders and the "man V", thick, light colored hair, nice butt, etc. etc. During the chat, I got a text from another acquaintance who wanted to know what I was up to. I let him know that I was out with my coworker and that we were having drinks. He asked if he could join, and I said okay. This guy is about 5'11, bald (shaves his head because he is losing his hair at 30), average build, brown eyes, and hasn't seen the inside of a gym in some time. In short, NOTHING like her list of "must haves." But a great guy. I told her he was coming and she said "Is he cute?" I responded, "Sure, he's cool, but I don't think he's your type."

We met him on the way to our second location and it was absolutely amazing. They got along like a house on fire. Talked, drank, laughed and had a great time all night. He spent the night on her couch and they hung out the whole next day. She met his family within a month and they are getting married in August after a little over a year together.

The moral of the story is the "right one" may not come in a package that's immediately enticing. We all have our ideals and should put them out there as just that-- ideals. But when it clicks, only a fool will cling to their need for a perfect physical specimen.
That's pretty inspiring.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM

373 posts, read 823,690 times
Someone, somewhere, is perpetuating the myth that women have mile-long checklists of must-haves that include things like the 6s (height, income, abs, etc) and will completely disregard any guy who does not meet every criterion. Chances are, the perpetuators are the Nice Guys (TM) who think that any woman they deem worthy of their attention is obligated to be into him, regardless of her own interests and what she finds attractive, simply because he is Nice. As if Nice were a deal-closer and not a baseline that EVERYBODY should be.

What distinguishes Nice Guys (TM) from actual nice people? Among other things, nice people don't use their kindness as a tool for manipulation.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM

85 posts, read 233,431 times
As a woman with mostly women as friends, I can say that many women have ridiculous requirements- height predominant in my mind because I am on the tall side of average but I hear more short women who 'require' height in their partner. Ridonculous.

But dudes have the 'Maxim model' idea in their heads too which is just laughable (not the women, the standard). Often laughable because I read on here how Average Joes (I'm assuming) are upset because DC doesn't have more Maxim model-types walking around... you know, on their way to their high-paying job (that isn't that important to them), single (but out of choice, not because they are picky), smart (but not too smart) and slutty (but only for the right guy).

Lastly, I want a man to be nice but I don't want a nice guy (TM or otherwise).

Old 07-01-2012, 12:35 PM

85 posts, read 233,431 times
Love it!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 AM

16,260 posts, read 43,335,411 times
But is it good journalism. At the mimimum, it indulges in that myth that single women should go to Alaska for men, however unrealistic it actually is.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 AM

355 posts, read 1,001,310 times
I have repeatedly posted pictures from bars and clubs in DC which clearly show a male surplus in all nightlife establishments (2 males : 1 female). There is not a single bar in DC where the men don't outnumber the women, it's almost always a sausage fest, factually documented in many of my posts from 2011. But there is one caveat: the few women in all those pics all are in their 20s, while the men are all over the map, which creates the male surplus.

For the women over 30, who aren't in bars, the situation changes, their selection of suitors may not be as broad as for the young 20-something girls in clubs, who "have men coming out of their ears" to quote what I've heard from some of them.

Keep in mind that DC was voted "the Best City for Single Women". The ratio in DC proper may have slightly more women, but that's a misleading statistic, most people live in the surrounding suburbs and the ratio in the MD/DC/VA region is 55% M - 45% F. Also, "Unlike other cities, Washington has people coming and going with each administration,” according to Helen Fisher, an anthropologist. “So women have a continually renewed source of men.”

Women aren't really complaining about DC, it's the men who are. Tiger Beer, you should know that since you've been on these boards a long time. DC is home to some of the ugliest women in the country (including those two reporters) and, in addition, its nightlife sausage fests often rival Alaska's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: