Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 07:17 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,278,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I've heard Chinatown is getting worse.

I don't know if it is getting worse. More like stalled at a not great place. It was edging down a little pre-pandemic as the Wharf and other areas competed for business. It went into a free fall during the pandemic as commuter and arena traffic dried up. It has rebounded a little from the depths of the pandemic, but is basically spinning in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 12:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I don't know if it is getting worse. More like stalled at a not great place. It was edging down a little pre-pandemic as the Wharf and other areas competed for business. It went into a free fall during the pandemic as commuter and arena traffic dried up. It has rebounded a little from the depths of the pandemic, but is basically spinning in place.
It seems to be really busy now with the holiday market, but that may be an isolated time of year. I guess January 2024 will be a better assessment.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:21 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Homicides, robberies and GTAs are up significantly this year. Of course, homicides are pretty rare in the downtown area and the traditional upscale residential neighborhoods in NW. Robberies more common downtown but still rare in the aforementioned nice residential areas. Auto theft however is up citywide pretty much and can happen anywhere.

While crime overall is far more common in ungentrified, impoverished areas, it's certainly up and a real presence in gentrified areas that are in relatively close proximity to those crime-ridden neighorhoods.

In other words, if you live in the Palisades or Foxhall it's not really anything to worry about, if you live in Anacostia or Brentwood you know what the score is, but if you're in a place like Navy Yard, Shaw, Capitol Hill or Adams Morgan, well it's gonna be closer to home than you'd like given how much you're probably paying for your home.
Agreed for most, but Adams Morgan? Seems pretty well situated to me.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Adams Morgan is better than Columbia Heights, U Street, Shaw, H Street where you regularly having shootings. But there are still issues with car jackings, muggings, etc on the side streets. People come out to take advantage of drunks stumbling home from the bars. If DC were a more normal city with say 80 homicides a year, I think people would rank it as a more mid tier neighborhood in terms of safety. Not high poverty area with extreme crime, but an area where you need to be a little careful at night.

Last edited by jpdivola; 12-13-2023 at 07:44 AM..

Old 12-13-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It seems to be really busy now with the holiday market, but that may be an isolated time of year. I guess January 2024 will be a better assessment.
Yeah, it has been busier downtown recently with the holiday market. But hard to say how it is relative to Dec 2019, there are certainly more retail vacancies. Or even last year. Some things has closed Bar Deco, Toms Watchbar, Pi Pizza, while other things have opened (Luna Hall). It seems too early to say the area has turned the corner. But hopefully it's at least not getting worse.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:28 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Depends where in Adams Morgan. I used to live across the bridge in Woodley Park which was very safe. The part of Adams Morgan closest to the other side of the Calvert St bridge and west of Columbia Road is ok. Gets much worse almost as soon as you cross 18th street. Adams Morgan is a transition zone between west of the Park "ok" DC, and the rough areas to the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC