Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 12:07 PM

21 posts, read 60,049 times

Advertisements

Help! We are considering moving from Florida to DC and I have no clue where to live. I will be working in Greenbelt, MD, and my husband in downtown DC. We have a 2 year old, so preschools are important, and a large dog (70 lbs). What would be a good area so that my commute to MD is not longer than 30-40 min and my husband can use public transportation? Would living in DC be a good option? We have a budget of $1700-2000 month and would need a 2 bedroom apt. Thanks!
M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 03:35 PM

209 posts, read 984,679 times
I'd look closer to Greenbelt. You'll get a lot more for your money. Having the big dog is really going narrow your options, especially in DC proper.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,085 times
First, I would not recommend 'splitting the difference' as many people do with commute situations. It results in two people tired at the end of the day and both not easily accessible to home in case of an emergency (and with a 2 year old, it happens).

That said I think Greenbelt is probably a better option, simply due to price and the fact you have a dog. Most of the things in DC are going to be rather expensive, and you will eventually have the 'school issue' come up that keeps so many young families outside of the DC boundaries.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:07 AM

Thanks a lot for your replies. Is there public transportation available from Greenbelt to DC? (train?). How long would that take? how long of a drive in the morning? thanks.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM

There is both a MARC station and a subway station in Greenbelt. The subway is probably 30 minutes or so (depends where you get off and if you transfer) and the train is probably a bit faster, but only gets you to Union Station where you have to hop a subway or bus.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:05 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,860 times
Just live right in Greenbelt...nice little downtown area and tons of public transportation options.

It's all the way at the end of the green line, so he'll always have an easy time getting a seat in the morning.

That line does go through part of downtown -- Chinatown, Archives and L'Enfant Plaza.

Silver Spring might work too.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks again everyone. My husband really wants to live in DC... He's been communting for 7 years so now it might be my turn... How long would it take me to drive to Greenbelt? (actually, NASA's Goddard Space Center).

Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru77 View Post
Thanks again everyone. My husband really wants to live in DC... He's been communting for 7 years so now it might be my turn... How long would it take me to drive to Greenbelt? (actually, NASA's Goddard Space Center).
Ok, where in Downtown DC is he working. East End, West End, White House, Dupont? Can help narrow down which subway line to live off of and also sorting out your commute.

Is there a shuttle from the MARC to Goddard? Would seem that would still be easiest--quick subway / train right up and then over to the facility.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 PM

228 posts, read 920,211 times
I commute daily from DC to Goddard. It's pretty easy - straight out NY Avenue, to BW Parkway. About 25 minutes door to door. Unfortunately metro isn't practical if you work at Goddard (unless you leave your car in the metro lot overnight, pick it up in the morning, and drive the last few miles). I prefer DC to Greenbelt. Old Greenbelt center is nice in a kitschy sort of way, but there isn't much to do. Some other parts of Greenbelt aren't particularly pleasant or safe. However, to get the easy commute you can't live in upper NW DC. Driving across DC to get to NY Avenue would be a slog. Look instead at closer areas such as Logan, Capitol Hill, Brookland, Ledroit Park, and Petworth (listed roughly in order of decreasing gentrification).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC