Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 27,564 times

Advertisements

Hello I am looking to relocate to dc from mi (metro detroit) with a new job I have some questions for anyone that doesnt mind helping me. Thanks

I want to live withing 1-2 hrs from dc, where would be the best location?
I want to know what is a good option to the west, to be closer to drive to MI?
I would only have to drive into the city every 4th day for work and would be commuting at 5-6am to and from work / Firefighter schedule.
I am 26 and married w/ no kids.
I am looking for a nice neighbor hood (arent we all) with some what rural areas/big lots.
Nothing special for housing maybe 250k. or a nice apt to rent for the first few months. Both incomes a 100+ k a yr.
So to sum it up i have not been there and want some advise on where to start looking and maybe someone on here is one of the 1000's leaving Mi and was in the same shoes as me and could direct me.

Thanks again and if my questions are not specific enough let me know...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Where in DC will you be working? Anacostia? Friendship Heights? Kenilworth?

Its a small geographic area, but getting from one side of the district to the other can be slow (no cross-town freeways here), so where you will be working will help determine a good place to live.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Where in DC will you be working? Anacostia? Friendship Heights? Kenilworth?

Its a small geographic area, but getting from one side of the district to the other can be slow (no cross-town freeways here), so where you will be working will help determine a good place to live.

Thats a hard one to answer cause I will be working for DC Fire Department so I can be at any of the 50 stations. But only work 2 days a week so If I have a 2 hr + drive I can handle that.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
If you don't mind a long commute the first spot I thought of was Frederick, MD. It's 50 miles from DC and will def take 2 hours in rush hour. But it is west of the city and not as expensive as DC. 250K won't get you much of anything in DC maybe a 2 bedroom condo but certainly not a house. Probably more expensive than Detroit but Frederick is cheaper than the city though.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
Just my humble opinion, but living 1-2 hours away from your job is miserable in DC - even going in every 4th day. Trust me. I've done it. You realize very quickly why people in Maryland and Virginia are always complaining about the city in a way people in the District never seem to. Traffic is no joke - and if you catch a really rainy day or snowy day, you might as well just call in.

I'm also not sure metro DC is the place you want to stake your exurban big lot / rural dream. DC has a major suburban sprawl issue and you're a) probably not going to have semi-rural for very long and b) you're going to pay a lot more than what you'll probably get out of the place in terms of quality of life.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Maybe Annapolis? I have a colleague who lives there and her commute isn't two hours. House sizes and lots are pretty big, although I don't know how expensive real estate is there.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,085 times
Southern Maryland can be pretty rural, and is filled with police and firemen from DC and PG county. Can look at the Northern part of Calvert County or South County Anne Arundel for commutes within 1 hour.

It's not 'closer' to Detroit but is driving home to Detroit really a one-day event such that it would really matter?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will start researching those locations today..

Thanks again

Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,568 times
Congrats on a new job by the way things in MI I hear are pretty bad. I was going to suggest Frederick but you couldn't pay me enough to commute 1-2 hours by car to go to work. It's up to you.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 PM

42 posts, read 174,900 times
Woodbridge is a nice suburbia area far away enough from the city (IMO). I lived there when I was younger and it's only a 45min drive with traffic. The neighborhoods are very nice, although I'm not sure what the current condition is of the housing market in that area. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC