Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which temperate climate has more in common with the subtropics to you?
New York City 24 34.29%
Wellington 46 65.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM

13,503 posts, read 9,057,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
According to who? Not Köppen or Trewartha.
According to anyone with a ounce of common sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,363,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
According to anyone with a ounce of common sense
If they're far too cold to you, that's totally different, I completely understand, but your preference and/or perception doesn't define the climate.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM

13,503 posts, read 9,057,046 times
Quote:
If they're far too cold to you, that's totally different, I completely understand, but your preference and/or perception doesn't define the climate.
Not just to me though. I would imagine most people would agree that New Yorks winters are far from sub-tropical...

Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,455,397 times
NYC seems much more subtropical most of the year, except in winter. Wellington just seems downright oceanic and not subtropical at all.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,745,839 times
Quote:
A claim that is highly subjective. And all climates restrict what will grow, the same is true for Wellington, there are plants that require more cold/heat/rain/sun than Wellington can provide.

Subtropical gardening is also a reality for Washington and NYC.

If NYC has a Cfa climate, how is it closer to continental than subtropical?

And it's foolish to think a label will make anyone feel any different about any climate, I wish the name "Cfa" came with extra winter warmth, but it doesn't. I still live in a climate that averages above freezing in all months, most precipitation in the winter is in the form of rain, when it snows it doesn't stick around, the grass is pretty much green all winter, I see subtropical and "continental" vegetation planted side by side, and I still feel winter sucks. Call it whatever you want, but it's still the same thing at the end of the day.

According to who? Not Köppen or Trewartha.
New York is too cold to be more subtropical, because it's temperature range, makes it more continental. If the winters got warmer, then it would get "more" subtropical. Wellington can grow vastly more than New York, but I can't think of a single species that New York can grew, that Wellington couldn't.

Have you got any links showing subtropical gardens in New York? A couple of species of palms that can handle temperatures down to -20C, isn't subtropical gardening.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:15 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,614,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
New York is too cold to be more subtropical, because it's temperature range, makes it more continental. If the winters got warmer, then it would get "more" subtropical. Wellington can grow vastly more than New York, but I can't think of a single species that New York can grew, that Wellington couldn't.

Have you got any links showing subtropical gardens in New York? A couple of species of palms that can handle temperatures down to -20C, isn't subtropical gardening.
Tmins haven't dropped to or below 0C in Wellington city since July 1965.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:

"Too cold" is still subjective, and I don't feel that temperature range should matter, if New York was 10°F warmer overall (50/37 in Jan; 95/80 in July), would you feel as though it was more subtropical than Wellington? And I never said New York had the ability to grow more plant species than Wellington (maybe it does, idk), I said Wellington's climate also restricts what it can grow, and I'd bet that there are plant species that New York can grow and Wellington can't.

I don't have any links, I don't feel they're necessary. The amount of plant species native to the subtropics is mind blowing, and many of them grow/thrive/survive in environments colder than NYC, I don't get why that's so unbelievable. One of NYC's most famous trees is a Magnolia grandiflora (Subtropical U.S. native) planted in the 1800's, it's also a landmark. I didn't even mention palms, but why aren't they considered subtropical gardening? Rhapidophyllum hystrix is a Florida native, yet it isn't considered subtropical? Who made these rules?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
"Too cold" is still subjective, and I don't feel that temperature range should matter, if New York was 10°F warmer overall (50/37 in Jan; 95/80 in July), would you feel as though it was more subtropical than Wellington? And I never said New York had the ability to grow more plant species than Wellington (maybe it does, idk), I said Wellington's climate also restricts what it can grow, and I'd bet that there are plant species that New York can grow and Wellington can't.

I don't have any links, I don't feel they're necessary. The amount of plant species native to the subtropics is mind blowing, and many of them grow/thrive/survive in environments colder than NYC, I don't get why that's so unbelievable. One of NYC's most famous trees is a Magnolia grandiflora (Subtropical U.S. native) planted in the 1800's, it's also a landmark. I didn't even mention palms, but why aren't they considered subtropical gardening? Rhapidophyllum hystrix is a Florida native, yet it isn't considered subtropical? Who made these rules?
Too cold isn't subjective. Growing citrus, olives, guava, passionfruit, potatoes etc isn't subjective, neither are bees producing honey on a range of mid winter flowering plants.

If NYC was 5C warmer, I would consider it more subtropical, because the combination of summer and winter warmth, would enable the best of both climates and would transform NYC as you know it.

Subtropical is a well known gardening genera and look. It's not a look I've ever seen in anything about NYC.

Magnolia isn't considered subtropical in NZ, and grows even in the far south. Rhapidophyllum is so cold hardy, that no conclusions can be reached about any climate where it grows - apart from the fact that it doesn't get below -23C/7F and that it needs a reasonable degree of heat.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Tmins haven't dropped to or below 0C in Wellington city since July 1965.
Yes Infamous92 wouldn't recognise NYC, if it didn't get to 0C in winter. Imagine the Old Mans beard in Central Park.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Too cold isn't subjective. Growing citrus, olives, guava, passionfruit, potatoes etc isn't subjective, neither are bees producing honey on a range of mid winter flowering plants.

If NYC was 5C warmer, I would consider it more subtropical, because the combination of summer and winter warmth, would enable the best of both climates and would transform NYC as you know it.

Subtropical is a well known gardening genera and look. It's not a look I've ever seen in anything about NYC.

Magnolia isn't considered subtropical in NZ, and grows even in the far south. Rhapidophyllum is so cold hardy, that no conclusions can be reached about any climate where it grows - apart from the fact that it doesn't get below -23C/7F and that it needs a reasonable degree of heat.
It is a bit subjective, sure it's too cold for the things you listed (except Citrus), but those aren't the only subtropical plants on earth. Overall, I wouldn't say NYC looks subtropical, but subtropicals are definitely here and are apparent, trunking Yucca being among the most common. And while a 5°C boost would transform NYC (for the better lol), it isn't needed for it to look more subtropical, all NYC needs is for zone 7b/8a hardy subtropicals to continue growing in numbers.

Magnolias may not be considered subtropical in NZ, but they do originate from the subtropics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather