Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 05:58 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I can't call a climate with all months under 18°C subtropical, it feels just as wrong as calling Erie, PA subtropical which has it's coldest month around -2°C
I guess it depends how you look at it. To me Manizales is solidly subtropical as it shows the same pattern as tropical-equatorial climates, just cooler in all seasons due to altitude. If I were creating a subtropical category I'd want it to border the tropical at altitude as well as latitude so having Pueblo Rico (tropical) bordering Manizales (not-even-subtropical) is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:07 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I guess it depends how you look at it. To me Manizales is solidly subtropical as it shows the same pattern as tropical-equatorial climates, just cooler in all seasons due to altitude. If I were creating a subtropical category I'd want it to border the tropical at altitude as well as latitude so having Pueblo Rico (tropical) bordering Manizales (not-even-subtropical) is a problem.
The only fix I could think of is to change the cold month for subtropical and warm oceanic climates to 6°C to 16°C, then make a tropical transitional category where all months are over 16°C, and the warmest month is below 24°C. Then split tropical climates into seasonal and equatorial.

Have seasonal tropical be coolest month 16°C+ with warmest month 24°C+, and equatorial tropical have all months 24°C+

That would make both Pueblo Rico and Manizales tropical transitional

Old 06-05-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
The only fix I could think of is to change the cold month for subtropical and warm oceanic climates to 6°C to 16°C, then make a tropical transitional category where all months are over 16°C, and the warmest month is below 24°C. Then split tropical climates into seasonal and equatorial.

Have seasonal tropical be coolest month 16°C+ with warmest month 24°C+, and equatorial tropical have all months 24°C+

That would make both Pueblo Rico and Manizales tropical transitional
That would work!

Old 06-05-2020, 08:08 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,142 times
Personally it’s the dividing line in real feel temperature with humidity. Below 65 F, humid days feel colder than the actual temperature. Above it, humid days feel warmer than the actual temperature. For example, 50 F and humid feels more like 45 F, while 80 F and humid feels more like 85 F.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:28 PM

49 posts, read 38,738 times
Quote:
But did he really?
When I was in college in the late 80s, I read this in an old meteorology book (probably from the 50s or 60s) that I found in the college library. If I remember correctly, what Koppen did was noted where coconut palms "naturally" grew and found that their climatic limit was to places that didn't have any monthly average temperatures below 18C or 64.4F. The book also explained that this was why an A Koppen climate uses this temperature as the minimum monthly average for a tropical climate.

Now, you could say that the old book was wrong about Koppen but this was a scientific meteorology book, not one that you would find in a Barnes & Noble for the general public so I doubt that it was incorrect.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat 32 View Post
When I was in college in the late 80s, I read this in an old meteorology book (probably from the 50s or 60s) that I found in the college library. If I remember correctly, what Koppen did was noted where coconut palms "naturally" grew and found that their climatic limit was to places that didn't have any monthly average temperatures below 18C or 64.4F. The book also explained that this was why an A Koppen climate uses this temperature as the minimum monthly average for a tropical climate.

Now, you could say that the old book was wrong about Koppen but this was a scientific meteorology book, not one that you would find in a Barnes & Noble for the general public so I doubt that it was incorrect.
Interesting! I presume by "naturally" it meant able to reproduce by itself, which would make sense as coconut palms do grow in climates a little cooler than 18C in the coldest month, but probably don't naturalise.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:13 PM

49 posts, read 38,738 times
Quote:
Interesting! I presume by "naturally" it meant able to reproduce by itself, which would make sense as coconut palms do grow in climates a little cooler than 18C in the coldest month, but probably don't naturalise.
Yes, I believe that is what he meant, the palms could grow, set viable fruit, and establish themselves long-term without interference from humans.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:50 AM

858 posts, read 694,777 times
Not really why, but 18C is also the threshold for the beginning/end of summer where I live. It's also the temperature at which I start wearing short sleeves.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:23 PM

405 posts, read 82,267 times
Quote:
I can't call a climate with all months under 18°C subtropical, it feels just as wrong as calling Erie, PA subtropical which has it's coldest month around -2°C
Let wikipedia kill you with the -3°C isotherm, Erie, PA is humid-subtropical, there you go man!!!

Old 03-09-2024, 08:31 PM

405 posts, read 82,267 times
I consider 64.4°F to be the first practical cold temperature since I have to start my light sweater layer, and 26.6°F to the start of hard cold where you start to use extra layers and more than just simply a jacket and simple winter clothes. I use Köppen isotherms more seriously, 26.6-64.4°F(-3°C-18°C) is temperate isotherms as mild cold or simple cold, -36.4°F-26.6°F(-3°C- -38°C) very cold or hard cold, and -38°C or below extreme cold in which his system does. I take it so serious that when it is below 64.4°F(18°C) outside I start to wear jackets, when it is below 26.6°F outside I get packed up with 3 layers of clothes, and sweaters under the jackets seriously, and if it’s below -38°C outside I wouldn’t even go outside since it is very dangerous for me, and not even in Yakutsk I would adapt, and no winter clothes of no sort would help bro. No Dfd, Dwd, or Dsd climates for me, well I would visit just to try them out, but you know that the cold winters I would not be outside often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather