Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 06:27 PM

2,816 posts, read 1,405,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
It's hard to say, though I do monitor non-Florida coastal areas of the southeast US because of palm growers.

I don't usually monitor areas in Texas outside of Galveston, but I did see that Dallas Love Field had a rain/snow mix a couple evenings ago and still managed to stay above freezing for the remainder of the night!
Dallas Love Field is surprisingly good at staying above freezing with snow. Beyond what you mentioned, they got their first traces of snow during 2C weather last November, and have even had snow at its absolute limits (a bit over 10C) in April 2018!
I guess the atmosphere in that area is conducive to the snow falling closer to its limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
They did hit 30 F this morning, though.
Even if that -1C this morning means they aren't going to beat the January 8 2017 record for last frost, it is a testament to how darn good Dallas weather monitoring is. They haven't had a frost prior to this since December 28, and since then have gotten as hot as 28C (3.2C above the usual January maximum), which I have to say made some darn good monitoring.

As a matter of fact, if that -1C this morning is the coldest it gets all January, they're going to beat their counterpart of Charleston Int'l in that respect!
Charleston Int'l dropped down to -2C during the January 14-15 cold front, and that is very beneficial to my side of my contests seeing which outdoes the other (rooting for Dallas Love Field of course). After unjustly being left in the dust of Charleston Int'l by over a month in the first frost monitoring and then getting 4C colder from the Christmas freak cold front, Dallas Love Field could really use some payback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 07:07 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
.....the most fascinating....

Antarctica.
i ain't a-goin' dare.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:18 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Dallas Love Field is surprisingly good at staying above freezing with snow. Beyond what you mentioned, they got their first traces of snow during 2C weather last November, and have even had snow at its absolute limits (a bit over 10C) in April 2018!
I guess the atmosphere in that area is conducive to the snow falling closer to its limits.

Didn't we find out that the April 2018 "snow" was actually hail?

Old 01-26-2023, 07:25 PM

2,816 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Didn't we find out that the April 2018 "snow" was actually hail?
Now that you mention it, I do remember the 'snow' hail on a 36C/23C day last September. Don't know why I never processed it could mean what happened in April 2018 was hail though.

Nevertheless, unless we have something from weather.gov that explicitly distinguishes between specific events of actual snow and just hail reported as snow (which would be great, because 23-36C 'snow' not distinguished as hail is silly), I wouldn't rule out the April 2018 snow entirely. It is at the upper end for snow after all.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:31 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
It has got to be the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. Just the incredible amounts of rain that they get, not to mention the fact that it's a Oceanic climate that's on the warmer side. Also I find it fascinating that despite being on the west coast there has been severe weather including tornadoes in the region previously.

Come to think of it I find all of New Zealand to be one of the most fascinating countries for weather with the country being a mixture of Oceanic and Subtropical.

Crazy the amount of rain Auckland just got with some areas over 200mm in one day. The airport even got flooded.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:20 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
It has got to be the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. Just the incredible amounts of rain that they get, not to mention the fact that it's a Oceanic climate that's on the warmer side. Also I find it fascinating that despite being on the west coast there has been severe weather including tornadoes in the region previously.
In my opinion, the west coast mountains are the leading contender for the snowiest place on the planet. Unfortunately there has been no attempt to measure snowfall in the snowiest places, but there have been estimations of up to 60 metres in a year.

Speaking of tornadoes, I driving towards Hector a few years ago, and there was debris from railway siding yards/sheds, a few kilometres away from where the tornado was.

Another time we were doing a job at Blaketown when there was a quite severe thunder/hailstorm - we were the only location in town that experienced it, with most of the town in sunshine at the time ... as a result, we were the only part of town that didn't see waterspouts just off the coast.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:14 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
To me the most fascinating weather in the world are the southern hemisphere mid latitude climates. The fact that they have no continental climates and tundra climates extend into the 40s latitude at sea level is fascinating.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:20 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Danakil Depression Salt Flats, NE Ethiopian, hottest place on Earth creating a Mars like landscape with bubbling sulfur pools and active volcano lava lakes.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:57 PM

465 posts, read 404,898 times
The coast of Honshu along the Sea of Japan has an interesting climate. Tons of sea-effect snow in the winter even though it doesn't average that cold and the record lows are relatively mild.

But I'm especially interested in how climate zones are shifting, and how they will continue to shift even more in the next few centuries. In all likelihood this area will have a hot-summer Mediterranean climate before too long. Areas with continental climates will become subtropical, subarctic to continental, tundra to subarctic. Most of the Amazon is forecast to become a hot desert by 2500 as per this paper: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.15871

This is both fascinating and scary.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:20 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
In my opinion, the west coast mountains are the leading contender for the snowiest place on the planet. Unfortunately there has been no attempt to measure snowfall in the snowiest places, but there have been estimations of up to 60 metres in a year.
That's another thing I really like about the West Coast of NZ. Little or no snow on the coast but tons of snow up in the mountains.

Also I find it fascinating that NZ's West Coast, unlike a lot of other west coast climates at a similar latitude, doesn't seem to have much of a cooling trend when it rains.

Last edited by gordo; 01-27-2023 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather