Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 05:14 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times

Advertisements

Obviously for me, it's the Southeast US' subtropical and tropical climates. The cream of the crop within all the places I monitor are as follows, in no particular order save number 1 being number 1.

-Dallas. Makes my list because it is the quintessential subtropical climate and has remarkably good weather monitoring.
-Charleston. Dallas' coastal and same latitude counterpart, the 2 were made to be compared.
-Outer Banks. Even-more-remarkably good monitoring time given their averages and especially latitude, with frostless winters occasionally being possible for the ultimate monitoring treat.
-Tallahassee. As good as FSU Tallahassee is for weather monitoring, it's not the reason Tallahassee makes the list - rather because I became fascinated by its weather upon learning it holds Florida's state record low, before I knew FSU Tallahassee weather station existed. And what got me interested, the cold hole airport, can from time to time perform pretty damn well which is well worth watching out for.
-Gainesville. The airport performs surprisingly well relative to its averages and coastal areas.
-Archbold Biological Station. Such an oddball.
-Augusta Daniel Field and downtown. 9a-9b areas with a usual monitoring time from late February-early December, 180km inland and over 33N latitude, is a real treat.
-Anywhere in South Florida. I had no idea the mainland US had tropical climates before I got into climatology and remain fascinated to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 01:02 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
A hard question - tornadoes are the most fascinating phenomena for me, but I don't really find the areas where the biggest ones occur to have fascinating climates.

Probably places like Azores or Madeira - perpetually balmy climates.

Wellington with it's ability to have balmy conditions, then bone chilling wind, as a part of a daily cycle, on what feels like most days, stills amazes me.

Old 01-26-2023, 02:46 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,309,210 times
I've always been fascinated with continental influenced US cities as I was growing up. The four distinctive seasons they get. Cold snow filled winters and long, hot and humid summers.

Old 01-26-2023, 02:56 AM

1,223 posts, read 721,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I've always been fascinated with continental influenced US cities as I was growing up. The four distinctive seasons they get. Cold snow filled winters and long, hot and humid summers.
But as everywhere else in the world agrees, Paddy... they ain't 'quintessentially subtropical', lol
( oh dear... gunna get old mate OP started again...lol...
More likely 'quintessential subcontinental', what with ice days, frost, snow and stuff.... as well as hot humid summers.
But yes, I like them myself, but if they cant grow a Jacaranda Tree, well....stuff that....too cold for my liking.... lol

Old 01-26-2023, 07:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Out of curiosity do you mean humid continental climate US cities, or subtropical US cities that transition from continental? Both are of course fascinating, it's just unclear which you are referring to.

@Greysrigging, I've taken your comment to the appropriate thread about the Southeast US subtropical climate, so we don't turn this thread into another thread about it. If you want to keep the discussion going that's the place to do it.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:39 AM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
I'd say the southern end of Lake Maracaibo around the mouth of the Catatumbo River for the phenomenon of Catatumbo lightning. It seems unique in the world for the amount of lightning it receives - roughly half the nights of the year, for many hours. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatumbo_lightning

Old 01-26-2023, 04:44 PM

414 posts, read 797,762 times
A few interesting spots around this third rock:

Lima and Walvis Bay: Not interesting in terms of temps and seasonal variation but they are still pretty unique. Near rainless deserts with mild temperatures year round at low latitudes. Lima is especially amazing, at sea level on the same latitude as Darwin yet with summers no warmer than coastal Sydney. All down to the eastern boundary currents of course (Humboldt and Benguela, respectively).

Hokkaido: Gargantuan amounts of snowfall, even at sea level despite being firmly in the midlatitudes. The most reliable place for deep snowfall at relatively moderate temperatures (between 0 and -10). I would happily live here despite the brief humid summer.

Turpan, China: Dreadfully hot summers combined with freezing winters. Seasonal change is guaranteed here. A forum favourite.

Rocky Mountains, Denver etc.: The Rockies can go from T-shirt weather one day to blizzard conditions the next and back again. Would not like the tornado and baseball sized hail risk that comes with this volatile weather, though. The Dakotas can be similar in all regards.

Unfortunately Australia doesn't offer much out of the ordinary on a global scale; it's too moderated by the oceans for that. The only real point of interest is whether the Pilbara or outback South Australia can top 50C each summer, but even these hot places are dwarfed by their Northern Hemisphere equivalents. Marble Bar is impressive for persistently high temps in the warm season but I think Mecca beat its run of 38C/100F temps if I'm not mistaken.

As for snow and cold, it's strictly novelty value only.

Old 01-26-2023, 04:54 PM

2,932 posts, read 1,309,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Out of curiosity do you mean humid continental climate US cities, or subtropical US cities that transition from continental? Both are of course fascinating, it's just unclear which you are referring to.

@Greysrigging, I've taken your comment to the appropriate thread about the Southeast US subtropical climate, so we don't turn this thread into another thread about it. If you want to keep the discussion going that's the place to do it.
Both but more so humid continental climates like Chicago for example. The distinct seasons differences mean people live differently according to the seasons. For example watching Americans enjoy summer around these cities compared to a winter Christmas, it's like they are In different world. With seasons not being as distinct in more temperate climates one doesn't change their lifestyle much depending on the season

Old 01-26-2023, 05:56 PM

83 posts, read 69,146 times
Gold Beach, Oregon is a really interesting place for me because it's so cool in the summer and warm in the winter at 42N on a large continent. It could be compared to the Chatham Islands off the coast of New Zealand at 44S.

Seneca, Oregon, located in the same state, is a world apart from Gold Beach. It's subarctic, at 4,690ft above sea level, but the real kicker is it's diurnal range. July: 82/38. Wow.
Same goes for Abra Pampa, Argentina, high up on the Puna. Its winter diurnal range is insane. July: 58/10; August: 63/15.

There's good old Salalah, Oman, too. The Khareef is like nothing else on earth.

Also what fascinates me is how mild Denver is. It's at 5,280ft at 39.7N far away from any ocean, but the January stats are 47/18. Kansas City, about as far inland as Denver, but more than 4,000ft lower in elevation, has January stats of 40/22. I guess the mountains protect it? But not really, since North-South there aren't any significant ones. I don't get it, but it's great.

Also, Vinh, Vietnam, is at sea level at 18.7N, but it has a subtropical climate, according to Koppen, with a coldest-month mean of 63.5f.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:15 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,846,633 times
It's hard to say, though I do monitor non-Florida coastal areas of the southeast US because of palm growers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Obviously for me, it's the Southeast US' subtropical and tropical climates. The cream of the crop within all the places I monitor are as follows, in no particular order save number 1 being number 1.

-Dallas. Makes my list because it is the quintessential subtropical climate and has remarkably good weather monitoring..
I don't usually monitor areas in Texas outside of Galveston, but I did see that Dallas Love Field had a rain/snow mix a couple evenings ago and still managed to stay above freezing for the remainder of the night! They did hit 30 F this morning, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather