Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 08:57 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,935,472 times

Advertisements

While it snowed in the south, the north had some epic hail. This one pictured had at least 15cm in diameter, judging by known diameter of the weighing scale as parameter:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 11:44 AM

442 posts, read 122,925 times
A frosty morning for much of the upper South Island, with widespread pre-sunrise temperatures currently between -5C and -8C.

Much warmer around Motueka with the temperature at about 1C. Warmer in the lower South Island with Dunedin currently at 12C.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:17 PM

^^^^ Spoke too soon - dropped to -3.3C over the last hour or so ... a consequence of downslopes winds.

Still 1-2C in town though, only 5 km away.

... coldest recorded for this early May cold snap is -9.9C at Cass, elevated and inland from Christchurch

Last edited by sandshark; 05-09-2024 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 12:41 PM

836 posts, read 876,606 times
My home state Rio Grande do Sul in Brazil is going through a very hard time. Record-breaking storms and floods affected a huge portion of the state including the capital. Millions of people were somehow affected. More than 100 deaths and counting. More than 327 thousand people had to left their homes because of the extremely dangerous floods and most of them might have no home left to go back. Important roads are blocked because of floods and landslides, bridges collapsed, the most important airport of the state is flooded, some communities are isolated. The state is going to need a very expensive reconstruction.

Old 05-11-2024, 01:13 AM

Auroa going off here tonight (early evening)- very much a pink and purple affair and a faded out version covers about third of the sky.

Starlink went over and saw several shooting stars as well.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:58 AM

44 posts, read 14,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Auroa going off here tonight (early evening)- very much a pink and purple affair and a faded out version covers about third of the sky.

Starlink went over and saw several shooting stars as well.
My parents went to Australia/New Zealand in late January/first half of February. I'm not sure where they went in Australia, but I knew they went to Christchurch. I was just thinking about how they missed out of the Aurora Australis/Southern Lights by 3 months.

Old 05-18-2024, 05:15 PM

Have seen some lovely snow photos from friends down south, with 3-4 inches at 280 metres above sea level.

Just blue sky and frequent frost here, although there was a trace of rainfall last night- but back to another sunny week already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiEaglesfan712 View Post
My parents went to Australia/New Zealand in late January/first half of February. I'm not sure where they went in Australia, but I knew they went to Christchurch. I was just thinking about how they missed out of the Aurora Australis/Southern Lights by 3 months.
A shame for them, as it was very impressive - the second best I've seen here.... tell them to come visit again...

Old 05-27-2024, 11:41 PM

Stunning colours this autumn, with a prolonged period due to windless conditions - larch, silver birch, oak, gingko, maple and liquid amber and different willows, plus many others. Apples and grapes simply stunning.

Plenty of frost, and almost no rain for May.

Acacia, magnolias, tree lucerne already in flower, which might be dry related.

A bit of new snow on the higher peaks mid afternoon, but the melt pattern/ cloud conditions suggested some sort of rime ice event.

Old 05-28-2024, 06:47 AM

5,966 posts, read 6,179,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Stunning colours this autumn, with a prolonged period due to windless conditions - larch, silver birch, oak, gingko, maple and liquid amber and different willows, plus many others. Apples and grapes simply stunning.

Plenty of frost, and almost no rain for May.

Acacia, magnolias, tree lucerne already in flower, which might be dry related.

A bit of new snow on the higher peaks mid afternoon, but the melt pattern/ cloud conditions suggested some sort of rime ice event.
Magnolias bloom in autumn for you? The deciduous varieties bloom in spring (Apr-May) here, while southern Magnolia, which is mostly found a bit further south, blooms in the summer.

Old 05-28-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Magnolias bloom in autumn for you? The deciduous varieties bloom in spring (Apr-May) here, while southern Magnolia, which is mostly found a bit further south, blooms in the summer.
Deciduous magnolia usually bloom mid winter, so this is unusually early.

Southern magnolia seems erratic for flowering to me, with about a six month period where flowers will appear individually or in small groups - a southern Magnolia fully covered in flower is something I became used to seeing when living in Christchurch, but seldom see here.

A large percentage of daffodils emerged about a month ago -while it's standard to get a few through June, the timing and extent this year was also very unusual.

Thinking the dry may be a factor- has only been around 180mm of rain for the year to date, and on 12 days of rain, but with 130mm of it falling on one day and the daffodils appearing shortly after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather