Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more subtropical?
NZ 4 16.67%
Virginia 12 50.00%
Both in their way 3 12.50%
Not sure it is too hard to really know 0 0%
Depends what part of each place 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 03:59 PM

405 posts, read 82,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshark View Post
Actually, only norfolk qualifies under trewartha. All other 6 cities on the wiki climate of virginia page have 5 months under 10 c mean. Even wellington only has one month below a 10 c mean, at 9.8 c
Yeah part of it is, while under Köppen in NZ only Norfolk Island has subtropical climate the rest is oceanic no matter how you see it. Trewartha makes places very hogh latitude and with no summer subtropical. How can Isles of Scilly in UK potentially be considered subtropical, it is pure oceanic. Accept now that Oceanic climates can grow subtropical vegetation and in some cases like North Island many tropicals too. Look, Cale Cod Massachusetts has an Oceanic climate under -3°C isotherm, and Ilex Opaca is native to there still, Ilex Opaca is native to humid-subtropical climate of US! Even a nearly continental oceanic has a type of subtropical plant as a native, that is crazy. Now NZ oceanic with more tropical leanings, bro not only subtropical plants, that is nothing, NZ can have tropical vegetation being grown obviously. Oceanic climates have this charm.

Infact in Vancouver Island people are growing citrus, banana, an many palms. It is not subtropical there, nope it is warm-summer Mediterranean(Csb) and Oceanic(Cfb). I found a Csa place though in BC, Lytton. It is probably the northernmost place with the hot summer subtype of Mediterranean(basically a dry-summer subtropical), and under the -3°C is Csa, under the 0°C is Dsa probably, but people are growing vineyards typical of Mediterranean climate so I see it Csa(a rare high latitude colder winter version of it).

My point is Oceanic climates are a very close relative of subtropical, infact the difference of humid-subtropical and oceanic is the summer average temperatures(if Virginia had NZ’s summers it would be oceanic instead and NZ with Virginia’s summers would be subtropical, and definitely a nearly tropical one!), the 22°C isotherm. These climates(C) the temperates, are the mild climates typically, NZ is one of them and being in a warmer side shows tropical characteristic's making us think it’s subtropical but not really it is oceanic with very mild conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 04:02 PM

Jiouyuezao mandarin, is hardy to 8a, in Coastal Virginia it’s being grown. Actually they are growing it in Long Island, NY. And that is only one example.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:06 PM

I was actually born in zone 8a, I know what you can grow. I was then in zone 7b and bro they can manage so many exotic plants still! Inland US south it’s still subtropical bro, I know what I mean, now I live in Florida, degree in average coldest month of being tropical, so many tropical fruit can be grown man, it is only 1 step from tropical, and in winter I can feel very cold still, so I can assure you if this is tropical, Virginia is perfectly subtropical. I’ve in Oceanic climates, bro their temperatures feel similar to subtropical except summers which feel like spring or fall never ended, or like if the nighttime lows also stayed for highs in summer.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:08 PM

I had to study more climate classification to know that Florida is only tropical climate is the South, and the Central part is transitional.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:08 PM

386 posts, read 97,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Yeah part of it is, while under Köppen in NZ only Norfolk Island has subtropical climate the rest is oceanic no matter how you see it. Trewartha makes places very hogh latitude and with no summer subtropical. How can Isles of Scilly in UK potentially be considered subtropical, it is pure oceanic. Accept now that Oceanic climates can grow subtropical vegetation and in some cases like North Island many tropicals too. Look, Cale Cod Massachusetts has an Oceanic climate under -3°C isotherm, and Ilex Opaca is native to there still, Ilex Opaca is native to humid-subtropical climate of US! Even a nearly continental oceanic has a type of subtropical plant as a native, that is crazy. Now NZ oceanic with more tropical leanings, bro not only subtropical plants, that is nothing, NZ can have tropical vegetation being grown obviously. Oceanic climates have this charm.

Infact in Vancouver Island people are growing citrus, banana, an many palms. It is not subtropical there, nope it is warm-summer Mediterranean(Csb) and Oceanic(Cfb). I found a Csa place though in BC, Lytton. It is probably the northernmost place with the hot summer subtype of Mediterranean(basically a dry-summer subtropical), and under the -3°C is Csa, under the 0°C is Dsa probably, but people are growing vineyards typical of Mediterranean climate so I see it Csa(a rare high latitude colder winter version of it).

My point is Oceanic climates are a very close relative of subtropical, infact the difference of humid-subtropical and oceanic is the summer average temperatures(if Virginia had NZ’s summers it would be oceanic instead and NZ with Virginia’s summers would be subtropical, and definitely a nearly tropical one!), the 22°C isotherm. These climates(C) the temperates, are the mild climates typically, NZ is one of them and being in a warmer side shows tropical characteristic's making us think it’s subtropical but not really it is oceanic with very mild conditions.
Vancouver Island doesn't really grow citrus, and the bananas that survive in exceptional environments, are hardy to the point of being grown in nyc, dc, etc. My idea of a citrus climate is like here, where I can buy a cheap orange tree and expect a shopping bag of fruit within a year or , and for bananas to expect eating bananas off every plant grown within 18 -24 months.

I agree that nz is oceanic, but much of it could be regarded as cool summer subtropical in relation to crop production, which isn't true of the scilly isles or vancouver island etc.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Could you post some evidence of this? I've only see one orange, which was in portsmouth growing against a wall, and a lemon in london which was a very modified warmth environment with a degree of protection.

Have followed a number of UK gardening forums for quite a few years, and have yet to see a post in which any poster claimed to have produced citrus fruit that wasn't in a container that was moved indoors/outdoors.
Well, the thing is that not everybody does that in UK often, in UK they are more palm tree people obsessed, and and tall palms are even being grown in Scotland! Edinburgh being zone 8, the Jiouyuezao mandarin could potentially be grown, and many more.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Vancouver Island doesn't really grow citrus, and the bananas that survive in exceptional environments, are hardy to the point of being grown in nyc, dc, etc. My idea of a citrus climate is like here, where I can buy a cheap orange tree and expect a shopping bag of fruit within a year or , and for bananas to expect eating bananas off every plant grown within 18 -24 months.

I agree that nz is oceanic, but much of it could be regarded as cool summer subtropical in relation to crop production, which isn't true of the scilly isles or vancouver island etc.
My friend in Victoria, BC is growing 3 species outdoors. Cold hardy lemon, cold hardy lime, and sometimes mandarins, not the best climate due to summer dry season, but they do well at least in the mild weather.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:19 PM

386 posts, read 97,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtropical-is-temperate3 View Post
Well, the thing is that not everybody does that in UK often, in UK they are more palm tree people obsessed, and and tall palms are even being grown in Scotland! Edinburgh being zone 8, the Jiouyuezao mandarin could potentially be grown, and many more.
There is a reason they don't do that often in the uk, and it's the same reason I wouldn't bother trying to grow a mango. There are really only windmill palms in scotland. Very hard to find information on the mandarin and what is mentioned is that lack of taste. Mandarins and other citrus need sufficient heat in all seasons, not just frost hardiness, and this is why the only two uk examples I have seen, were in highly modified environments.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Well the cool-summer subtropical could be a thing, but that would start making places oceanic be called such, remember many oceanic places can grow many subtropical species, in many cases tropical species. Remember that wether the form of subtropical highland or even in maritime form, Oceanic climates can border tropical climates under Köppen with the 18°C isotherm.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
There is a reason they don't do that often in the uk, and it's the same reason I wouldn't bother trying to grow a mango. There are really only windmill palms in scotland. Very hard to find information on the mandarin and what is mentioned is that lack of taste. Mandarins and other citrus need sufficient heat in all seasons, not just frost hardiness, and this is why the only two uk examples I have seen, were in highly modified environments.
Not only windmills, windmills are the most accessible to them, but they grow more species, I even saw Chamaerops humilis, European fan palm hardy to 8b, it was in a coastal area that took up to 8b.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather