Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2024, 08:14 AM

33 posts, read 12,589 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I decided to train my heat tolerance since I might have to be sleeping in a car by summer meaning I have to get adjusted to Houston heat and humidity in a locked car windows up in the summer. So yesterday I decided to go inside a car during 3PM and I stayed inside until a little after 4PM and that is a little over an hour. I survived but I feel kind of bleh and my legs hurt this morning. The main weather station near me was down but Google had it was 90F with a heat index of 100F and it was sunny and the car was in the sun on the back side as well, and I sat in the back for maximum heat exposure.

Even so, the morning temps still feel hot to me and it is only 80F with a dew point of 75F. If that is making me sweat outside then I need more training but I feel the hot car training might be dangerous.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 03:18 PM

5,913 posts, read 6,136,240 times
I guess people go into saunas and sweat lodges, although the sweat lodges are still at least supervised.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:51 PM

410 posts, read 109,475 times
A number of times I've left the pleasant NZ summer for a uninsulated tin shack in rural Victoria, where the indoor temperature could reach 41C - I found the "do nothing" strategy, was the best.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:12 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,011,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MageDragon View Post
Yesterday I decided to train my heat tolerance since I might have to be sleeping in a car by summer meaning I have to get adjusted to Houston heat and humidity in a locked car windows up in the summer. So yesterday I decided to go inside a car during 3PM and I stayed inside until a little after 4PM and that is a little over an hour. I survived but I feel kind of bleh and my legs hurt this morning. The main weather station near me was down but Google had it was 90F with a heat index of 100F and it was sunny and the car was in the sun on the back side as well, and I sat in the back for maximum heat exposure.

Even so, the morning temps still feel hot to me and it is only 80F with a dew point of 75F. If that is making me sweat outside then I need more training but I feel the hot car training might be dangerous.

What do you all think?
Don't. A car gets hot enough to kill and the other issues is Dehydration. With heat stroke you go from feeling fine to dizzy, about to pass out, and nauseated in seconds. I did this once, and if it were not for the fact that I was near some drink in a Grocery store and the people near me noticed what was happing, I would have needed an ambulance ride and I was in no condition to call them or do anything else.

Do not sleep in a car with windows closed even at night in summer. Do drink lots of water and make sure you don't have any other health conditions. You also need a period of coolness to recover after exposure to high heat. You need a better plan than sitting in a car in any temperature over 80F. I am not kidding. You will get too hot so fast that you won't be able to get help before your dead.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

33 posts, read 12,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Don't. A car gets hot enough to kill and the other issues is Dehydration. With heat stroke you go from feeling fine to dizzy, about to pass out, and nauseated in seconds. I did this once, and if it were not for the fact that I was near some drink in a Grocery store and the people near me noticed what was happing, I would have needed an ambulance ride and I was in no condition to call them or do anything else.

Do not sleep in a car with windows closed even at night in summer. Do drink lots of water and make sure you don't have any other health conditions. You also need a period of coolness to recover after exposure to high heat. You need a better plan than sitting in a car in any temperature over 80F. I am not kidding. You will get too hot so fast that you won't be able to get help before your dead.
Eh I'm outside typically for 12 hours a day bare minimum 6 days a week. As for windows down I have no control over that. Whatever other people want me to do I listen. Sometimes they want it up, but mostly down. Just how life is. Anyways this probably is no different than living in a place without air conditioning. People do it in Europe all the time. I think I can handle a Houston summer in a car.

Edit: though one concern I have is our health. Been feeling a bit more dizzy recently and a person with me is having lots of side pain as well as me. The fact we have the same symptoms is concerning. Two of them are elderly (one of them only a few months away from being elderly.) but I'm young and in decent shape.

After looking up on the Internet this isn't dangerous at all. People do it even in places like Phoenix with overnight lows of 90. Houston should be a piece of cake. I will probably try to do another hot car training session where I stay inside a hot car in sunlight for an hour to train myself more.

Last edited by MageDragon; Yesterday at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather