Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 PM

137 posts, read 267,839 times

Advertisements

My current company is an extreme case.

Our CIO is the chairman's son, his sister is an IT director (she has a degree in fashion). The app dev director is the CIO's cousin, etc. I later discovered that literally every director is a relation of the CIO. That's wrong in my opinion, and why I'm willing to take less money to get out of the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 PM

640 posts, read 1,217,453 times
You'll see people that have excellent jobs in the government and they don’t have clean backgrounds or a good education. 35 year old female managers of stores that only have a GED, or nothing at all. They only got the job because they are good looking. It's in the same category as discrimination, if you ask me. Instead people call it "networking".

Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,237,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
You'll see people that have excellent jobs in the government and they don’t have clean backgrounds or a good education. 35 year old female managers of stores that only have a GED, or nothing at all. They only got the job because they are good looking. It's in the same category as discrimination, if you ask me. Instead people call it "networking".
They can call it networking, but that's not networking.

By the way, I know a manager of a store in a local mall who fits your description. She's been working for that chain since she was 19 and worked her way up. She earned her job the hard way and is far more capable than any 24 year old with a degree in fashion merchandising who thinks they know it all because they've got $100K in student loans and a degree from FIT.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:12 AM

315 posts, read 565,788 times
Where I work pretty much all the employees are related to my boss except for me and four others. Boss treats them harder if anything. She is very fair. It's her business an I simply work for her, so it is really none of my business I suppose.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:31 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,043,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post
My current company is an extreme case.

Our CIO is the chairman's son, his sister is an IT director (she has a degree in fashion). The app dev director is the CIO's cousin, etc. I later discovered that literally every director is a relation of the CIO. That's wrong in my opinion, and why I'm willing to take less money to get out of the company.
I work in BtoB technology sales and you frequently see that in smaller companies and even more so in small professional firms (lawyers, accountants). I don't know anyone who likes working with them as professionalism is rare, they view their positions as gravy trains and rarely seem to make good, thoughtful decisions for their organizations.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM

503 posts, read 478,579 times
it aint what you know....you know the rest.

If you think about it, it will just frustrate you....but at the same time, you cant hate. In every workplace you'll find it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,230,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
If you don't like Nepotism, don't move to small towns. We've had lots of experience with it. Even in a town of 200,000, and with 30 years of nursing experience as an RN, you have to "know someone" to get a job. My wife works in a hospital that is full of it. Everyone in town knows it. Apply through HR without special help from inside? You're wasting your time, unless they're really desperate to fill the job, and can't find anyone.
Its not just "small town" syndrome. I live in a top 50 metro area, in the biggest city in Virginia, and Ive seen nothing but nepotism. Its pretty much a rampant problem in any company that isnt publically traded, and its still a pretty large problem even in publically traded companies.

You probably can decrease the effect by going to cities with a larger percentage of huge international employers, maybe NYC, Chicago or Atlanta, but youll never get rid of it.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,230,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post

Ive always found it odd how government operations, such as the post office and the DMV, are full of the same exact slackers, all of whom seem like theyd probably be in the same peer circle outside of work, yet Ive never so much as received a call back from numerous government jobs Ive applied to.

Ive always suspected some form of nepotism within the government, but Ive never had a government job, so I cant know for sure.

I do know my brother who works in government contracting said when it comes to government or government contracting jobs, military service especially disabled veteran status, pretty much assures the applicant the job, even if they arent remotely qualified. My brother says thats a large reason why the government is so inefficient, at least in the tech sector, is that they are so obsessed with giving veteran preference, as well as other hiring preferences, that they are placing unqualified or poorly qualified people in jobs just to say they hired them.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Was he able to do the work?
I agree that this is the most important question. If the person can do the job, then so what?

That being said, I have only ever worked in the corporate world, and once you reach a certain level of management, you are not allowed to hire family members. That is a pretty common rule in the publicly traded world.

Let me ask this question to those of you who are complaining about Nepotism: If you owned a company and your brother was out of work for a year, would you try to get them a job in your company?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM

503 posts, read 478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Let me ask this question to those of you who are complaining about Nepotism: If you owned a company and your brother was out of work for a year, would you try to get them a job in your company?
Its an interesting question.

'Dont hate the player, hate the game"

On one end, you cant fault the guy from hiring a struggling family member, but on the other, its frustrating to those coming from smaller families with limited networks who are probably better suited for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment