Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,963,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Your item 2 -- in the employment application process, which is what this thread has been about, the person isn't yet employed, so this does not and cannot apply.
No, the OP was not posting about the employment application process. Employment application never entered the picture until post #40 veered off into that area.

The OP was already employed...starting work in his cubicle and another employee asked the question if he'd be offended if they discuss religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 02:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,514,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
True, but religious conversations are really sticky, tricky territory due to the tendency of some religions (and some of their adherents) to take the position that anyone who doesn't follow that particular religion is doomed or damned or a bad person or whatever. So there is an enormous responsibility to avoid even the appearance of implying this in the course of the conversation, if you're having it in the presence or earshot of people who may belong to a variety of faiths or none at all.
Not really. If I do not share the same beliefs that I am "damned" if I don't think like you do, then there's nothing for me to get bothered about. While I don't particularly enjoy any conversation in the office that is opinionated and doesn't agree with my personal opinions, it happens, and a conversation about religion shouldn't have to live up to any higher standard than one about football, one about politics, or one about anything else. If I don't enjoy overhearing conversations, I have the option to put my headphones in and not listen, but I do not have the right to dictate what others are allowed to discuss, as long as it does not break laws.

Quote:
Doesn't mean you can't ever say, "Hey, we just started working on a really neat piece of music in my church choir last week," but you probably shouldn't be discussing doctrinal matters with or around anyone you don't know is a member of your own faith. And it's rarely safe to assume...
But again, I don't see this as different than any other conversation that may or may not be of interest to others. I do not enjoy every conversation that my coworkers have over lunch. The ones that I enjoy, I participate in. The ones I don't, I chew my food, or if it's long and rambling, I might take the opportunity for a bathroom break, or just go back to my desk to read.

Quote:
other than in jest, how often have you ever run into a situation where it's implied that rooting for a different football team will result in your eternal damnation / make you an unfit parent / means you must secretly be a terrorist / etc.? (And I say this as a Pittsburgh Steelers fan who's spent 13 years living in greater Cleveland... *twitch* ) That's why religion is on a different level from things you may or may not have "an interest" in. Religion often involves matters of judgment. Football doesn't.
I think you're missing my point that if you don't believe these things, they simply don't matter. Now, if they are creating a hostile work environment by saying, "Kitkatbar, you are going to hell," that's inappropriate and should be stopped by the boss, but a generalized discussion of religion, or doctrinal matters, IMHO, should not be forbidden just because some people don't like partaking in it, any more than the subject of books, tv shows, or sports should be. For every person who finds a topic interesting and desirable, there's one who finds it to be inappropriate for whatever reason. You and I might enjoy discussing a PG rated movie. I knew a girl in college (we were in a study group together) who considered anything with a stronger rating than "G" to be inappropriate, and refused to watch it. She might consider our conversation about a movie we both enjoyed to be offensive.

In short, there are rules already that employees cannot create a hostile environment. They cannot make sexually harassing comments that make others uncomfortable. But if we start limiting conversation beyond reasonable norms, I think we go overboard. There IS the option just not to listen.

Last edited by kitkatbar; 12-14-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 03:00 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,496,296 times
I consider myself agnostic. That said I don't really mind religious Christians much though the really pushy ones can get a bit annoying. I find other groups that inflict their nonsense beliefs on others much more annoying (HR people) as I can say no and tune out the annoying Christians.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:42 PM

872 posts, read 1,266,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I'll take "Most awkward and inappropriate questions from the first day at a new job" for $1,000, Alex!

I kid you not. [...]
Hahah, no kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The appropriate response would have been "I'm glad to know religious discussions are OK. I always enjoy talking about Satan, my master."
OK. Nearly spat out my drink. You need to put a warning before extreme funny.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment