Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 PM

303 posts, read 396,692 times

Advertisements

He or she is saying that a BK serves as a *barrier* to receiving clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,203,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Here we go again. I challenge you Texas, to demonstrate this correlation to me. I have challenged several posters who have stated the exact same premise: that people with bad debt/bad credit are more likely to steal/be a bad employee/be irresponsible on the job, blah, blah, blah. So far not a one has been able to show me this conclusively. I say companies just do this to discriminate against people with bad credit, the people who need jobs the most.
If you do a web search and research "Does poor credit score correlate to poor work performance?" you would find evidence concluding both Yes and No. So, I say we call it a draw. Clearly, as even you point out, there are many people that have a similar opinion as mine- and probably yours as well.

I believe that although there are any number of valid reasons that people have financial problems, including lay off and catastrophic medical conditions- the vast majority of people are in those situations because they put themselves there. They exhibit poor judgment- in the workplace and in their personal lives. I would want to avoid them as potential employees.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Here we go again. I challenge you Texas, to demonstrate this correlation to me. I have challenged several posters who have stated the exact same premise: that people with bad debt/bad credit are more likely to steal/be a bad employee/be irresponsible on the job, blah, blah, blah. So far not a one has been able to show me this conclusively. I say companies just do this to discriminate against people with bad credit, the people who need jobs the most.
What kind of proof will satisfy you?

Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
Think about it from an employer's point of view.

In cases of identity fraud, somebody's credit is so terrible that they steal a customer's identity. It's not somebody with 800+ FICO score stealing the identify of somebody with a 650 FICO. If the customer sues the bank, they will at the identity thief and poke holes in his employment. If it's a poor credit history, the bank/govt is going to be dragged through the mud for poor hiring practices.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,647,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, it sounds like there is more to the story here.

Yiuppy, you have posted before that you're homeless and cannot find work. You don't have any credit card debt?
Absolutely none and I hate using credit. The only debts I have are private and federal student loans, and a balance on my last semester's tuition before I graduated, which is being paid down slowly. My federal loans are in good standing because I'm on an income based repayment plan. My private student loans, however, are trouble and it's a struggle managing to make full payments every single month on an income of zero soliciting the help of the one family member I'm still in touch with. I'm just not going to bother with a government job search anymore and leave it at that.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Absolutely none and I hate using credit. The only debts I have are private and federal student loans, and a balance on my last semester's tuition before I graduated, which is being paid down slowly. My federal loans are in good standing because I'm on an income based repayment plan. My private student loans, however, are trouble and it's a struggle managing to make full payments every single month on an income of zero soliciting the help of the one family member I'm still in touch with. I'm just not going to bother with a government job search anymore and leave it at that.

That's exactly what Mpowering was talking about. If struggle to manage means on-time payments every month, then it's strange that you would be hit for credit history issues.

If struggling to manage your debt means late payments, then you know the reason for rejection.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-04-2014 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,663 posts, read 81,421,151 times
You should be monitoring your credit regularly, job hunting or not, with all of the identity theft these days. If in fact you have late payments on a student loan, I'm not surprised that they or most private employers would pass. They no doubt have plenty of qualified applicants with clean credit to choose from. All employers can still be picky, you can bad mouth them all you want, it doesn't change that. They are not going to pick the person that needs the job the most, that's just not good business.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
What do you do on a daily basis to bring in money? Any money at all?

I think most people in your position would be out there knocking on doors offering to mow, clean, walk dogs, scoop poop, wash cars, etc. Have you done any of those things? I thought not.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Yiuppy, thanks for the clarification. As previously stated by move4ward, late tuition payments and late student loan payments, are more than likely the reason for the bad credit ratings - and not just the existence of students loans, which do not impact your credit rating.

It's unfortunate, but all you can do is hang in there and try to find a job where the employee doesn't care, and then get back on track with your payments.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 AM

381 posts, read 815,086 times
I think if you made some payments on this debt, and showing progress towards paying it off, you still have a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment