Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,710,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
The vast majority of people that had catastrophic medical conditions put themselves there? Wow.

Do you feel that making a statement like that exhibits good judgment? If not, wouldn't an employer rightly believe you should be avoided as an employee?

I won't say a vast majority, but a larger portion than you might think. It's the lack of planning leading up to the medical condition that needs to be considered. None of us know what might happen to us tomorrow, so we should plan for the worst and hope for the best. Savings, investments, etc..... all play a part in preparing someone for catastrophes that could occur down the road. If you live day to day with no plan for the future, then yes you put yourself there. There may be exceptions to the rule, but I'd feel comfortable saying that what I stated for the most part is true.

As for racking up student loans, no one forces anyone to do it. If you don't have a plan to pay them back then you fall into the unprepared category. If you are hoping to someday get a job to pay them back knowing you cannot do it with your current job, you are ill-prepared and slightly foolish. If you rack up student loans, you might as well finish the degree and try to find a better paying job to get yourself out of debt. If you already came into student loans with excessive debt (which I believe may have been the case here) and you cannot pay to complete your degree you went about this backwards. See where I'm going with this?

Planning is absolutely everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM

5,849 posts, read 6,234,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
The vast majority of people that had catastrophic medical conditions put themselves there? Wow.

Do you feel that making a statement like that exhibits good judgment? If not, wouldn't an employer rightly believe you should be avoided as an employee?
Dysgenic- I think you have misinterpreted my statement. Perhaps I could have been more clear in my sentence structure. I was citing medical conditions as an example of a valid reason one could have financial problems, while trying to point out that most people with financial problems are NOT in that category, but rather their problems are due to issues primarily of their own making.

Hope that clarifies.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM

14 posts, read 15,878 times
Default You are probably being conned.

The Government, to my knowledge, does not participate in "Job Fairs".

Today's job fairs are conducted by "Phishers". Phishers' are people who set up various "engines" to gather as much information about your identity so they can steal it.

If you want a government job, you will have to apply through the Civil Service Board. They have offices throughout the United States; usually in or around the larger cities.

Stay away from Staffing Agencies and Job Fairs. They are not safe and a waste of your time.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,846,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie64 View Post
The Government, to my knowledge, does not participate in "Job Fairs".

Today's job fairs are conducted by "Phishers". Phishers' are people who set up various "engines" to gather as much information about your identity so they can steal it.

If you want a government job, you will have to apply through the Civil Service Board. They have offices throughout the United States; usually in or around the larger cities.

Stay away from Staffing Agencies and Job Fairs. They are not safe and a waste of your time.
Some do, but for a different reason. Back in 2010 the City of Seattle had layoffs, and did a job fair for other local employers to come in and provide employment information on their companies to the newly unemployed city employees.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:36 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,043,400 times
Welcome to the world of responsible grown-ups. god luck.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:19 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,965,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I just received an email from a recruiter that I've been trashed from prescreening for a federal position because of "the amount of bad debt" in my credit report. Student loans are bad debts now??? I never bought a car, never bought a house, never been on vacations, never had a judgment, never filed for bankruptcy, never was evicted, and all of my federal student loans are in good standing.

This is a joke and no wonder the government is so inefficient. They're hiring people based on completely superficial reasons who don't care about the job, and are non-thinking paper pushers, and not hiring skilled people merely because they're in debt for investing in their college education. Wow. I'm not even going to try applying for any government jobs anymore, not even state. This is absurd and unfair. Why are they even advertising that they're not hiring if they aren't hiring anyone who actually needs the job to pay the debts? Why are they even at job fairs in DC, knowing damn well most of the people who show up have less than stellar credit ratings? Why pretend to be hiring people? Oh yeah they're only hiring people who don't need a job anyway.
So basically you're trying to GUESS what's on your credit report?

Student loan debt is NOT called "bad debt"

BAD DEBT means you owe someone in arrears. A write off. Or in collections.

I notice you stated "all my FEDERAL student loans are in good standing".

Wordsmithing. Do you have some OTHER non Federal student loans NOT in good standing?

Get your credit report and straighten it out.

Be as mad as you want; you're only hurting yourself.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:22 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,503,482 times
You really think not paying $100,000 in student loans wasn't going to be an issue at some point?

Old 09-05-2014, 05:27 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,867,389 times
How ironic. People get jobs to pay off their bills.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:05 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,559,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I won't say a vast majority, but a larger portion than you might think. It's the lack of planning leading up to the medical condition that needs to be considered. None of us know what might happen to us tomorrow, so we should plan for the worst and hope for the best. Savings, investments, etc..... all play a part in preparing someone for catastrophes that could occur down the road. If you live day to day with no plan for the future, then yes you put yourself there. There may be exceptions to the rule, but I'd feel comfortable saying that what I stated for the most part is true.

As for racking up student loans, no one forces anyone to do it. If you don't have a plan to pay them back then you fall into the unprepared category. If you are hoping to someday get a job to pay them back knowing you cannot do it with your current job, you are ill-prepared and slightly foolish. If you rack up student loans, you might as well finish the degree and try to find a better paying job to get yourself out of debt. If you already came into student loans with excessive debt (which I believe may have been the case here) and you cannot pay to complete your degree you went about this backwards. See where I'm going with this?

Planning is absolutely everything.

??? How much do you propose that a minimum wage worker save and invest?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:07 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,559,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
So basically you're trying to GUESS what's on your credit report?

Student loan debt is NOT called "bad debt"

BAD DEBT means you owe someone in arrears. A write off. Or in collections.

I notice you stated "all my FEDERAL student loans are in good standing".

Wordsmithing. Do you have some OTHER non Federal student loans NOT in good standing?

Get your credit report and straighten it out.

Be as mad as you want; you're only hurting yourself.

How might someone on a poverty-leve income straighten out their credit report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment