Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

I'm studying at a community college for an A.A.S in Business Management/Finance. Is it too much for me to ask for $30k if i lack a BS in Business? I'm not even decided on to go for a BS or not, but i'm just interested in knowing if i'm gonna have a diffcult time making a livable wage on an A.A.S?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm studying at a community college for an A.A.S in Business Management/Finance. Is it too much for me to ask for $30k if i lack a BS in Business? I'm not even decided on to go for a BS or not, but i'm just interested in knowing if i'm gonna have a diffcult time making a livable wage on an A.A.S?
Unless you are talking about some specific areas, the AA is about the same as no degree. Ask for whatever you need to make, if they hire you, they gotta pay you anyway.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,722 times
Quote:

Depends on where you live.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Depends on where you live.
How about in the South (VA, NC, SC, GA, TN, KY)?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
Quote:
Still going to depend. Atlanta, GA/Raleigh, NC/Richmond, VA is going to pay more than Harriman, TN or Big Stone Gap, VA.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,722 times
Quote:
In northern VA where i live....30K is considered below minimum for accounting & finance jobs.

If the population of where you live is over 70,000 thousand go ahead and ask for something between 35 and 38K. If less than that just say "I was hoping for low thirties or perhaps mid"

Old 02-18-2008, 04:36 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Unless you are talking about some specific areas, the AA is about the same as no degree. Ask for whatever you need to make, if they hire you, they gotta pay you anyway.
I disagree. Any post-secondary certificate or degree will give you a competitive advantage over someone with just a G.E.D. or high school diploma...come on .

Keep in mind though that as a new graduate...you should look at more than money. Look for opportunities for advancement and to learn new or enhance your skill set.

However, if you are contemplating whether to keep going for your Bachelor's...you may as well do so and get it over with. There is a good chance that even if you get a decent paying job, you will need to further your education to move into higher management positions. So unless your grades or your financial situation won't allow you to do so, you should keep continuing on to get your Bachelors.

P.S. - I worked in an office with a un-related degree (A.S. in Electronics) and made 35K/yr; so I don't think that what you're asking for is outlandish. Rather you will receive it or not is another story however.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I disagree. Any post-secondary certificate or degree will give you a competitive advantage over someone with just a G.E.D. or high school diploma...come on .
Like I said, depends on the field. In many fields, you will not be considered with either an AA or a High School diploma. You need a four year degree to enter most professional fields.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Like I said, depends on the field. In many fields, you will not be considered with either an AA or a High School diploma. You need a four year degree to enter most professional fields.
A degree is important; in fact helps immensely. But it's not "necessary". I worked for a condominium developer that had several managers going around that were not college graduates. Young people (so people that were hired within the last 5 years) too. That is because the company culture went strong on hiring via a tight network and would advance upon abilities (so some people started in the mail room and just went up). Similarly, I have 3 friends who work in the computer science/I.T. field and either dropped out or did not attend college. Yes, they are extremely talented and the people they work for have an appreciation for that.

Your chances for success are better with a Bachelor's degree for sure; but you can do just fine with an Associate's as long as you work to make you own opportunities and have a plan (and maybe some connections).

Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Similarly, I have 3 friends who work in the computer science/I.T. field and either dropped out or did not attend college. Yes, they are extremely talented and the people they work for have an appreciation for that.
Extremely talented people will always find a job. But where I work, if you don't have a 4 year degree, you will never even get an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment